Question for those that paint silicone masks.

Egon Spengler

Master Member
I'm gearing up to finally paint my silicone mask.

I have several different colors I need to mix up for it and plan to refrigerate them to keep them from curing.

I use Psycho Paint and Novocs.

My question is when you personally get ready to paint your projects, do you mix one color at a time as you use them, or do you mix a few at a time and just store them away refrigerated to keep them from curing quickly in their containers so you can finish one color on the mask and move on to the next.

Any other silicone painting tips would be cool too. OH! I'm going to need to mask off parts of the mask so I can have some sharp edges on certain painted areas.

Of course only silicone really sticks to silicone, so what temporary product would you use to mask or make a mask for painting on silicone?

Thanks!

The Stan Winston online school has a great 2 part course on painting silicone. I watched it before I painted silicone for the first time which made the process very easy and fun.

I find their videos save me from making a lot of mistakes!

I have several different colors I need to mix up for it and plan to refrigerate them to keep them from curing.
What I do is premixing the tint into the silicone but A and B separate. This way you don´t have to worry about them curing. Then when you are going to paint you just mix the pretinted A+B.

Thanks guys. My mask is coming along nicely. I just need a way to mask off areas. Cant get anything to stick. Tried brushing on Vaseline but that comes out all uneven. Might end up having to freehand airbrush it but thats going tonbe tough to get sharp clean lines with.

We have masking tape for thermal spray that is fiberglass with silicone rubber on top and a silicone adhesive. That would probably stick but I don’t know where the general public could buy it.

It’s made by DeWal if you want to fire up the google-fu.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back