Question after initial modelling

cayal

Hi all,

I am currently working on a model of the Blades of Chaos from God of War.
This is my first attempy at paper crafting and so far so good. I've almost completed the initial model.

I am using 160gsm paper for the build but after I have finished the first stage I want to fix up some small issues (such as imperfect edges) and strengthen it before I paint it.

I was wondering if anyone could pass on some advice on best way to do this. Basically I want to make it solid enough so if it drops it won't damage and it also won't change shape if someone squeezes it too hard or something.

I understand people generally use resin for this? And a filler like bondo?
I have also seen people simply brushing water and PVC to strengthen the paper as well. And, also fibreglass sheets too.

So there are a lot of options but I am at a loss on what to use, where to start, so any help would be great.

Thanks! :)

That is quite a challenge for Pepakura. You can use the file you are creating as a stencil and carve them out of foam and seal it with flex seal.
After assembly you can spray expanding foam into it. Blocking the sides with flat surfaces will help prevent any bulging.
Any resins you put on the outside will need to be applied in thin layers. You can disregard using any fiberglass sheet or mat. These would have to be applied to the inside.

That is quite a challenge for Pepakura.

I've actually found it not *too* bad.

Any resins you put on the outside will need to be applied in thin layers.

Dumb question, is resin a liquid that is painted on? I'm not up to the stage yet so I haven't bought any/looked into it.

Will it assist in fixing up the smaller issues like the overlapping paper (resin/harden/sand it down), or simply to just make the prop harder/tougher?

Thanks for the reply.

The resin is for hardening. It will be brushed on. You'll have a limited work time with it. Practice on something before working on your final piece. When the paper becomes wet with the resin, there is a good change the paper will start to sag inward (as wet paper does). Putty body filler helps to fill in and smooth imperfections.
Don't sand down the overlapping paper unless you have some sort of interior structure to build upon. Without anything on the inside, a resin will harden the surface enough to apply body filler. The body filler will end up being the final piece. Sand and shape this to look like you want. When your piece starts showing through the filler, stop sanding in that area. (Just like clothing, during the winter you can always put more layers on. During the summer, there are only so many layers you can take off.)

Read and follow the directions that come with any products you use. Most companies these days have a "how to" video on Youtube.

The resin is for hardening. It will be brushed on. You'll have a limited work time with it. Practice on something before working on your final piece. When the paper becomes wet with the resin, there is a good change the paper will start to sag inward (as wet paper does). Putty body filler helps to fill in and smooth imperfections.
Don't sand down the overlapping paper unless you have some sort of interior structure to build upon. Without anything on the inside, a resin will harden the surface enough to apply body filler. The body filler will end up being the final piece. Sand and shape this to look like you want. When your piece starts showing through the filler, stop sanding in that area. (Just like clothing, during the winter you can always put more layers on. During the summer, there are only so many layers you can take off.)

Read and follow the directions that come with any products you use. Most companies these days have a "how to" video on Youtube.

I have seen people harden paper by using water and pvc glue and brushed on. I might look into it more to see if it will strengthen it before I apply the resin.
Then I will use the body filler.

These props are only for my theater room so I focusing more on looks than feel.

Thanks again for your response. :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back