Question about sizing a sculpt for a silicone mask.

Egon Spengler

Master Member
I'm sculpting a silicone mask onto a life size Ed Head 2.0 bust. I want the mask to fit me well enough that it fits relatively snug but lets me open and close the mouth when I talk.
I've attached an image showing the dimensions of my own real head/neck and dimensions of the head and neck of the sculpt.
I am wondering how much room I should have in the sculpt to insure the masks has a bit of give when trying to put it on and as well as while wearing it.
I'm afraid that if I make it too small that the masks mouth will just kind of stretch open and the eyes as well. I am also concerned if I make it too big the mouth won't open and close when I talk.
In my head measurement, I went across my nose too.

Around my forehead is 24"
Around my head and over my nose is 19.5"V
Vertically around my head is 26"
Around my neck is 15"

Around sculpt forehead is 24"
Around sculpted head and over my nose is 22.5"V
Vertically around sculpted is 27"
Around the masks neck is 17.5"

Should I increase or decrease any of these?
I plan on using Dragonskin or Ecoflex and using power mesh as well. I'd like to keep the thickness of the silicone rather thin for weight purposes.

Attachments

• ewew.jpg
    ewew.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I would worry about the thickness, more or less 4 mm all around sould do. More will give a heavier mask, less, a weak one. This is, speaking generally,it will depend on the shapes also. Trying to figure out with your head and sculpt measurements won´t work as I see it. You can use a caliper for example to control the thickness of your sculpt.
Ecoflex 0030 is the standard for this, DgSK10 will be too stiff.
Power mesh can be used in certain areas as I see it (mouth and ear edges for example), to reinforce and avoid tearing, or ovoid sagging (top of the head for example).
In any case, this is a trial and error thing (talking about measurements).

I would worry about the thickness, more or less 4 mm all around sould do. More will give a heavier mask, less, a weak one. This is, speaking generally,it will depend on the shapes also. Trying to figure out with your head and sculpt measurements won´t work as I see it. You can use a caliper for example to control the thickness of your sculpt.
Ecoflex 0030 is the standard for this, DgSK10 will be too stiff.
Power mesh can be used in certain areas as I see it (mouth and ear edges for example), to reinforce and avoid tearing, or ovoid sagging (top of the head for example).
In any case, this is a trial and error thing (talking about measurements).

Makes sense. This is actually a remake of a mask I've already made. I used power mesh all through that one to try and keep the weight down but allow for durability. I think in the worst case on this mask I might just get some cheap thin foam and paint one side with a bit of silicone so it goes into the pores and then just kind of use the silicone on it to glue it into places the mask needs padded out in? Might help fill out if needed at all. Right now I think the mask will be pretty tight to my head. I just hope it's not too tight lol

Why not make a mold of you face/head and then sculpt on that?
I used plastic wrap on my face covered in FreeForm Air to make a mold of my face, and now I can make mask that fit perfectly. Clear plastic wrap is great because you can see through it while applying the FreeForm Air. Leave holes for your nose. It warms up a bit.

I just made a set of Green/Orange/Yellow/Blue lantern mask. They fit me perfect, but other folks try them and eye-spacing/cheekbones, brows are all off.

For helmets I have done similar, and it results in helmets that don't need padding.

Why not make a mold of you face/head and then sculpt on that?
I used plastic wrap on my face covered in FreeForm Air to make a mold of my face, and now I can make mask that fit perfectly. Clear plastic wrap is great because you can see through it while applying the FreeForm Air. Leave holes for your nose. It warms up a bit.

I just made a set of Green/Orange/Yellow/Blue lantern mask. They fit me perfect, but other folks try them and eye-spacing/cheekbones, brows are all off.

For helmets I have done similar, and it results in helmets that don't need padding.
Just a bit too far along for that now :D
We actually did make one a while ago, but it didn't turn out too well. I ended up slumping too much and the neck turned out weird.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back