Question about mould making for candy

sycor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hopefully this will make sense, if not, feel free to ask questions. So let's say I have a prop-type item that's food related but not actually food. I want to make a mould of it and make little candy replicas. I know I need to use food grade silicone but I have a problem getting to that step. I only have the one item but I need to be able to make the food mould have a lot of negatives so that it wouldn't be time prohibitive to make the candy.

Question time:
Can I press the item into a sheet of clay to make multiple negatives and then use silicone to make a sheet of positives and then use more silicone to make more negatives? And then pour the liquid candy into the last sheet of negatives? Basically would using the clay be a health hazard? Or is there a better way to do this?

I think the simplest way would be to make one small mold of your piece and then cast several new pieces. You can then lay out your new copies on a sheet and pour your food safe silicone over that to make your final mold.

For your multiples, I'd recomend Onyx, since it's a different formulation that doesn't weep resin or contain mercury. Powdering the mold (the small first one) with talc should give you good bubble free castings that are safe to use.

Doing it that way would I have to worry about the silicone getting under the pieces that are laid out?

Seeing as you haven't mentioned what the pieces are, I have know way of knowing what the molds would look like.

What is it with you guys and all the secrecy about your projects anyway? :behave

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back