Question About Leather Handles for a Dagger Replica

Triple 8 Props

So lately I've been working on the Skyrim Steel Dagger. The link to the build thread is in my signature but I've reached a point where all I have left to do is add the leather handle wrap. Here's a picture of the prop in game.

attachment.php

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no leather working experience so I don't even know what materials to buy. If somebody with some experience could walk me through how to do a wrap like this that would be awesome. Also descriptions of the materials and tools I might need would be be great as well. Thanks!

Attachments

• SteelDagger_SK.png
    SteelDagger_SK.png
    281.8 KB · Views: 321
No real clue here, except to say that maybe you will be using thicker leather (up to 5mm) for this instead of the <1mm wrap traditionally used. Is it just 1 part wrapped around or is there a laced seam on the other side as well? What I want to know is how is the lacing finished off as there is no visible knot.

No real clue here, except to say that maybe you will be using thicker leather (up to 5mm) for this instead of the <1mm wrap traditionally used. Is it just 1 part wrapped around or is there a laced seam on the other side as well? What I want to know is how is the lacing finished off as there is no visible knot.

It's one piece that goes around the entire handle.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you thinking real leather or pleather?

I was hoping to use real leather but a good pleather would be OK too.

I think you're going to have the best results from upholstery or garment leather. It's still real leather and will weather the same but it's also easier to work with. You would be able to use contact cement to make it adhere to your handle smoothly and accurately without creating a lot of extra bulk. Google things like "leather scroll case" to find good examples of how to do the decorative lacing.

Btw, fabric shops will often have bins of scrap garment/upholstery leather for sale. Dig through those rather than buying a whole roll of it. Often times those scraps are imperfect and have really cool scrapes and scratches. Bad for someone's new jacket but awesome for a prop maker!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back