Quartz Raiders Idol

Ozymandius

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just playing around in the shop and whipped this up.

DSC_1244.jpg

DSC_1246.jpg

The quartz effect came through much better from the rear. Hopefully the front will be more prominent with a good clear coat.

DSC_1245.jpg

DSC_1247.jpg

DSC_1248.jpg

That's a cool idea.
Kinda connects with Indy 4 ...

And yes, make it light up!

How is the quartz effect achieved? That is something I always wondered about while looking at all the sankara-stones ...

I always saw it as more closely akin to the whole spooky crystal skull scam that was supposed to have come from the Amazon. And yeah, I gotta build a light box for it to sit on.

It all becomes much more dramatic once it's got a proper clear coat on, as it removes the surface haze and makes the splintering effect pop. For these pics I just wetted it down with some mineral spirits so that the details would temporarily show (it's an old wood worker's trick).

As for the quartz effect itself, it's a special technique I developed when I was building the Tri Wizard Cup for Harry Potter. You have to do about 6 seperate pours of clear resin into sheets and then cut them up.

Sounds pretty simple and straight forward, but it's actually quite tricky to pull off correctly. Even the guys that worked with me side by side on the Tri Wizard couldn't duplicate it.

Absolutely brilliant mate.

Personally I'd prefer to see it weathered and worn (grime in the cracks and recesses) rather have it looking like the Sankara stones.

This one is totally unique!

Bravo!

Highest regards

MARK

Ideally, I agree that some sublte washes and aging would help to bring out the features. But first is does need the clear coat to complete the quartz illusion and give it the proper depth.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back