QMX gets the Farnsworth License

franz bolo

Sr Member
So will the QMX Farnsworth be as good as the ones made here??

QMx will be premiering the first piece in the line, The Farnsworth, at San Diego Comic-Con this week. The Farnsworth is a video communicator that uses a secure link that only another Farnsworth can decode. Two prototypes will be on display at San Diego Comic-Con: an exact replica of the hero prop with gray screen and an “idealized” version with more detailed weathering and a realistic, semi-transparent screen. Make sure you take the time to stop by the QMx booth (#3251) to learn more about items from the Warehouse 13 line as well as items from QMx’s other licensed properties such as Star Trek, Stargate, Battlestar Galactica, and Firefly.

FB

somehow I doubt it . i like the idea of piecing it together and did the show ones have a carrying case ?

I also wonder how the price will be. it seems piecing one together might be cheaper than a released one.

Last edited:
I don't doubt it at all. QMX and all of it's founders are very active members of the RPF and have been for years. They have all the information we have and more.

somehow I doubt it . i like the idea of piecing it together and did the show ones have a carrying case ?

I also wonder how the price will be. it seems piecing one together might be cheaper than a released one.
That is really slamming Steve there, new guy. He has gone out of his way to bring accuracy to his items. He also has the advantage of having his hands on the item.

As far as the price goes, yes, it will likely be cheaper to build one than to go get a licensed replica item, but as with everything, licensed pieces are sucked up by fans who do not have the ability to craft their own goods.

Doh, that figures. This gets announced two days after I collect all of the parts to build one :lol.

I am still going to build mine but will likely pick one of these up if they are under $200.00 (as long as they don't only offer the idealized version, I really want the screen used looking replica they show in the pic). They look like they did a great job.

I had a conversation with a friend recently, and apparently the Farnsworth family has never been contacted about use of their name. Does anyone know what the laws are about using someones name on a licensed product?

good question. thats one of the reasons i never thought there would be a licensed prop, couldnt copywrite a historical figure's name.

I had a conversation with a friend recently, and apparently the Farnsworth family has never been contacted about use of their name. Does anyone know what the laws are about using someones name on a licensed product?

When it comes to a common name like Farnsworth, no one owns the right to just the name there are lots of Farnsworth's this or that...

The Farnsworth Television trademark that this prop is clearly paying tribute to has been abandoned thus technically putting the name and logo in the public domain...

The filming props have 2 versions the static grey screen and the green screen for image inserts, mentioned in the pod casts and bonus material on the DVD, all the computers have green screens as well.

One of the commentaries on the DVD discuss how they do the Farnsworth shots including the actors holding the camera them selves for the shots you see in the device.

The pod cast for S2E2 the actors complain about the prop not doing anything, even the red light is put in post and the fact that they can see the glue holding the parts on.

looking forward to seeing the Tesla, thats something id pick up, just too hard to fabricate the parts..

It's gonna be real cool if they do the Blueprints and maps of the warehouse! I so have wall space for anything WH13 + I missed being able to get a Farnsworth faceplate so I guess I'll have to get a licened one. I guess it could be alot worse because it could be some $*!%%^ A$$ company instead of QMX doing them, We know they will do the props proud.

Cameron

Photos of the Farnsworth are up at io9:

Farnsworth photos

farnsworth-idealhero-3.jpg

farnsworth-idealhero-4.jpg

If anyone makes it to the QMX booth at Comic con, try to find out an estimate of when these will be released...And possibly a ballpark figure on the price.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back