Limited Run Pyro Xwing Ultimate

BrundelFly

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Finally.

Now that the transaction has been completed, I can announce what had been in the works.

I have aquired what I consider to be the ultimate pyro model. As unlike the one offered years ago, that had been assembled together with some of the master patterns, and other parts and a repaired and modified fuselage, This set of castings that I have just obtained from the Doug Jones Estate is complete and unmodified.

If you don't know, Doug was one of the original model builders. He sold items in collection, blown up Xwing and Ywing parts from filming to the auction house. Also sold was a completed and built Pyro casting. Before it left, he molded it and made ten sets of castings to be either built, and or sold as kits. Just before he was done, he sadly passed away. Doung had hired a local FX shop to create molds of his parts.

Then he cast them himself. He did not cast the wings, but the molds are there.

The fuselage Doug had was SPLIT like the photo below. His engines are hallow, like the hero engines, to help with lighting. The castings, are the cleanest and crisp that I have ever seen. I saw detail on the Pilot, I have not seen anywhere else.

Below, there is a photo of the Pyro Body from the run I did many years ago. You can compare the details with the new casting.

To Honor Doug, I plan to complete his project as much as possible. However, I do not have then time to do ten build ups. So the kits will be offered here as is. 10 Kits as Cast by Doug, and ten more to be cast out of the existing molds.

These kits, will be very special, not just because of the lineage, or the rarity, but because they represent the artist who helped create one of the most iconic ships ever, and his dream to make them available to the very discriminating collector.

This kit will not be priced for everyone. For that, I hope you understand my reasoning. To keep the collectible integrity of the previous run of Pyros, these will be priced at or above the current market rate for those models. To do anything else, would insult and disparage many of the members and collectors here. I cannot allow that.

Also, I was asked not to sell that many, and I will honor that. I expect not all of them will sell, and that is ok too. They will have a safe santuary with me until they do.

I will be posting more details later. And pictures once I am able to sort through everything.

In addition to the XWING, there will be a separate thread to offer a VERY limted run of Y-WING Pyro castings. While not enought to complete everything, it will be enough to modifiy existing kits, or establish a huge head start on what will be the most accurate Y-Wing ever made available.

To be honest, as I look through these boxes, Im still in shock that I am now the owner of pieces so close to production.

Stay Tuned.

Brundelfly.

Attachments

• PYRO XWING.jpg
    PYRO XWING.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 234
  • XWING.jpg
    XWING.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 216
  • XWING4.jpg
    XWING4.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 203
  • XWING2.jpg
    XWING2.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
I would be very interested! I have no idea how much something like this would cost so it would depend on price though.

Mind explaining what the Pyro X-Wings are, for those of us not in the know? Might help increase interest...

So I keep getting asked about price.
If you dont know what the PYRO XWING IS.....you are gonna scoff.

But when the ones I made pop up now and then, they go for about 850 to 1000. Lately, 1000+.
If you know what is, you know why.

IF we did a run,....it would be less, but, still not cheap. Materials prices have almost doubled, and time is much more precious too.
I swore I would never do another run of anything, but, I was offered the chance to have THE master returned to me to remold.

So...thought I would check.

Mind explaining what the Pyro X-Wings are, for those of us not in the know? Might help increase interest...

Many moons ago...a company called ICONS, made some XWINGS from production sourced parts......years later. Even then, they were slightly modified with "tells" to make sure they were never sold as "Originals". Not that anyone would know the difference. But the attempt at
integrity was there, and I applaud that (Max).

MASTER REPLICAS was going to make an XWING, but only BASED on those parts. That XWING became the EFX Xwing. Basically, reingineered.
However, for reference, the Same Master used by ICONS....were molded and castings, and a paint master were sent to Hong Kong.

I was the knucklehead who made those castings. My Payment, for materials, and whipping it out on short notice (Note to self, never use WHIP IT OUT and SHORT in same sentence) was that I got to sell castings out of said molds, til they sorta died. They were actually in decent shape still, but I sold the molds, as I got tired of casting them. Im sure they are dead now.

There were about 28 XWING made. Two went to HK, TWO went to owner of the masters (first two actually), and one was kept by ME, as my personal copy, and the rest were sold or otherwise traded.

They have since been Bought and sold, when they pop up. In one case, Im pretty sure one made it to an Auction house and sold for ALOT of money. But, cant prove that.

WHAT is so freakin special about these masters? A very well known FX artist, was working for Grant McCune's shop (Grant did the PYRO shots of the XWINGS. ) and, found a box of XWING parts in storage.
He asked if he could mold or have, either way, they were given to him. It was a broken but intact fuselage, two wings, (left and right) guns, engines,....etc. He collected the rest of the missing parts, from friends who had "castings laying in drawers" left over from when they WORKED on the film.

These castings, were as CLOSE as you could get without gotten the chance to RAID the SHOP and Steal one yourself during filming.

In fact, the WINGS of said collection, were the ACTUAL PYRO MASTERS used. So was the one engine in the box. That engine, was NOT a casting.
It was an actual phanton model kit part, PACKED with 30 year old clay. How do I know? The exhaust nozzle fell off in MY HANDS and I got to see inside of it. It was the engine master. not original exhaust though.

Yes, the person who owned the master patterns did some custom/repair work toward the nose, but, the castings were amazing evenin their imperfections. You could see BUBBLE for BUBBLE in the first set of castings I did from the molds, as was shown in CHRONICLES.

Like an IDIOT...I PLUCKED the "warts" out of the molds, so they would be "cleaner".

But still, they were pretty amazing.

Yes, there are ALOT of XWINGS out there. Some. claiming to have access to "Pyro" probably referenced the kit I sold. They have "clean and perfected or otherwise idealized" to get the perfect XWING, thus losing its charm. Many other XWINGS, are fan made. Including the CAPT CARDBOARD. Valuable in XWING history in its ownright, however, it was still fan made. Randy Cooper made the body (its a bit skinny) and the R2 Strip was made by ME. The rest of the parts were either scratch or the actual kit parts. I know, I supplied some of those kit parts to The Captain himself. Other XWING are CAD made, with details too crisp. They never look quite right.

Kinda like the Stormtrooper helmet. Perfect ones look "wrong" as the real ones were vaccum formed crap and egg shaped. But that is what we remember on screen. So when we see a perfect one, it doesnt look right. Same with the ships.

Original props and models are rough. Expecially from STARWARS. They were made by a bunch of stoned teenagers. Some with newer skill levels than others. But all artist the same.

That is the background of the FAMOUS PYRO XWINGS.

;-)

I'm interested, but I would like to know a final price and when the payment would be due. I'll start setting money aside. I've passed on too many of these in the past.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back