Punisher Vest Replica [FINISHED] & outfit Season 2 Netflix

Jato BZ

Hi guys

Thought I’d share my own WIP of the Punisher Vest I’ve been working on. I’ve used Season 1 & 2 as reference pics as there is next to none out there.

Finished result and I hand painted the Skull motif - template and no spray cans were used. Took maybe 6-8hrs to paint

CD6A00AF-EB88-4E03-98DA-1B8B829A2B2C.jpeg

I based the Skull motif off this Season 1 pic. Altho my vest design is based off the Season 2 vest which has a few subtle changes. No tags around the lower Pec plates (eye plates). Ref pic below

5A4CA7E9-45D0-4C2D-9A6F-86AE14B51220.jpeg

Over here in New Zealand we have a comic con type event called Armageddon Expo. It’s Oct 25th so only a few weeks away. I’ve been working on trying to amass everything I need for it. I have the Bates Code 6.2 8” boots on the way and thermal kinda top he wears too. Obviously the key element in making this all work is the Vest. I’m on the fence about painting the red on it. Maybe.

Well some bad news, the event holders have since advised all military style apparel is banned (swat/tactical vests/clothing) so I’ve come up with a workaround for this event. I painted the skull motif onto a blank sheet of nylon canvas. It’s not the Ballistics Nylon as I used all that but something similar. Turned out okay

360F86A8-BC9B-40FB-9CC5-F5E8E3FD0145.jpeg

I tried to paint the vest plate boundaries / sewing lines where they would be. Here’s the vest side by side with the flat canvas version.

1280DED6-A86C-4075-A446-EFA9A8455B76.jpeg

Contemplating making the canvas version battle damaged like Jon wore in Season 2 (here) I’d rather battle damage this flat canvas version than my vest I think

Pretty happy with this flat version of the Skull motif which looks like it’s been painted on a vest

3281A8A0-916F-4524-98F7-9D6246B73097.jpeg

I decided to paint the blood on the flat canvas version. I use red ink. I find that’s the closest thing to real blood without actually being real blood.

Box of pens later...

F2B1382B-C847-4BCB-8262-3F206426AEBF.jpeg

Time to paint

F9B3631A-9BC3-4F59-B6E6-0ACD3F07ACDF.jpeg

Punisher vest and punisher flat canvas version side by side - side note: launched a dedicated FB page for my artwork/costume stuff called Punishing Creations -

54DD854E-8E5B-412A-B7D9-28D42DBC42F8.jpeg

ACD2EB9E-1A0B-4F9F-B9B3-77751E98C895.jpeg

Few pics getting started (my friend is a seamstress so he did the sewing for me.)

I started off scaling a pic of Frank’s vest season 2 and the measurements we had for me and worked out a scaling factor so I could measure off the pic I had and multiply it by the scaling factor relative to my measurements. Worked out pretty well. Hardest part was deconstructing the vest. Took my time and worked out some plates I thought would work. Once happy with that I moved to cardboard versions (as templates for foam). Once those were done I drew the templates on the 2-3mm foam I had. Beauty of templates is just flip them over for the other side. We wrapped the plates in the ballistics nylon I sourced ex USA. That made everything look great.

Also decided to add some back padding, hard to tell on the Netflix Vest and I did get couple screen grabs but the back was just fabric. I made up some plate designs which were kinda inspired by the front main pec plates. Seems odd it wouldn’t have any protection at the back especially for the should blades. Originally made 4 plates but scrapped the top 2 plates as it made it quite busy. Overall pretty happy with it.

4B42E0C9-98EA-4EAB-9CC6-D059F178BD40.jpeg
CF739D68-B751-427F-B9AE-1774BD864034.png
1DA1CAF5-91EE-40AC-99DD-5E36DA342BA4.jpeg
8CCFF3BB-DA98-43F8-9576-2E7093DBEDE3.jpeg
A975B971-DF14-472C-A389-E177B803C376.jpeg
66DB68D3-41C2-479B-A849-F73C227E2B75.jpeg
A60C8174-9943-4804-A5DD-FEC5983CEB7A.jpeg

Last edited:
That did turn out really well! Good job!!
Thanks for taking the time to stop by. I’m hoping to put a final pic up of me wearing it all. My boots and thermal top are in New Zealand but with Customs so waiting on that. Had to put a bit of gym time in too. Not quite at Jon Bernthal’s physique but have tried.

Did you ever get your costume put together? I’d love to see it! The vest looks great! Do you have any ideas on how one would display their vest like on the wall? Thanks!

Did you ever get your costume put together? I’d love to see it! The vest looks great! Do you have any ideas on how one would display their vest like on the wall? Thanks!
Hi & thanks! Yip I wore it to the Auckland Armageddon. Actually managed to wear the vest. In terms of the outfit the vest is the centerpiece and I have some dark G star jeans I wore with it. They’re my fave jeans so I skipped getting the same as Frank’s. Boots I wore are season 2 Punisher boots aka Bates Code 6.2. The long sleeve thermal was a $10USD black cross stitched thermal. It matches the pattern on his but couldn’t tell if it was a thermal tee or jersey type thermal. I literally got the boots the week before the Con so I didn’t get them broken in as much as how distressed they look in S2 Punisher but they are the exact boot. Even wore them on my flights up to Auckland to the Con So boots, top and vest tick and jeans close-ish. Here’s a pic. Oddly enough I am painting up a couple more skull motifs on the Ballistics Nylon, just brought in 3 yards and plan to make a refined 2.0 vest. Slightly tweaked. Yip I have an idea for the vest to be mounted. I’ll have to sort that but thoughts are left and right side rods coming down from a middle position (to emulate shoulders) with flat discs on the ends to stop the vest shoulder straps sliding off and then mounting it to the wall. That’s my thoughts thus far. Thanks for your comment and stopping by.

Attachments

• 21B53232-AA90-41E5-B00E-5BE0B1D92C2A.jpeg
    21B53232-AA90-41E5-B00E-5BE0B1D92C2A.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2,555
  • A7F0F38D-3FE8-446B-90DE-EEB22F96BDAF.jpeg
    A7F0F38D-3FE8-446B-90DE-EEB22F96BDAF.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2,137
Last edited:
I'm blown away. It looks awesome. Great work, mate!!! (y)
Thank you for the great comment! Been working on a 2.0 version to make it more screen accurate. Got a few improvements to implement which should see it match up to the Netflix version even more nicely. Currently painting up the Skull motifs on the Ballistics Nylon (vest material) for some people. The last pic is the Reference pic. So the first pic is my latest attempt and probably best yet. Painted Non Vest Skull versions are trickier than painting the Vest due to trying to create the plate/padding lines illusion (but using the black from riginal vest fabric) freehand with a brush

Attachments

• 2E62B307-2798-4530-BFC7-22D6667E5BD8.jpeg
    2E62B307-2798-4530-BFC7-22D6667E5BD8.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,321
  • A8923BD4-0E3A-4110-9EBB-DC14F0926169.jpeg
    A8923BD4-0E3A-4110-9EBB-DC14F0926169.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 1,154
  • 24AC69EF-972E-4C37-BAFD-056F0E18885B.jpeg
    24AC69EF-972E-4C37-BAFD-056F0E18885B.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1,098
  • 88C582F7-48DA-449C-B624-7EC6D959FA7F.jpeg
    88C582F7-48DA-449C-B624-7EC6D959FA7F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 743
That looks really great! Shame it was cancelled. I really loved that show. Where did you get the main vest from?
Yeah altho Season 2 prolly wasn’t as good as season 1. Maybe season 3 might have been a stretch? No it was all made from designs really. Basic singlet type front and back just for the Vest templates to attach to really. It was really hard to deconstruct the full workings of the Vest so that was guesstimated as such. Have been really busy lately so haven’t had a chance to really get back to it either as have ideas for a slightly revised 2.0 version. But yeah that’s all time and money too. Thanks for stopping by.

Yeah altho Season 2 prolly wasn’t as good as season 1. Maybe season 3 might have been a stretch? No it was all made from designs really. Basic singlet type front and back just for the Vest templates to attach to really. It was really hard to deconstruct the full workings of the Vest so that was guesstimated as such. Have been really busy lately so haven’t had a chance to really get back to it either as have ideas for a slightly revised 2.0 version. But yeah that’s all time and money too. Thanks for stopping by.

Yeah, that's a fair point. Season 2 did end on a high note which makes for a somewhat satisfying ending.

Ahh, I see. That's an awesome amount of effort you put into that! Sucks that you haven't had much time. Still though at it's current form it looks awesome

Hi guys

Thought I’d share my own WIP of the Punisher Vest I’ve been working on. I’ve used Season 1 & 2 as reference pics as there is next to none out there.

Finished result and I hand painted the Skull motif - template and no spray cans were used. Took maybe 6-8hrs to paint

View attachment 1065578

I based the Skull motif off this Season 1 pic. Altho my vest design is based off the Season 2 vest which has a few subtle changes. No tags around the lower Pec plates (eye plates). Ref pic below

View attachment 1065579

Over here in New Zealand we have a comic con type event called Armageddon Expo. It’s Oct 25th so only a few weeks away. I’ve been working on trying to amass everything I need for it. I have the Bates Code 6.2 8” boots on the way and thermal kinda top he wears too. Obviously the key element in making this all work is the Vest. I’m on the fence about painting the red on it. Maybe.

Well some bad news, the event holders have since advised all military style apparel is banned (swat/tactical vests/clothing) so I’ve come up with a workaround for this event. I painted the skull motif onto a blank sheet of nylon canvas. It’s not the Ballistics Nylon as I used all that but something similar. Turned out okay

View attachment 1071631

I tried to paint the vest plate boundaries / sewing lines where they would be. Here’s the vest side by side with the flat canvas version.

View attachment 1071633

Contemplating making the canvas version battle damaged like Jon wore in Season 2 (here) I’d rather battle damage this flat canvas version than my vest I think

Pretty happy with this flat version of the Skull motif which looks like it’s been painted on a vest

View attachment 1071868

I decided to paint the blood on the flat canvas version. I use red ink. I find that’s the closest thing to real blood without actually being real blood.

Box of pens later...

View attachment 1071869

Time to paint

View attachment 1071870

Punisher vest and punisher flat canvas version side by side - side note: launched a dedicated FB page for my artwork/costume stuff called Punishing Creations -

View attachment 1071871
View attachment 1071635
Few pics getting started (my friend is a seamstress so he did the sewing for me.)

I started off scaling a pic of Frank’s vest season 2 and the measurements we had for me and worked out a scaling factor so I could measure off the pic I had and multiply it by the scaling factor relative to my measurements. Worked out pretty well. Hardest part was deconstructing the vest. Took my time and worked out some plates I thought would work. Once happy with that I moved to cardboard versions (as templates for foam). Once those were done I drew the templates on the 2-3mm foam I had. Beauty of templates is just flip them over for the other side. We wrapped the plates in the ballistics nylon I sourced ex USA. That made everything look great.

Also decided to add some back padding, hard to tell on the Netflix Vest and I did get couple screen grabs but the back was just fabric. I made up some plate designs which were kinda inspired by the front main pec plates. Seems odd it wouldn’t have any protection at the back especially for the should blades. Originally made 4 plates but scrapped the top 2 plates as it made it quite busy. Overall pretty happy with it.

View attachment 1065354View attachment 1065355View attachment 1065356View attachment 1065357View attachment 1065580View attachment 1065581View attachment 1065583
That is awesome, do you have instructions to make it myself ?

Nice work man it turned out really great. Can you do replicas for sale? I would be interesed in buying such nice vest. Ty

OP hasn't logged in in two years. I think it might be safe to say that he's not going to take commissions. Mods might want to lock this thread.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back