Protocol Droid head build (starbuckcylon vacuform kit)

ecl

Sr Member
Here's something that I worked on recently! Vacuform protocol droid head kit made by Starbuckcylon. I've never built one of these before and found it to be very difficult to do. A ton of sanding, shaping, etc. Getting things to fit. It's not perfect, but the end result turned out better than I thought it would. Not built to be wearable, as I've epoxied everything, but I do plan on building up the inside and add wiring, etc. to make it look like a droid head that's been separated from its body.

Gluing stuff together (after a lot of dremel and sanding work to get the shells to fit.)

9xVzOAB.jpg

It became apparent the face is far too narrow looking. I believe this same issue has come up with these kits on another build I've seen. I ended up reshaping the frame a bit, and then added a bar on the inside of the head to widen the stance a bit. Photo below was taken before the bar was placed inside.

ttvBKQY.jpg

I sharpened the features slightly with a sanding block, and also added more detailing around the mouth area. These vacuform kits are way too soft looking.

ZQfWWhQ.jpg

Z7C39X9.jpg

Widened the mouth opening:

gzU1OAQ.jpg

ORIGINALLY I wanted to make this C-3PO. So I painted it black first then gold on top.

a9kpYrN.jpg

CoaDvc9.jpg

As you can see above the gold looks very plastic-like. I had planned to age this, but the finish just didn't look any good at all. So I changed my mind:

tXqnRaO.jpg

I decided to make it K-3PO from the Hoth base (ESB is my favorite Star Wars movie anyways). Aged it with some black acrylic paint mixed with matte medium.

IrqfNiG.jpg

I will be adding a lighting kit soon and will update the progress. Still need to add finishing touches on the paint as well as the "antenna" detailing at the top of the crown.

BV47Nx4.jpg

2hOBJ5c.jpg

Thanks for the comments, really appreciate it! I was worried it might look too plain, but the light weathering helps to make it a bit more interesting.

Just attached the little antenna piece on top of his head! Next step is to get the lighting installed and then find a way to fill the interior with "guts". I think it would look pretty neat to have a few wires sticking out....maybe put in a small harddrive or something haha.

QyLmRgS.jpg

wO4Khqg.jpg

RKYtivr.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking head.
Agreed, the subtle weathering makes a huge difference.
I too always liked the white version on hoth, but gotta say, the photo of it painted black looks so cool.
Looking forward to see how you tackle the "guts".
Making me want to build one too.
How did you go about ordering one, if you don't mind me asking?
Robert

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back