PropShop announces TFA Props!

I took a few pic and I will be posting a few more in the next day. As for the melted Vader, it was a must have for me from the moment I saw it in the trailer. I love weathered and battle damaged props but I also love metal and fiberglass recreations because it isn't enough to hold it but it has to also feel real to complete the fantasy. I do handle my props and show them to friends when they visit so I want something that can take a little abuse.

I think it is great that we have access to props right off the actual assembly line but I think the cost, although completely justified, puts these at a price point that few can afford. I'm sure that many of us would buy every single one of the items that are being offered if this were the old MR days (reasonable cost and reliable schedule). I am very happy that I bought the melted Vader and have no regret whatsoever. That said, I do wish the helmet had more weight. It loses some of the "wow" when held because it is indeed very light. Sure, this is exactly how it was made so I appreciate that but this is not one to hand around at parties. This belongs in a case to be viewed only.

Knowing this, it does make me question if I'd buy another item that was 3D printed vs waiting for a fiberglass version...like Poe's helmet. I've had my eye on that one too but if it is as light and delicate, I would rather wait for an authentic (weathered) fiberglass version. I believe the lightsabers are metal but I have enough Graflex lightsabers and I'm not sure I like the design of Kylo's enough to spend that kind of money.

To sum it up, these are awesome if you want authenticity and lineage but if you want something that you can handle then you might wait for the possibility of a cheaper limited edition to be offered. If you're like me, you buy when the item you want is offered because you never know if there will be another opportunity. Often there is but sometimes there is not.

I'm not exactly sure this qualifies as a review but there you have it.

Last edited:
I gotta say Prop Shop seems to have remarkable customer service. I emailed them asking the dimensions on the Lightsaber stands for Rey and Kylo's , I'm hoping to order them later this year or early next year. And not even having placed an order they were nice enough to respond very quickly. While their items are VERY VERY pricey they seem to have better customer service than a lot of other companies.

...I think the cost, although completely justified, puts these at a price point that few can afford.

I would consider it to be a type of market research. For every item bought at that price point it represents a significant revenue for a tiered lower offering. Powerful institutions are watching to see how PropShop plays out I would say.

I took a few pic and I will be posting a few more in the next day. As for the melted Vader, it was a must have for me from the moment I saw it in the trailer. I love weathered and battle damaged props but I also love metal and fiberglass recreations because it isn't enough to hold it but it has to also feel real to complete the fantasy. I do handle my props and show them to friends when they visit so I want something that can take a little abuse.

I think it is great that we have access to props right off the actual assembly line but I think the cost, although completely justified, puts these at a price point that few can afford. I'm sure that many of us would buy every single one of the items that are being offered if this were the old MR days (reasonable cost and reliable schedule). I am very happy that I bought the melted Vader and have no regret whatsoever. That said, I do wish the helmet had more weight. It loses some of the "wow" when held because it is indeed very light. Sure, this is exactly how it was made so I appreciate that but this is not one to hand around at parties. This belongs in a case to be viewed only.

Knowing this, it does make me question if I'd buy another item that was 3D printed vs waiting for a fiberglass version...like Poe's helmet. I've had my eye on that one too but if it is as light and delicate, I would rather wait for an authentic (weathered) fiberglass version. I believe the lightsabers are metal but I have enough Graflex lightsabers and I'm not sure I like the design of Kylo's enough to spend that kind of money.

To sum it up, these are awesome if you want authenticity and lineage but if you want something that you can handle then you might wait for the possibility of a cheaper limited edition to be offered. If you're like me, you buy when the item you want is offered because you never know if there will be another opportunity. Often there is but sometimes there is not.

I'm not exactly sure this qualifies as a review but there you have it.

Thanks for this plain words.
But now I wanna see the photos!!!:lol:)

As promised....

IMG_9315.jpegIMG_9316.jpegIMG_9318.jpegIMG_9320.jpegIMG_9322.jpegIMG_9323.jpegIMG_9325.jpegIMG_9326.jpegIMG_9327.jpegIMG_9328.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

Adding one more image. I used the flash on this photo and you can see the subtle differences in color.

IMG_9305.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9324.jpeg
    IMG_9324.jpeg
    235.3 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_9321.jpeg
    IMG_9321.jpeg
    253.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_9319.jpeg
    IMG_9319.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_9317.jpeg
    IMG_9317.jpeg
    276.9 KB · Views: 110
^^ Very cool! Is it actually that light grey color, or are the photos blown on to show dark detail better?

I'm curious what the underside looks like?

I'm a little surprised that no bits of skeleton/skull remain inside.

^^ Very cool! Is it actually that light grey color, or are the photos blown on to show dark detail better?

I'm curious what the underside looks like?

I'm a little surprised that no bits of skeleton/skull remain inside.

It is flat with no detail.

It is a light grey color. The photos are slightly blown out. The last photo used a flash and shows the most accurate color.

It is flat with no detail.

The reason I asked about the bottom, is I was thinking about your complaint about a lack of "heft" that makes the helmet seem less than real.

It would be risky from an investment standpoint, but I wonder if you could attach (or embed?) some sort of lead weight to the bottom, to give it the missing weight?

This is not a prop I'd alter. Regardless of the weight, it seems as fragile as a potato chip. I'm confident it would take little force at all to snap a piece off. I'll have a display case made for it and accept that it is for viewing pleasure only. :)

Awesome photos Jediwannabe. I hope you don't mind, I took a couple and did some fast color correction on them. Makes the details really pop. :)

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

On a side note, I'm hearing word someone has already scanned one of these helmets. I kind of figured it wouldn't be long before someone recast the Kylo, but I'm surprised this piece was scanned so quickly.

sorry i haven't really been following this as much as i should have. but has anyone gotten their kylo sabers yet?

And be sure to give a detailed description as well...build quality, weight, what materials seem to be used, etc.

Yes exactly! I was so shocked at how thin the top part looked, and how small the greeblies were inside, it's not a bad thing to me, just something I never noticed before. This is one saber's if I had the money would buy in a heartbeat

Yes exactly! I was so shocked at how thin the top part looked, and how small the greeblies were inside, it's not a bad thing to me, just something I never noticed before. This is one saber's if I had the money would buy in a heartbeat
you could buy a 3d one off ebay pretty cheap.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back