PropShop announces TFA Props!

Ah, that makes sense I think. Somehow I never thought of that, especially because it looked like he died on screen without disappearing, before Luke dragged him away to the shuttle. I'd always assumed he didn't become one with the Force until after the whole funeral pyre scene, because of how his ghost appears later than the others (and because it's reminiscent of the traditional sort of funeral pyre idea.) Picturing Luke dragging a deflated Vader suit around the Death Star now...

Ah, that makes sense I think. Somehow I never thought of that, especially because it looked like he died on screen without disappearing, before Luke dragged him away to the shuttle. I'd always assumed he didn't become one with the Force until after the whole funeral pyre scene, because of how his ghost appears later than the others (and because it's reminiscent of the traditional sort of funeral pyre idea.) Picturing Luke dragging a deflated Vader suit around the Death Star now...

LOL :D

deflated.jpg

I have not gotten mine yet. They do quote a wait period....I think up to 16 weeks. I estimated that if they took the whole time I would receive my melted Vader sometime in October.

Anakin's body disappeared when he became one with the Force, just like Obi Wan's and Yoda's did. All that was left behind was his armor.

That's an assumption, isn't it?

Yoda and Obi Wan were on far different terms with The Force when they died....and they had been trained how to commune with the dead in the Force as well. It's at least possible that this enabled them to 'disappear" or transform into the Force.

Anakin didn't have the benefit of that training...he was on the baddies' side when all of that came to light...so i don't know that it's a certainty that he also disappeared.

That body looked pretty solid when Luke was dragging it around...and not just the armoured parts, either. The soft parts looked inhabited.

Yoda and Obi Wan were on far different terms with The Force when they died....and they had been trained how to commune with the dead in the Force as well. It's at least possible that this enabled them to 'disappear" or transform into the Force.

Anakin didn't have the benefit of that training...he was on the baddies' side when all of that came to light...so i don't know that it's a certainty that he also disappeared.

That body looked pretty solid when Luke was dragging it around...and not just the armoured parts, either. The soft parts looked inhabited.
I always assumed that the body was still in the Armour, but only the writers can confirm or deny this now!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Anakin was a child of the Force so we're not really sure what he's exact / specific abilities were or were not. But as Obi-Wan said he was more machine than man so we're only left with assumption(s) unless there's more in the EU?

Anakin was a child of the Force so we're not really sure what he's exact / specific abilities were or were not. But as Obi-Wan said he was more machine than man so we're only left with assumption(s) unless there's more in the EU?
I think the body disappeared in the Eu

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I can shed some light on this.

When they were filming pickups for VII I was lucky enough to be shown round some of the sets and the creature room. I ended up spotting the helmet - this was in Nov 2014 way before the teaser with Vader in it was aired. It was a bit of a momentous experience for me so I've been on a somewhat relentless mission to find out as much as I could about it's journey from concept to completion.

Some time later, I actually spoke to the artist who designed it about how it was made. He made a clay model which was actually a bit smaller than the final piece. When that piece was approved by JJ, Propshop scanned and printed a larger version based on the ROTJ helmet size. JJ reviewed it and made some suggestions. It was then given back to the artist who sculpted with clay on top of the new 3D print. After that it was scanned again, printed, approved and so the process continued. I don't know how many times that happened but essentially they worked in tandem to create the final thing. In that sense there wasn't really an 'original' prop - more of an evolution. I chatted to the guys at SW Celebration the other day and they told me the same story.

My friends who work as professional prop makers tell me there are usually duplicates of props as things can get damaged. So with all that I'd hazarrd a guess that the final thing on set was a 3D print of the same file. It was enough to convince me.

The question now is.... are you getting one? :)

Yes, you are right. Lucas has said essentially the above, and furthermore (in interviews and in Clone Wars episodes): Obi-wan and Yoda, having learned to retain their consciousness in the Cosmic Force from Qui-Gon (who did not fully learn the technique until long after his death and so could only manifest in visions), intercepted Anakin's redeemed spirit at the moment of his death and taught the same to him. Anakin's body did not disappear because he did not know the training in life (much like Qui-gon).

Well, then it's as I'd hoped.

...and as I'd feared.. Because I want one, and it's gonna be expensive.

(Thanks for the insights, Paperdandy! Lots of speculation surrounding this stuff, nice to get some info to flesh things out.)

Edit: this other conversation is what I'd always thought (about Anakin's body being present in the armor as it was burned), aside from the whole "force spirits intercepting" bit.

This does put my only-recently-imagined image of a deflated Vader in jeopardy though... :lol

Last edited:
Well, then it's as I'd hoped.

...and as I'd feared.. Because I want one, and it's gonna be expensive.

(Thanks for the insights, Paperdandy! Lots of speculation surrounding this stuff, nice to get some info to flesh things out.)

No probs! Yeh it's a heck of a lot of money and it's sad because this is out of the realms for most. But I had a good year with work and I'm normally very frugal with cash so I have bought the Melted Vader. The adrenaline has worn off and I don't regret it. :)

The best remain theory, then, would be that the armor - especially the helmet - was made of a much more heat resistant material than the human body. Therefore, when set afire, the biological parts were burned to ash, but the the stronger armor remained in a deformed form. I still stay dumb move on the Luke's part to leave the parts laying around after the fact. Shoulda gathered them up and stored them or dumbed them in a lava pit or something. Nothing should have remained.

It's going to be funny when a group of ten or more people get together and buy something, then make a mold of it, and each get an accurate cast of their own.

:popcorn

I can shed some light on this...I actually spoke to the artist who designed it about how it was made. He made a clay model which was actually a bit smaller than the final piece. When that piece was approved by JJ, Propshop scanned and printed a larger version based on the ROTJ helmet size. JJ reviewed it and made some suggestions. It was then given back to the artist who sculpted with clay on top of the new 3D print. After that it was scanned again, printed, approved and so the process continued. I don't know how many times that happened but essentially they worked in tandem to create the final thing. In that sense there wasn't really an 'original' prop - more of an evolution. I chatted to the guys at SW Celebration the other day and they told me the same story.

...So with all that I'd hazarrd a guess that the final thing on set was a 3D print of the same file.

Jedifyfed:

The definitive word on whether the melted vader seen on screen was resin vs. 3D-printed. The final product was indeed a painted-up 3D print from 2 phases of sculpting.

The full story from http://www.starwars.com/news/galact...rce-awakens-groundbreaking-replica-collection

“...[artist Luke Fisher] was sculpting it in clay,” Enright says, “and it was laying on its back, and that’s why it’s got a flat back. Luke worked and worked and worked on it to the point where J.J. [Abrams] was happy with it and signed off, and then it was scanned. We had to do multiple, multiple scans of it.” The multiple scans were required because, being so asymmetrical, it was essential to capture every possible angle as data. But it also opened up possibilities.

“At the time, it was a solid lump of clay,” Enright says. “It wasn’t hollow, obviously. Once we got the scan, we then put it into the computer, gave it thickness, worked back into it, and hollowed it out. That’s where you get the interior. Then we 3D printed it, and gave it back to the sculptor, and then the sculptor worked again on it. Then we re-scanned it again [Laughs], and then produced a final output.” That output was then hand-painted, finally ready for Kylo Ren’s private quarters on set.

The melted Vader helmet replica, which seems like it would be particularly hard to reproduce, is also 100 percent accurate. “The file we’ve got now, the file we’re creating prop replicas from, is the file that the original was printed from,” Enright explains. “So there’s absolutely no difference to that. There’s one file. There’s no molding, there’s no loss of authenticity there. It’s the real thing.” Making it real means remaking the actual artifact — not what we saw on-film, which was lit to create a certain mood and effect. “We’ve gone for accuracy of what it’s really like,” Enright says, “because I think that’s what’s quite cool about it. We haven’t darkened it and painted it. It’s not a screen version of it. It’s a real version of it."

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone purchased and received any of the Prop Shop's props? I'm looking forward to the RPF member reviews of their work.

Has anyone purchased and received any of the Prop Shop's props? I'm looking forward to the RPF member reviews of their work.

Not yet. There are a few of us who have ordered, but to my knowledge none of us have received our items yet. They quoted 12-16 weeks production time + 2 weeks shipping, so I think most of us who ordered in the first week are hoping for delivery sometime in October. Any sooner would be a pleasant surprise.

I have a Kylo hilt coming, and I know another member a little ways up thread is awaiting a Darth Vader helmet (jealous!). Would be curious to see what other items members have ordered.

I would be curious to know how many members have ordered their props. I know their price point is higher than Master Replicas and EFx, so it would be interesting to see if they are selling a lot. From the videos, it looks like they are made to order in house which may give them the benefit of not carrying the overhead price of having to sell 1000-1500 units to make a profit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back