PropShop announces TFA Props!

I broke down and ordered one last night. I've spent the last few weeks trying to rationalize the cost but I finally gave in in a moment of weakness. The best I could come up with is to consider what I would be willing to pay for an actual screen used prop. Obviously, it is not but it is pretty much as close as we are going to get. I must also consider that they use skilled industry labor and at least part of the process is hand made. People in the prop community are not used to paying such a high price for skilled labor but this is a purchase direct from the production source. And the only other rational I could come up with is that I've got so much money siting with the other licensees (awaiting delayed product) that perhaps this is the necessary solution to overcome the issues we've experienced when the prop editions are trusted to cheaper large scale factories to mass replicate items that were never intended to be produced that way.

Of course, I would prefer to buy this for $900 and in the right licensee hands it would likely be profitable at that price. But, as always, I do want the quality and the lineage...and I also want it NOW. The unfortunate situation we are all faced with is that this extreme cost will make these items inaccessible to most of us and force the few of us that can afford some of these to make hard choices whereas we would have otherwise bought all of these items they're offering.

Please excuse my rambling...I spent $4,300 last night so I think this was my cathartic way of dealing with it. Now I'm going to go sell some of my props to help pay for this monster. ;-)

Wish that they are willing to ship to Asia. But guess non of us in this part of the planet will be able to acquire from propshop. But than again congratulation on having a great piece adding to your star wars collection.

I broke down and ordered one last night. I've spent the last few weeks trying to rationalize the cost but I finally gave in in a moment of weakness. The best I could come up with is to consider what I would be willing to pay for an actual screen used prop. Obviously, it is not but it is pretty much as close as we are going to get. I must also consider that they use skilled industry labor and at least part of the process is hand made. People in the prop community are not used to paying such a high price for skilled labor but this is a purchase direct from the production source. And the only other rational I could come up with is that I've got so much money siting with the other licensees (awaiting delayed product) that perhaps this is the necessary solution to overcome the issues we've experienced when the prop editions are trusted to cheaper large scale factories to mass replicate items that were never intended to be produced that way.

Of course, I would prefer to buy this for $900 and in the right licensee hands it would likely be profitable at that price. But, as always, I do want the quality and the lineage...and I also want it NOW. The unfortunate situation we are all faced with is that this extreme cost will make these items inaccessible to most of us and force the few of us that can afford some of these to make hard choices whereas we would have otherwise bought all of these items they're offering.

Please excuse my rambling...I spent $4,300 last night so I think this was my cathartic way of dealing with it. Now I'm going to go sell some of my props to help pay for this monster. ;-)
you ordered the vader helmet? Good choice!
Wish that they are willing to ship to Asia. But guess non of us in this part of the planet will be able to acquire from propshop. But than again congratulation on having a great piece adding to your star wars collection.

You are crazy!!!:lol

But if its worth the price for you its complete ok.

Please make good pic under daylight when you get it.:)

I ordered the Kylo Ren saber. I am on the fence for the Vader Helmet. I really do want that one for my The Kessel Run museum. Anyone else break down and order any of their items.

Congrats guys, hope you enjoy these in your collections. The Ren one is slightly tempting as its a very unique design but I'm just not sure about investing that much in a ST prop. If it was Han's blaster for that price I might have caved as the ANH one goes for a pretty penny. Look forward to pics from everyone.

These are awesome pieces, a nice addition to any collection. Yes, there have been a lot of gripes about the cost but that's with everything. Congrats on your purchases, Im sure you will be happy with both of them

I think its a good thing that some guys ordering this stuff and post it here in the forum.So we can learn lots more about the Original dates and colors.

We should not forget that lots of people outside the USA have no chance to see one of this replicas in person because propshop ships not international.;)

Yeah, I realized I wasn't clear. I ordered melted Vader. :)

Nice choice. That's the one I would have loved, but went for the Kylo hilt instead, which was kind of 1b to Vaders 1a. Plus, so much easier justifying $1500 to my wife than $4000, haha. Enjoy it though, I'm incredibly jealous. Lots of pics when it arrives!

You guys asked for better ref pix. We deliver. Norm took these just before we headed out to Australia (where I am now)
http://www.tested.com/art/movies/574008-photo-gallery-kylo-ren-helmet-reference-photos/

Note: I added about 5% extra silver detailing on the outside of the helm. Just to make it pop a little more in photos. Looks to me like Propshop has toned down the screen paint job (as to be expected; often paint jobs need to be quite garish to work on film) and I brought it back up with just a silver sharpie. Edges here and there.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back