PropShop announces TFA Props!

Re: Prop shop Replicas Credit where credit is due

I need to mention that Adam Savage just posted on the Prop Shop thread in the star wars section that he apologizes and didn't know. He was fed the same information that everyone else got.

Re: Prop shop Replicas Credit where credit is due

This is interesting, even before Tested did a video on Adams new Kylo Ren helmet I was under the impression that it was the same studio that made the props used on set. I partially have to blame this on Disney's advertising, Prop Shop did in fact work on props used while filming the force awakens but as far as I can tell they just didn't work on the ones they're replicating for sale? Obviously Tested doesn't have fact checkers as good as the ones from Mythbusters, but I wouldn't go running to blame Adam. Heres a nice video that explains the replicas there making rather nicely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGd7scCp6xc

Maybe they should have used that for the intro :D

each department works differently nearly every one does 2D work first be that a sketch or photoshop when they get close to what the HOD wants that is shown to the director, then it will be models ether CAD or ye oldy wood/clay. but the one thing we never do is only make one of anything .( unless its creature FX)

Last edited:
the printer used by Prop shop are powder based, meant for investment casting. so great for sand casting molds for engine parts but the actual print fall apart and are very fragile not like the SLA print we get.

Arsttls Lntrn did indeed reach out to me via DM. I appreciate him popping in to clarify the situation. I've reached out to various people for clarification, and while I'm traveling right now, I'll cover the correction and credit the proper folks very soon. it was completely unintentional. Sorry about all that.

I'm disinclined to defend myself when I feel no defense is necessary. I've always enjoyed giving credit where credit is due.
Nonetheless.
I didn't take credit for the incredible work I commissioned and paid Mike Scott to do on the Clavius suit from 2001. Post SDCC 2015, we did an episode of Still Untitled that specifically covered his excellent work on the suit. Post con is where I historically cover the finer details of my costumes. Mike and I corresponded about it at the time and he appreciated how I covered his craftsmanship. Minute 26 here:
http://www.tested.com/art/makers/534682-spacesuits-and-quadcopter-safety-7212015/
Having watched all there videos and the interview and can see how anyone would think Prop Shop made all the props. With the ganging orders in all our contracts these days its very hard for crews to speak out when things like this happen. Marketing departments only see dollars so a little white lie here or there?. PROP SHOP don't have a great reputation over here in the UK and I don't think this will help them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot that technically you can print dense metal like steel. Maybe that accounts for some of the huge mark-ups - I haven't actually seen a printer do that myself but I've heard theyre out there!

Juts read more details on the site. It says that it's "made of a composition of 3D printing materials, forged items, and cast items," so it would seem that metal is certainly involved, possibly the majority of the saber or at least the main body, with some of the greebles being what's 3D-printed.

Edit: Ah, was typing at the same time as me. Beat me to it...

Yeah, that thing looks very metally to me. It would be a pain in the butt to make the 3d print as shiny and metal-like as in the pictures, right? :/

"“This is the first year I’m doing incognito with a partner,” Savage told EW. “I’ve been building this suit from 2001 for five years now. It was close to completion when Chris called me up.”"

Well, I guess it missed the Entertainment Weekly article, too.

Better late than never. Good on you.

I'm done.

Quotes like that can be altered by the author of the article. It might have been shortened or changed to get a certain point across. Maybe he was referring to earlier iterations of the costume, or he made certain parts from scratch. That being said, I think it's not fair to accuse a fellow member, especially when said member has done as much for the community as asavage, of not giving credit when he is known to always give credit where credit is due. It's not nice and it doesn't belong here either. :)

Going by this pic a few pages back the Ren saber is white to start with so I'm guessing the main body is 3d printed.

image.jpg

Ben

I ordered the Kylo Saber yesterday. Just over $1500 with import duty, shipping, and tax. Told myself if they ever put out an official Kylo I was going to get it early, and not be stuck trying to find a deal on a used one down the road. Was not expecting $1500, but luckily I have a pretty understanding wife lol.

No communication as of yet beyond the confirmation email. Will update this throughout the process if anyone is interested.

Even though tbe price is not right for me I do hope that your happy with the deal. ;)

Ben

I forgot that technically you can print dense metal like steel. Maybe that accounts for some of the huge mark-ups - I haven't actually seen a printer do that myself but I've heard theyre out there!

NASA has actually printed parts used in rocket motors. I would have felt the cost was justified if the ANH lightsaber was at least printed in metal!

Does the tape label on that front most practice saber say "hero"? (Upside down) looks like it, but hard to see on my tablet

Trying....to resist....30th birthday...Kylo hilt..

Seriously though, 50% drop due to poor sales and I'll bite...

..if it's metal.

Nobody has answered the question I asked earlier and I'm still curious. If these prices are because of the liscence fees,where does that leave us with the future of lisceenced Star Wars props?Are we going to see insane prices from now on?If so I'm out.Although I do prefer fan made stuff. Lol. ;)

I also wonder if this has something to do with the EFX liscence rumors. Has EFX gone to renew their liscence and Disney want 3 times as much as before and EFX hasn't been ready for it?

Ben

Nobody has answered the question I asked earlier and I'm still curious. If these prices are because of the liscence fees,where does that leave us with the future of lisceenced Star Wars props?Are we going to see insane prices from now on?If so I'm out.Although I do prefer fan made stuff. Lol. ;)

I also wonder if this has something to do with the EFX liscence rumors. Has EFX gone to renew their liscence and Disney want 3 times as much as before and EFX hasn't been ready for it?

Ben

I don't think anyone here can answer that question. We're not privy to the inner workings of Disney or Propshop's accounting departments. As a rule of thumb though I wouldn't count on the prices of licensed pieces decreasing to MR levels anytime soon. ;)

Ben

While I am sure the licensing is more expensive in the past, I highly doubt its the sole reason for the price.

These are items which are made by a prop shop that actually made some of the props. Not some Chinese mass production factory like MR were.

Sounds like the materials used and methods could be close to the same as well. 3D printing probably saves prop makers money for limited runs due to speed etc. I don't think 3D printing is cost effective for mass production, but I am not a manufacturing expert.

While I agree these are pricey, I personally think people are over reacting on the price. Especially if you collect "prop replicas" with the prop accuracy in mind. Yes you are paying a premium having artists that (may) have worked on TFA props build your replica.

If you are looking for replicas of the items if they were "real", sorta like MR created then I can understand how these would be a turn off. Just as eFXs Maul saber was not appealing to me since it was not metal (though it was a more accurate prop replica).

I am fully aware that the OT props were made from real items and that does sorta make the MR stuff more "prop replica" like, but that is generally not how it is done today so as a "prop" collector it seems either your standards/focus need to shift or your appreciation of the current prop materials grows.

I will add I am not buying these, and would love to have a mass produced MR like product to purchase but also and starting to appreciate cheaper fan made items.

It's a simple model for them sell their items at a high price with restricted supply which will probably bring in more money than selling a bulk load for less.
There will always be someone out there who will buy due to their lineage.

I'm quite curious how these 3D printed helmets will hold up over decades. I mean they are essentially made of fused powder. I also wonder how this will affect screen used props decades from now. Will they all eventually become dust? Will collecting screen used 3D prints be impossible one day?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back