Props lost or destroyed

They weren't used for filming, they were used in the 1990s for a promotional tour for a VHS release of the original trilogy in Europe.

Anyone know what happened to the ship from Flight of the Navigator?

Google yielded a few dated pics like this:

trimaxiondroneship.jpg

...actually, an rpf search yielded this as the sad endings of 1 of 2 ships:

3304098526_742dc3a09b_z.jpg

Yep the top ship is sitting in the backlot at disney's mgm studios. And the second has sadly been modified and put on top of a drink stand in Tomorrowland in the magic kingdom.

The 55-foot model of the Titanic from the 1980 movie, "Raise the Titanic," was just recently taken off the lot it sat in for 3 decades and apparently scrapped. Left to rot outside for all those year, it was past the point of economic restoration.

Another 35-foot model of the ship, used in either the movie Titanic (1953) or A Night To Remember (1958) is supposedly in danger of being repossessed/destroyed. It was loaned to a maritime museum in New England that's going under. It belongs to the Titanic Historical Society in Apple Orchard (?), Massachusetts. THS really wants that model back if the museum closes.

See, what all these lost models/props have in common is money. Sometimes, the miniatures/sets/props are so big that it's uneconomical or impractical to store them. Generally speaking, the whole business of movie memorabilia has only been a huge enterprise for the past 2 or so decades. Before that, studios had to keep things in storage wherever they could find it, auction it off to a very few fans that gave a rat's ass about this stuff, or demolish and throw materials.

Even some of the bigger fans like Debbie Reynolds have had a hard time holding onto collections and eventually had to sell them off! It's just not practical for most people -- or institutions -- to house this stuff. So much of it is wrecked by the end of shooting films that it's questionable whether it's even worth it to keep half this stuff...

The Spinner from Blade Runner was sitting OUTSIDE in the Boneyard at Disney-MGM Studios in the early '90s, anyone know if it's still there?

The Spinner from Blade Runner was sitting OUTSIDE in the Boneyard at Disney-MGM Studios in the early '90s, anyone know if it's still there?

Was thinking that was covered earlier in this thread but not finding it.

Sure someone else can elaborate but as I recall, the Spinner suffered more and more damage from sitting outside so in their infinite wisdom the Disney folks finally took a chainsaw to it.

Problem is, no one realized it was the Hero Spinner, the only one built with an interior. I believe others have survived, but they're solely exterior mock-ups, like the lighter weight unit used for wire work, etc.

I don’t think anyone has been able to locate the original Galileo shuttle for several years. Last I read here on the RPF it has been presumed destroyed.

-John

There's pics out there of the full size original Galileo shuttle rotting away in a junkyard.Not sure about the miniature.

Just last night I got to reading another thread here on the RPF regarding the trials and travails of the Gallileo's current owner. The thread keeps branching to other forums so it took awhile to dig through. The shots of it in storage in Southern CA are there but only a few terrible cellphone pics of it in it's current state.

no, it was in blade runner. such a shame

Yes, it is FROM Blade Runner, but I do believe that one of the spinner cars were used in BTTF 2 in the scene where Marty gets his first look 'round of the 2015 Hill Valley.

*squints*
"The FUTURE..."

It was my understanding that the spinner car on display in the Seattle Science Fiction Museum is original and screen used from B.R.
Does anyone here know for sure about that?

I believe the Universal Boneyard Spinner was one of the two real hero units.

And I think the Spinner restored by Paul Allen was the "Latta" Spinner that was badly damaged while being moved at some point in its history.

I was always a little surprised that the paint use in the restoration was a metallic blue, rather than the blue that could have easily been matched from the original.

Phil

The first image is of the Paul Allen Spinner, just as restoration was beginning after the car was bought at Profiles (sold in December 2003 at Profiles for $55,000?). The other shots were labeled as the "Latta Spinner" in my archives. They're the same car (look at the 'O' on the RETRO:25 sticker).

spinner_restore_01.jpg

spinner_restore_02.jpg

spinner_restore_03.jpg

Phil

Was thinking that was covered earlier in this thread but not finding it.

Sure someone else can elaborate but as I recall, the Spinner suffered more and more damage from sitting outside so in their infinite wisdom the Disney folks finally took a chainsaw to it.

Problem is, no one realized it was the Hero Spinner, the only one built with an interior. I believe others have survived, but they're solely exterior mock-ups, like the lighter weight unit used for wire work, etc.

What a waste. I worked at WDW in 1993-1997, and saw that thing loads of times. It's a shame they were so careless with it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back