Props lost or destroyed

Why do the studios let this happen?!?!

I don't know that it's "the studios'" fault; there are so many niche companies involved in producing a film today that there's likely some question a the end of the day as to who exactly owns what. Add to that the sheer volume of material, storage requirements, no clear-cut means of "disposal" (that is, do they just put it up on CraigsList? Make a deal with the Devil -- like the Prop Store -- ? "Loan" it to Planet Hollywood ... oops, not an option anymore), and you've got something of conundrum.

Some of this thread reminds me of an incident with a former employer: I had become something of the de facto historian so other employees (including senior management) would bring me prototypes that had been used to obtain patents, product used and returned by NASA, last known examples, and more.

I was away from the office for a week and came back to find all of it gone. "What happened?," I asked my boss. "Threw it all out," he told me. "Why?!" "I don't like to have old things around, I only want to see new stuff."

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

But that's another story.

In this old days, such stuff was studio stored (aka 'fold and hold') since it was studio made and property. It took too much lot space to so that. They sold off items or trashed them or items walked away (LOL). Areas of studios get cleared out to be remolded because prop storage is dead space and not making much money like needed production office space for new rentals. But, now the studios just subcontract or rent space to productions that have their own crews to built items many times. It's then owned by the production company which may hold onto items or store them for a wildly successful film's sequel or prequel.
In the old studio days, I really wonder what happened to those iconic props or set pieces like the giant ants from 'Them', the Krell lab from 'Forbidden Planet' or the like. I know some props just get re-made or re-issued once the studio trademark or copyright licensing is agreed to and allowed.

...I really wonder what happened to those iconic props or set pieces like the giant ants from 'Them', the Krell lab from 'Forbidden Planet' or the like. I know some props just get re-made or re-issued once the studio trademark or copyright licensing is agreed to and allowed.

The ants were likely too recognizable (besides, name a production that could have utilized them) but bits from the Krell labs turned-up in MGM films for a good many years to follow as well as television series like The Twilight Zone.

not sure if its been posted anywhere but here are pics of the train used in the matrix. Cityrail interurban car which was a decommissioned electric train modified to appear more like a NY subway metro. (These used to travel around Sydney Australia)

As far as I know it was scrapped after filming as nobody wanted to take it (rail buffs/preservation didn't want a modified carriage)

congrats to the guy who got the X-wing nose!Thats awesome!
does anybody know what happened to the truck from duel?I dont know why but I always enjoyed that film

Does anyone know what happened to blasters/lightsabers that aren't on display or in the archives? The V2, han's blasters, all those sterlings.. Yuma stunts, Vader's...everything...I know Obi Wan's was taken apart and returned, also heard a lot was taken home from the set.

This is one of the most fascinating threads I've ever read here. (So much so that I read every post.) It's interesting and frustrating and sad and just bittersweet. All I really have to add is that shortly after BTTF2 came out*, I went on the Universal Studios tour and I was pretty excited to see the courthouse and one of the Deloreans parked on the courthouse side of the street, partially covered with a tarp.

*I'm iffy on this; I know I went to Universal in late 1987 so maybe it was after the movie wrapped but before the release. FWIW.

image-326847-galleryV9-hgyv.jpg

This is THE Love Boat. It was just sold to be scrapped.

Tim

Ah yes, that would be the Pacific Princess, formerly known as the Sea Venture. Her sister ship, ex-Island Venture, is still sailing as MV Discovery if I remember correctly.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back