PROP PARTY: Minneapolis, MN

Discussion in 'Conventions and Prop Parties' started by thuth, May 7, 2006.

1. thuth

thuth Well-Known Member

FINAL DETAILS

Click HERE for a PDF with maps, phone & email.

MINNESOTA PROP PARTY
    Saturday, May 20
    5:00PM to 9:00PM
    212 Third Avenue North, #295
    Minneapolis, MN

• Bring your cool props.
    • Beer & some hard and soft drinks will be provided, but bring what you want.
    • We will take up a collection for pizza if enough are interested, otherwise there are lots of bars & restaurants in the area.
    • Please RSVP via post or to my PM Inbox (Tony "thuth" Huth).

CONFIRMED ATTENDEES

1. thuth (Tony)
    2. MaxPlague (Jason)
    3. Jedi Lawja (Jay)
    4. ssdesigner (Scott)
    5. OB10 (Obi-Bob)
    6. Paradox (G)
    7. TK172 (Kevin)
    8. Blair
    9. neosporing
    10. Mike AKA (Minnesota Jones)
    11. Amada
    12. Romeo

There are a couple guys from the BOTB that have confirmed as well.

NOTICE: Although there is parking in the rear of the building, because of construction in the lower level, you will need to walk around to the front entrances on 3rd Avenue. Our entrance is directly across from the Monte Carlo restaurant/bar and will have a sign on it.

LOADING: You can pull up next to our front entrance on 3rd Avenue and pull into the little alleyway right by it to unload props. Then park on the street or in the back of the building.

**NEW PDF LINK AT TOP**

2. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm so in....obviously :D

-Ss

3. TK171

TK171 Well-Known Member

Hey Tony.

Thanks for taking this on.

Put me down as tenative for right now. I think I can make it, but you know.. gotta check with da wifey n all...

PS. Passed on the link to this thread to a few others who don't frequent the board as much.

Joe

4. TK172

TK172 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thuth @ May 7 2006, 03:27 PM) [snapback]1239945[/snapback]</div>

5. Paradox

Paradox Well-Known Member

I should be able to make it. If something comes up that prevents me from being there, I'll let you know.

I'll probably have something to show off too. B)

-G

6. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Paradox @ May 8 2006, 07:28 PM) [snapback]1240889[/snapback]</div>

I'm in Menomonie, WI. (forgot what month it was lol) Let me check the calander and wife as well.
    dave

7. scarf man

scarf man Sr Member

I'm in Eau Claire, WI. I have to work late on saturdays :angry(resturant job) , but would be in if you guys ever do a prop party on a sunday. I'm sure I'll make it to one someday. :( Have a great time and take some pictures.

8. TK171

TK171 Well-Known Member

Hey Tony,
    FYI.. Kevins reply had him added....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TK172 @ May 8 2006, 03:52 PM) [snapback]1240750[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

I'm still working on the kitchen pass to come...
    Joe

9. thuth

thuth Well-Known Member

Does this look up to date to all?

10. OB10

OB10 Sr Member

Blair's confirmed. He'll be coming as well. There's a few other people who won't know for a little while yet, but if they decide to come, I'll let you know.

Obi-Bob

11. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

Hello all,

I've never met any of you but have been lurking on the boards here for a few years. Was wondering if I could attend. I've got a few props and have recently moved to Menomonie, WI last august.

12. Jedi Lawja

Jedi Lawja Well-Known Member

Of COURSE you're welcome to attend. Pleasure to meet you. I'm Jay.

13. ssdesigner

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thuth @ May 9 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]1241604[/snapback]</div>

Yes, but you misspelled Capitan Cardboard (inside joke, will explain at party ;) )

I keed. I KEEEED. :p

-Ss

14. thuth

thuth Well-Known Member

I lurked for 8 months or so, waiting for membership, but I am still pretty much an RPF noob-- only 20-some posts. I don't really know anyone here very well. I can't even post in the JY yet. :p

But the timing just worked out perfect for me to host this and I have an appropriate space in a great location, so I am happy to do it.

15. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thuth @ May 10 2006, 09:15 AM) [snapback]1241943[/snapback]</div>
    Do you guys usually discuss what kind of props are being brought ahead of time? Any of you have any studio scale models? :D

I'm not exactly sure what to bring.

16. TK171

TK171 Well-Known Member

Neo,

go ahead and discuss what you have/want to bring/ or what you want to see... Bring what you can fit into your car.. or anything for that mattter. Anything and everything is cool.

Sounds like we'll have some Bat props this go, if BOTB guys/gals show.. That'll be somehting different to most of this regular crowd, but very cool.

In the past we've had mostly Starwars related stuff... also: anything Sci-fi related, some WW era stuff.. Rocketeer, Office space, Spiderman, X-men, etc.. props/costumes.. just about anything. Some just have a few things, some have a huge collection of stuff they bring, and some just show up to see it all and hang out.

Whatever floats your boat.. Bring it along.

But feel free to discuss. Sometime people bring limited amount of their collection because of the room or because they don't want to bring everything they own. But if there is something you've heard about, seen pics of (but not in person) and would like to see.. throw it on the board incase someone has it and can bring it along....

17. Rook 3

Rook 3 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Since I just saw the tread (late as usual... :D ) I can't guarantee I can make it, but I'm interested, and I'll certainly try. Haven't made one since the get togeather at MinFX...

Russ

18. OB10

OB10 Sr Member

Well, Rook, I hope you can make it. Haven't seen any drool inspiring Pulse Rifles or SG1 stuff in person since MNFex, either. And if you can make it, some of us will need to pick your brains on SG stuff.

And I hope some of you Wisconsin cats can make it, despite all possible odds. It'd be cool to meet some of the other guys somewhere in the region. And it'll be good to meet you, too, Thuth. Plus all the other locals I haven't met, yet.

And then there are the people who just try to pretend they don't know us. Punk? ;)

Obi-Bob

19. thuth

thuth Well-Known Member

On Monday, I will post a link to a "mini-site" with all the info people will need including maps, phone numbers, etc.

20. TK171

TK171 Well-Known Member

F-Bomb....... I'm out guys, sorry. :angry

Was told last night by my mother-in law, that we HAVE TO be at Val's uncle's 60th B-day gig that night... We are going to dinner at the Lexington. * me off to no end. I don't need a fancy dancy dinner... esp, when we'll be going to his Hot Rod/retirement party within a month of this...

Don't people know there are cool props to be seen n stuff? Sheesh -

Will have to meet you new catz at the next one.. Take lots o'pics.

Ps. Scott, keep your cell on. Depending on what time we get out of dinner, and if it's still going on, I might be able to swing by.

J

21. ssdesigner

Sounds good Jobi. Sorry you can't make it man....but this should earn you some decent "points" so you can party with us good and proper at Convergence :D

Will do. :):thumbsup

-Ss

22. OB10

OB10 Sr Member

DUDE. Come on. You can get a divorce in 3, 4 days tops, can't you? :D Maybe you could convince them it would be much classier to have a LUNCH thingy than a DINNER thingy.

You've got a bad case of stomach flu that day, don't you? You should really be near a hospital. And there's a couple of 'em downtown.... :angel

Just a thought.

Obi-Bob

23. Rook 3

F-Bomb from me too. :(

Wife's dad is up and down (we provide full time care for him) physically, and we can't get anyone to watch him on the weekends.

If somone is keeping a list of people to contact when these get-togeathers occur, please put me on it so I have a little more advance warning.

Next time...

Russ

24. thuth

thuth Well-Known Member

This was short notice, but i will have a list going for next time.

If it goes well, we could make it an annual thing.

25. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(thuth @ May 16 2006, 11:55 AM) [snapback]1245159[/snapback]</div>

I hope you'll can make it. This is the first 'prop related party' i've ever been too.

anyone have an all metal pkd blaster? :D
    I've got a doppleganger but was hoping someone had one of the cast metal ones to show off.

26. OB10

OB10 Sr Member

I've got an old BR gun of dubious origin that I've never fully put together. Resin, sadly. Got it a Creation Con 15 years ago. A couple of the parts are broken (new kit), and it wasn't the best casting. But I still plan to finish it someday.

Minnesota Jones is interested in talking with us; next year, Marscon is gonna be having a prop room, and he's looking for people to help fill it and man it. Cool, huh?

Obi-Bob

27. AJ Quick

AJ Quick Well-Known Member

Too bad I am having a BBQ at the same time.

Otherwise I might show up with my proton pack.

28. Jedi Lawja

I'm finishing up a resin BR Gun. Got it partially assembled and painted. No idea who made it, but the cast was from a very small run by Pete Lukas. I'll remember to toss it in the bag.

I've also got a BBQ at the same time. Guess I like you guys more.

Jay

29. thuth

thuth Well-Known Member

I just posted a link to a PDF with full info in my first post...

30. TK171

TK171 Well-Known Member

HEck of a map you got going on there.

I had ya at across the street from Deja Vu.. :love

I'm still hoping to swing by at the end of it.. but the way my mother-in-law rambles.. we probably won't get out of dinner until 10pm or later... We even got an overnight sitter for Jack (thinking the worst).

If I don't make it, have fun tomorrow boyz... take lots o'pics..... I can host another in a few months down at our place and we can get out in the boat and chill on the lake.

Scott & Dal.. see you boyz tonight after work.

31. thuth

thuth Well-Known Member

The entrance to the parking lot IS directly across from Deja Vu, the big pink strip club.

Unfortunately, due to construction, you must walk back up the incline and around the corner.

If people have folding card tables, please bring one-- it might be nice to have some extra spots for prop display. I don't really know how many props to be expecting.

32. Jedi Lawja

I should be there in about 45 minutes. :)

Jay

33. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Any pics? :)

34. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(rocketeer25 @ May 20 2006, 10:06 PM) [snapback]1247763[/snapback]</div>
    [attachmentid=8158]

35. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(rocketeer25 @ May 20 2006, 10:06 PM) [snapback]1247763[/snapback]</div>

I've run out of 'global space' for posting pics.. i'll get all the pics up on a different url and then insert the images in a little bit...

36. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

37. Jedi Lawja

Another succesful Minnesota Prop Party. I missed the last gathering, so it was great seeing everyone again - and meeting a few new faces. Thanks to Tony for hosting our get-together. Neosporing (Paul, is it?) it was a pleasure meeting you. Love your airsoft attack rifles.

Blaire our own Cardboard Commando has a few more abso-farking-fantastic stratch-build props in his chosen medium - 3D cardboard sculpture. SO beautiful. First time you hold one you can't quite figure out what it's made of. Too light for solid resin, no seams for vacuum cast.. Truely works of art. Deciding that Captain Proton needed a raygun-rifle to accompany his Proton Pistol he built the Tommy-gunesque raygun. I was thinking, it's also Futuramaesque - Santa was blasting away with a Tommy-gunesque raygun. :)

Lots more interesting people and props, as the pictures show. :)

Jay

p.s. My props are the PR and everything next to it (except the buckets.)

38. darthgoat

darthgoat Well-Known Member

* I miss comin up there and rockin out with you guys.

Great pics and it looks like it was a great time.

39. ssdesigner

First let me say THANKS to Tony for hosting this party, very cool of you to do so having not known what kind of krazies would show up (yeah, NOW you now ;)) Tony is one of the coolest cats around, I'm hoping we get to have a few more prop parties with him before he moves to Chicago ;)

What a great time. It was really cool meeting you all, and equally as cool seeing new faces there.. :)

Seriously....have you EVER seen such a handsome group of folks in your whole life???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now....the evidence ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Ss

40. MaxPlague

MaxPlague Well-Known Member

Yes sir, that was a mighty fine party. THANK YOU TONY. You are a kind man, allowing us louts in your space. ;)

Great turnout I'd say, it was fun seeing you all again and also meeting the folks I'd not yet met before. A nice mix of people, props, pizza and beer.

Glad y'all liked the whip I made. :) I'm still drooling over your dual 24" LCDs, Tony. :)

41. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(MaxPlague @ May 21 2006, 02:20 PM) [snapback]1248087[/snapback]</div>

not to mention the small flotilla of Alienware PC's

42. Jedi Lawja

We missed you too, Goat. If it's any consolation, we fondly reminised about you at prop parties past.

Jay

p.s. All those sweet 'putes with the nice BIG flatscreens.. TONY. Next time, how 'bout loading up some cool multi-player games and turn your COMPUTER center into a GAME center. We can kill each other to our virtual hearts content. C'mon, I KNOW you've THOUGHT about it. :p

43. Rook 3

Dang, looked like another fine party. Wish I could have been there too.

Russ

44. thuth

thuth Well-Known Member

I think it went really great considering that no one had a clue who I am and were just hoping that I wasn't waiting behind the door to conk heads and grab props. :lol

My thanks goes out to all of the attendees for taking the risk, and especially to those who hauled their cool stuff to a stranger's place.

This was my first prop party to either attend or host, and I can't wait to do it again. I think its great to actually know RPF'ers by name and face, and be able to call them "friend."

It's amazing what happens with a handful of hours, some expensive toys, a couple cases of beer, and a room full of friendly, like-minded folks. Good times.

45. Jedi Lawja

Tony, which props were yours?

Jay

46. thuth

thuth Well-Known Member

I was the only Batman collector there-- so anything related to the Bat-movies was mine.

Two other guys from the Brotherhood of the Bat forum had confirmed, but did not show up.

47. MaxPlague

MaxPlague Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(thuth @ May 22 2006, 08:35 AM) [snapback]1248546[/snapback]</div>
    And some mighty fine Bat-props they were. VERY cool to see the Robin suit in person and the metal batarangs from "Begins" were awesome.

48. ssdesigner

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    I agree....and the explanation of the knife thrower and the sawmill blade cut-out was cool as well, really neat stuff.. :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    That's what it's all about Tony. The feeling is mutual :)

Can't wait to get together again. :cheers

-Ss

49. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

[​IMG]

Someone has cast the vintage Buck Rogers ray gun? Who? Where?? Me want.

50. TK171

TK171 Well-Known Member

Dang.. I wish I was there.

Looks like you guys has a great time. Sorry I couldn't make it... Fanm damily gets in the way again.

I'm up for hosting another one down at our place again.. Maybe a Sat afternoon/night in mid-late July (after Convergence) or sometime in August.

Great pics all.

Joe