Profiles in History's "The Dreier Collection" auction hammers $2.4 million

I've been to a couple of their live auctions, just to see what went on. One WAS taped for the show, but I never saw it, so I don't know how it was edited. And at one of the auctions, yes, at least one consignor was there. And he was very happy at how the sale of his pieces went. He kept giving me thumbs up signs.

I am a relative neophite when it comes to auctions. Just my observations......

Gene

PS- Jason, if I had a case of JarJar figures, I think I would just shoot myself......

I've been to a couple of their live auctions, just to see what went on. One WAS taped for the show, but I never saw it, so I don't know how it was edited. And at one of the auctions, yes, at least one consignor was there. And he was very happy at how the sale of his pieces went. He kept giving me thumbs up signs.

I am a relative neophite when it comes to auctions. Just my observations......

Gene

PS- Jason, if I had a case of JarJar figures, I think I would just shoot myself......

Well, that suggest you went recently, I haven't been to one since they started the show, so things might have been different... I went to one at Universal Studios, that one had cameras all over the place, but I think that was before the show was announced... And I don't think they filmed the bidders much, it was usually the items, the auctioneer, and some celebrity guests.

When you were there, were they filming professionally for the show, or did you just see a camera or two recording? They video record every auction for legal reasons (proof of bidder identity, stuff like that), but not for broadcast on TV. Did you have to sign or agree to a waiver of some kind indicating you were okay with your image being used on TV? I think that's required if they intend to use the footage for a show.

Consignors do show up I'm sure, I was just saying they weren't sitting at a special table screaming and yelling and bouncing in their seats every time and item of theirs sold... That's the impression I get of the show from the descriptions posted here... :lol Every time I've been there, I've never seen anyone give a sign that they were the ones selling a particular item (although I have seen the auctioneer occasionally look at someone to see if they can sell something that hasn't met the reserve... So sometimes one or two might be there.)

The first one I went to was at their office and wasn't filmed. That was the one where a lot of Stan Winston's stuff and stuff from BOSS Film was sold off. While not fancy, it was a complicated setup, with people at phones and computers.

The second one was in Dec of 2010 - it was at the theater over on Wilshire - the Saban. That was done for the show. I signed a consent form and they had a few cameras there covering all of the action and interviewing people. I didn't feel I needed to be interviewed - i wasn't bidding, and i didn't want to represent my friend whose lots I was checking in on. Other than the setting, it appeared like any other auction. The camera/TV people were in the back or off to the sides, trying to be as unobtrusive as possible. No one yelling 'cut', no one asking for a do over. It looked like they were just filming an auction - that's all.

Gene

If you are collecting PROPS as an investment, you should really seek professional financial help, and possibly professional mental help as well.

Memory and enthusiasm fade over time. Sure, some items fetch hefty $$ now, but if your GRANDKIDS try and sell it? No one will care what it is...

If you are collecting PROPS as an investment, you should really seek professional financial help, and possibly professional mental help as well.

Memory and enthusiasm fade over time. Sure, some items fetch hefty $$ now, but if your GRANDKIDS try and sell it? No one will care what it is...

Oh come on its not that bad is it :lol

I don't know about that... I've been witness to people spending a ton of money on some horribly stupid things, and none of them were props. Be sure to remind anyone that thought dropping $50k or more on a facelift that makes them look cartoonishly deformed was a good idea. Heck, a lady at a fundraiser I was at recently had her boobs ratcheted up so often that they're practically shoulder pads now, but I'm sure she thinks that they were a good investment, too. How about people that thought buying real estate at the top of the housing bubble was a good idea? And the list goes on and on. =P

If anything, collecting props often makes more sense than a lot of the nutty things that those with a few coins in their pocket choose to spend it on.

Do these phones on the TV show 'ring'? That's not really how PIH does phone bids... Sure, I suppose you can call in all of a sudden if you decide you have to have something (but they'd have to know who you are, they won't just take bids from anyone that calls their number...), but 99% of their 'phone bidding' are pre-arranged bidders that want to bid on a specific item over the phone. They give PIH their phone number, and PIH _calls them_ a few lots before the one they want and handle the bidding at the appropriate time. Joe himself frequently handles the phone bids for the really big ticket items (or maybe it's certain clients he deals with, not sure, but he's always on the phone taking bids during the auctions...) It's not like a call center 'with lines open and operators standing by'... :rolleyes

I'm pretty sure everything you see on the TV show is a glorified stereotype of what people want an auction to look like... I almost want to watch one episode now just to see what everyone is talking about... :cool

Well when one of the main characters on the show is on the phone the
auctioneer will say Joe has the bid and Joe will act or is talking with a bidder

and he will raise his hand .

He is always on the phone with a player . The people are on the phone with the bidders already when the auction starts it seems like they are talking about a game plan of course, Joe and the others are trying to get the phone clients to go up .

I don't feel that asking a question, based on your actions both public and private is "embarrassing myself." It was simply a question. You have been the unwavering flag-bearer for Profiles for a number of years; you posted up a thread, people asked questions, you responded, then Fong makes a clear rebuttal on his blog with you responding to his blog post almost instantaneously. I believe most people can see where it might appear that you prompted Fong's blog post.

With that being said, I did chat with Fong this morning and he said that was NOT the case and it was not you that prompted his blog post. If you feel that the incorrect conclusion I made needs an apology, then consider this my apology.

Unbelievable Art. You find out you were wrong as I said early on and you post the above? Since you did, I would be more than happy to respond.

I don't feel that asking a question, based on your actions both public and private is "embarrassing myself."

Show me where you asked a question in your first post mentioning me.

You didn't just "ask a question" Art and you know it. You inferred I had something to do with Fong's haxbee post based on your untrue assumptions and you were wrong.

As for embarrassing yourself, you have, and still continue to. The chain of events is very simple to understand. I made an informational post about the Dreier auction totals. The thread went way off topic starting with post #11 mentioning jdebord's article. I didn't "answer any questions" and no "questions" were put to me. You then post your original incorrect assumption about me. I tell you you're wrong. You come back with another wise crack. I again tell you you're wrong. You then finally contact Fong and he corroborates what I told you twice in two separate posts. Instead of just saying, "I checked things and you were right Jim, I'm sorry", you come back now with more snide remarks, name calling, and additional excuses.

You have been the unwavering flag-bearer for Profiles for a number of years

I write about movie props, collecting, behind the scenes movie info, and similar entertainment subject matter. Articles have been about Disney, Comic Con, Stan Winston Studios/Legacy Effects, KNBEFX, Propworx, Heritage Auctions, ScreenUsed, Profiles in History, Bonhams, Christies, Premier Props, Juliens, etc, which did not involve "unwavering flag-bearing" of any kind.

Are other media outlets such as ABC, CBS, NBC, REUTERS, The Associate Press, The Huffington Post, The Today Show, Oprah Winfrey and others who mention Profiles, "unwavering flag-bearers" too? (<--- that is asking a question, as the sentence ends with a question mark)

I would never call you or anyone else "unwavering flag-bearers" for interviewing Doug Dreier, Joe Maddalena, Stephen Lane, etc, at Comic Con 2012. I interviewed them as well and know that is not the case.

It would also be preposterous for anyone to call you, your article writers, and interviewers "unwavering flag-bearers" for interviewing the cool company, WETA, one of your advertisers, HERE and HERE, or the equally cool Sideshow Collectibles in articles, ads, and mentions.

you posted up a thread, people asked questions, you responded

Untrue. Did you actually read all of this thread Art? (<--- also a question).

I posted an informational thread about the Dreier auction total and did not respond to any of the posts that totally changed the subject of the thread after that. I only commented when you made your incorrect conclusions regarding myself.

My reader response to Fong had nothing to do with therpf or this thread. It had everything to do with what I read in Fong's post about the subject. My response is very clear about the negativity in general of some in this hobby and I mention that Stacey Roman is one of the best at his job (auctioneer). That's it.

The added fact that Fong verified this in your contact with him further supports what I have said from the beginning. Why you thought I had anything to do with Fong's article is due to your admittedly making incorrect assumptions about me without verifying your facts.

Regardless, all of this could have been easily avoided. You could have contacted me via pm or emails as you have done in the past, and you most certainly should have contacted Fong before making your "incorrect conclusions" about me. Instead, you contact Fong after you did your damage.

Your making additional excuses not only embarrasses you, it's pretty sad.

Last edited:

I would actually say the opposite to almost every sentence you wrote. Not that I believe it's the right thing but that's where the whole prop collecting world is going. Kind of like modern art or even graffiti collectors.

As far as memory and enthusiasm fading over time, man I would've loved to be around when they were throwing out 2001 stuff....or even better Wizard of Oz bricks! I might be living in Malibu now. :lol

Dave

........I would've loved to be around when they were throwing out 2001 stuff....or even better Wizard of Oz bricks! I might be living in Malibu now. .......

Correct. IF you were able to get the stuff for cheap/free and it was considered "iconic". But, if you are buying stuff at Profiles (or Christies, or Butterfields, or....etc) today and expecting to flip it for a profit - I think you are taking a risk, simply because you are paying retail (plus).

Certain films are timeless, and almost anything from them will increase in value - 2001, Oz, Star Wars. But a lot of films are fads. And fads have the danger of turning on themselves very quickly.

A friend of mine happened to get into collecting items from a TV show back in the late 80's - after it had been off the air for a period of years. Managed to pick up some key items relatively cheap. He resold them at a substantial profit (like help with the mortgage or remodel or new car type-profit). But he bought from private owners and sold at auction. How many times do you think the price can be doubled on stuff? At auction?

Risky......

Gene

Logically I would agree with you Gene but look at these prices. :confused They may not double or triple but I can't believe how high they go from year to year. The growth percentage is still way better than my real-estate or 401k investments that's for sure. Maybe the marketing done by the auction houses makes a difference? More and more high end collectors world wide are aware of an item...demand goes up....prices go up. I agree that it will have to peak at some point but I don't see it being a bubble burst type thing.

Dave

Beanie-babies.... Nuff said :)

I think this question comes up a lot and has always been answered best "buy what you love". Investing in anything is gambling and props are no exception. Some things will go up, some will go down (spank you captain obvious :behave). At the end of the day ANYTHING is only worth what someone is willing to pay. If you can make educated moves and buy low/sell high good on you. No different than the stock market. If you just start buying stuff willy nilly at high retail thinking there is no limit... you probably should brush up on your Wal-Mart greeting skills as the retirement odds aren't in your favor.

I really enjoy their show and have seen every episode. Love seeing what the props sell for.

I was interested in the Superman green crystal but my max was $10k and it ended up selling for around $23k. :(

I am surprised that some of the stuff does not sell for more...I am also a little nervous on how authentic some of their pieces are, plus worried how these props look in person. Wish I lived in the area to visit.

I am surprised that some of the stuff does not sell for more...I am also a little nervous on how authentic some of their pieces are, plus worried how these props look in person. Wish I lived in the area to visit.

Agreed. My issue with PIH is that many pieces are being presented as originals without any information on provenance/authenticity. Given numerous cases of items finally being pulled from auction as they were replicas I am really careful in selecting the items I bid on.

That being said the variety and overall quality of items sold by PIH is quite amazing, I guess you just need to do your homework before deciding to bid and be really disciplined in how you bid (never exceed your max).

Oh come on its not that bad is it :lol
Actually yes, it's exactly that bad. Or much worse, as many props will substantially lose value during your own lifetime, never mind your kids or grandkids. Collecting props as an investment is truly insane and reflects unrealistic optimism and poor judgment.

I write about movie props, collecting, behind the scenes movie info, and similar entertainment subject matter. Articles have been about Disney, Comic Con, Stan Winston Studios/Legacy Effects, KNBEFX, Propworx, Heritage Auctions, ScreenUsed, Profiles in History, Bonhams, Christies, Premier Props, Juliens, etc, which did not involve "unwavering flag-bearing" of any kind.
What a massive load of crap. You have been Profile's 'boy' on the forums for years, and promote everything they do without the slightest critical assessment whatsoever, on all the online forums that will still have you (i.e. where you haven't been banned.)

I went to the Auction, was fun to be on hand to see the Galactica Items, with my unique experience of building 2 Studio Scale ships.I wanted to see what some of the artwork and costumes would go for. I was surprised when the Cylon went for 37K (it was estimated at 40K-60K)

I was there when they sold the Willy Wonka Items as well, very cool stuff indeed.

What a massive load of crap. You have been Profile's 'boy' on the forums for years, and promote everything they do without the slightest critical assessment whatsoever, on all the online forums that will still have you (i.e. where you haven't been banned.)

What a massive load of crap.

Nice mouth there rk .

You have been Profile's 'boy' on the forums for years

Writing about movie props, auctions, and related news on various companies and subjects is what I do. The facts are I have written about Disney, Comic Con, Stan Winston Studios/Legacy Effects, KNBEFX, Propworx, Heritage Auctions, ScreenUsed, Profiles in History, Bonhams, Christies, Premier Props, Juliens, and various other subjects. Your Profiles only claim is without merit.

promote everything they do without the slightest critical assessment whatsoever, on all the online forums that will still have you (i.e. where you haven't been banned.)

Writing articles based on hunches or without facts is not something I do.

Whenever I've had a question about something I've always contacted those involved via, email and or phone call. I get the facts first before ever writing anything. Let alone something speculative or possibly untrue. Case in point: The LOST auction. Some armchair "experts" on the one forum I no longer participate in suggested a prop known as the Dharma fish biscuit machine was not screen used. I used critical analysis and facts during my research to verify fairly easily that the item was indeed used in the series. I also provided a screen grab supporting what I reported in the forum thread.

Did those same people who made the false accusations apologize to anyone for their actions?

No.

The above is an additional reason why I took issue when Art made his incorrect assumptions regarding me. People should to be responsible for their actions as well as their words. They need to be careful when they assume and state something as fact when it is not. Everybody makes mistakes. When they do they should acknowledge those mistakes, apologize without excuses or insults, and move on.

Getting back to your recent post here. You basically made the same baseless claims on the forum above where the LOST debate originated.

Your untrue, emotional, and unsupported posts concerning me on that forum were unproven as the rest of your claims. I have saved those posts and can provide them if need be because in the past, the Admin there removed and edited dozens of posts without explanation. I can verify that too. Rpf members interested in the posts made on theprf can view them, HERE: Posts 60,62, & 63. They consist of similar comments made by you as well as my responses to those comments.

I will say once more here as I did in the above rpf posts. Feel free to back up all of your claims with verifiable facts. Name calling and emotional outbursts do not help your cause.

Finally, I am not going to get into a debate about LOST, or any other subject that has nothing to do with this original thread. This thread's original subject matter has gone totally off topic due to a lack of moderation.

Rkpeterson. While I am not sure it is possible that you can ever refrain from hijacking my threads in the future, (at least with verifiable facts), I wish you would at least try and I do hope you enjoy your day.

MoviePropCollector-

I took the time to read your site and have found that you have written about Disney, Comic Con, Stan Winston Studios/Legacy Effects, KNBEFX, Propworx, Heritage Auctions, ScreenUsed, Profiles in History, Bonhams, Christies, Premier Props, Juliens and other subjects pertinent to the hobby. I find your articles to be a fun, interesting reading.
Apparently on this forum you need to be negative and trash everybody (at the very least Profiles in History) to be accepted.

By the way, I looked up the topics started by MoviePropCollector here on the RPF (the link rkpetersen provided did not work for me) and I found it to be a mix of PIH, Propworx, ScreenUsed, KNB EFX, Prostore, San Diego Comic Con, New York Comic Con, Bonham's, Heritage, Nike, Interviews with celebrities, a book about Ray Harryhausen, etc. Please let me know if I am incorrect about what I see.

James

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back