profiles in history, another rip off?

Montagar answered bud.

He didn't answer why it was deleted... There's no reason to delete a thread because it 'got out of hand'. As mentioned previously, it should have been locked....

The last post I saw in the thread was someone posting screen shots of Leeloo in the movie wearing the suspenders, pointing out specific things that didn't match at all to the ones the OP had... It wasn't a case of camera angle or being over-stretched, it clearly did not match in that scene (granted, it was just one scene).

When I looked for the thread either later that day or the next day, it was completely gone... My assumption was that someone _asked_ for the thread to be removed, as deleting the entire thread made no sense. If someone got vulgar or threatening, delete that post and lock the thread.

There's currently at least 762 (probably more) threads in the Junkyard with a title of 'Sold, mods please delete' or something similar dating back as far 2010, and they still exist. Many of them have had the contents of the posts deleted by the OPs as well, so you can't even see what it was they sold... So there's no reason for them to still be there. I figured it was board policy not to delete a thread at all, so these just linger behind.

Which again points to some other reason for the complete removal of a thread, even if there was a disagreement about the item's authenticity...

This seems like an answer to me:

Montagar " The Leeloo thread was removed because it was simply a showoff thread that turned into a debate over authenticity and things, IIRC, got a bit out of hand"

This might not be the answer you want but it is still an answer.

Im assuming the OP requested it to be removed. Not necessarily because of the debate but because he started to doubt the authenticity of it. It did have a nice price tag on it so my guess was he got embarrassed. Hell it happens to us all eventually. The OP posts on another prop board as well, and along with the guys who run Hollywood History so Im sure it eventually all got sorted.

I will say this though, Wes and Co. over at Hollywood History are great guys. Granted they dont run their site as a living but they do back all their props with a 100% money back. Im guessing it got returned.

This seems like an answer to me:

Montagar " The Leeloo thread was removed because it was simply a showoff thread that turned into a debate over authenticity and things, IIRC, got a bit out of hand"

This might not be the answer you want but it is still an answer.

Like I said, that's not an answer for why is was DELETED... A thread 'getting out of hand' is locked, not deleted (based on past experience). And I had been reading the thread nearly up the point it disappeared, and it didn't seem to be 'getting out of hand'... Unless something happened in the last few hours of it's existence.

And 'IIRC' is a way of saying 'this is what I think happened'. In other words, he doesn't know for sure, just taking a guess...

To me, that's not an answer.

Are the mods going to start deleting every thread on the board when someone questions the authenticity of an item? Based on that 'answer', that's what would seem to be happening...

Like I said, that's not an answer for why is was DELETED...

Yes, it is.

A thread 'getting out of hand' is locked, not deleted (based on past experience).

There is no rule book concerning what a mod / admin may or may not do in their own house, for whatever reason they may have deemed it necessary.

And I had been reading the thread nearly up the point it disappeared, and it didn't seem to be 'getting out of hand'... Unless something happened in the last few hours of it's existence.

Perhaps. Though you may feel otherwise, it is not our 'right' to grill the mods / admin to further explain why a decision was taken.

And 'IIRC' is a way of saying 'this is what I think happened'. In other words, he doesn't know for sure, just taking a guess...

This is not the kind of respect I think should be shown towards a mod in a thread. In case you haven't noticed, Art hasn't been on the board for days, as he is attending an event that took lord knows how much time before that to prepare for. You cannot expect Montagar to dedicate time to this matter when there are far more important priorities to take care of, in the time he offers to the board out of his own goodwill in the first place.

The above notwithstanding, and as I said before, it is not our 'right' to grill the mods / admin to explain (further) why a decision was taken.

See all above.

Are the mods going to start deleting every thread on the board when someone questions the authenticity of an item? Based on that 'answer', that's what would seem to be happening...

That is an exaggerated statement.

But again, as I said, there is no rule book concerning what a mod / admin may or may not do in their own house, for whatever reason they may deem it necessary.

At the risk of repetition, and though you may feel otherwise, it is not our 'right' to grill the mods / admin to further explain why a decision is taken at any point in time.

If an answer is given, that is it, and it is unwise to continue to insist otherwise.

I feel that this board is run in a terrific way, and is one of the fairest and most balanced I have ever come across on the net.

But that's just me :)

Last edited:
Yes, it is.

Actually, after re-reading Montagar's post, it seems you might be right. I had originally read it as an 'I think it was deleted for this reason...' Now I see I mis-read it.

Apparently the OP of the thread requested it to be deleted because it was just supposed to be a showoff thread that turned into a thread questioning the authenticity of the item, and they honored that request and removed it.

The 'IIRC' part was about it getting out of hand... But regardless of whether that happened or not, it was just a matter of the OP requesting it's removal and they agreed to it...

Misunderstanding on my part, just wasn't reading it correctly. :rolleyes

The above notwithstanding, and as I said before, it is not our 'right' to grill the mods / admin to explain (further) why a decision was taken.

Nope, wasn't try to grill anyone. Someone was hoping for more of an explanation, and maybe didn't quite realize one was given (like me), or perhaps wanted a response from Art specifically... MirrorminD got it, just wasn't my day for reading. :lol

Problem solved, sorry about being a pain in the... :lol

Slightly off topic but I see that Screenused are now conducting regular auctions.

At least these guys are genuine collectors and are approaching the auctions from a provenance perspective. Hopefully they can take a lot of the PiH business.

Joe

Like I said, that's not an answer for why is was DELETED... A thread 'getting out of hand' is locked, not deleted (based on past experience). And I had been reading the thread nearly up the point it disappeared, and it didn't seem to be 'getting out of hand'... Unless something happened in the last few hours of it's existence.

Rik1138,

I am not going to answer point by point since Alan did a pretty good job, as usual, stating our views in our absence.

At the end of the day, the work we do as staff is rarely cut and dried. I would love nothing more than to live in a binary world where everything neatly fell into one of two areas. It doesn't. Because it doesn't we have to make judgement calls. To the very best of our ability we try to be consistent in those judgement calls and to act in a manner that is relatively predictable in order to maintain a certain level of calm among the membership. You can believe, any time we deviate, even a bit from the norm, someone is going to call us on it. We are not robots and from time to time a certain situation "feels" like it needs to be handled in a way that is not what you might expect. Often that is because there are circumstances that are not public knowledge nor do we care to make them public knowledge. I know that means that our actions are sometimes not entirely clear or may seem somewhat inconsistent, but there is always a reason behind any action we take, even if we don't share that reason publicly.

Fortunately, over time, we have been able to build a relationship with the community in which most members have learned to trust us, even when we don't explain ourselves and sometimes, even when we take actions that they don't agree with on the surface. I hope, in time, you can do the same.

Rik1138,

I am not going to answer point by point since Alan did a pretty good job, as usual, stating our views in our absence.

Fortunately, over time, we have been able to build a relationship with the community in which most members have learned to trust us, even when we don't explain ourselves and sometimes, even when we take actions that they don't agree with on the surface. I hope, in time, you can do the same.

Hi Art,

Just wanted to state that I have no problems with the actions of the moderators of this board in any way. It was a complete mis-understanding on my part, I had mis-read what Montagar had originally posted about the thread removal, and that started the back-and-forth with me and Alan... :rolleyes

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back