profiles in history, another rip off?

It's definitely exactly the same helmet on eBay and on PiH.

attachment.php

If you compare the screen grabs, it really seems that they used those helmets in both movies. First picture is from the Monty Python movie and the second and third picture is from "Henry V".

attachment.php

O ..... M ....... G . :eek.

There are so many 'possibilities' here, I wouldn't know which one is 'better' or 'worse'.

They are both British films; so this helmet having been used in / rented from the same prop supplier / studio for, both films, is absolutely not impossible.

The only thing in question here is how PIH has sold it is as being from Monty Python, when it's last 'known' statement of provenance was on eBay, which said it was from Henry V.

Unless they can prove (and only screen-caps are going to cut it) that it was used on Monty Python, then IMO, PIH has alot of explaining to do.

I can only say one thing with absolute certainty - eBay seller whale1250_1 is banging his head against the wall at this moment if he knows about the situation.

Last edited:
All those props were rented for Python anyway. Odds are the they are all the same stuff.

The auction doesn't say "odds are" – it says "it is". Huuuuuge difference.

A claim this specific requires a screen match. Needless to say, that didn't happen.

Henry V needed dozens (maybe a hundred+?) but MP only needed a handful. Even if they came from the same rental place (not known), the odds are not great that a particular Henry helmet was also used in MP.

This is yet another Profiles fudging of the facts. I wouldn't believe them if they said the sky was blue. Unless they had a screen cap.

All I hear in my head now is, "i FART in your general direction!" LOL.

Fixed that for you...

But doesn't this mean that someone bought the helmet for a very CHEAP price, did research and sold it for more? Is that bad?

But did what research? You mean like thinking 'Hey, that looks kind of like the Monty Python helmets... I bet I could list it in PIH and make tons...'

Then, yeah, that's probably exactly what it means...

Considering that, as mentioned, there are likely 100 or more of these helmets made for/used in Henry V, and maybe a dozen in Python? How can you even speculate that it's used in Grail? Just because it looks similar? You basically have someone 'in the movie industry' guaranteeing it's a helmet from Henry V (why would he lie for $40...?), and someone else with a history of questionable sales claiming it's from a completely different film (why would he lie? Oh wait... $6500...).

Considering that the consignor has a history of listing shady things in PIH (anyone remember the Statue of Liberty from Planet of the Apes (er, I mean The Terminal) head fiasco?) and eBay (see Jason's blog), I doubt there was a lot of research involved...

I have to admit though, even if you knew it was from Holy Grail (but couldn't prove it was worn by one of the 4 French guards seen prominently in the film, Cleese in particular), would it really be worth $6500? For a possible background helmet? Or does including that photo of Cleese and the others suggest it's actually one of THOSE 3 helmets (the 4th being a different design, doesn't count). There's a British memorabilia site that has two of these helmets listed as being from the film for £1,400 each, and they seem to sell other stuff sanctioned by Cleese himself, so I'd trust those a little more than something bought off eBay... And at 1/4 the price (counting premium...) (Never heard of them before, so can't really speak for their authentication tho. But if you are going to take a shot-in-the-dark on a 'French helmet from Python', I'd rather do it for ~$2200 than $8000)

Oh, for F's sake - that thing? Dude, Give. It. Up. It ain't from "Apes". For the simple reason that the Statue of Liberty 'head' they built for "Apes" HAD NO FACE.

Period. Done.

God....... Go here - http://images.wikia.com/planetoftheapes/images/5/50/Scaffold.jpg

Gene

Uh, maybe you missed the significance of what I posted... It was a joke (that's why I said 'fiasco'...). PIH listed it as Planet of the Apes. The guy that _built_ it for The Terminal came forward to debunk that claim. He has pictures of it in the shop he worked under construction in 2003/2004. I _KNOW_ it's not from Apes... :cool That's been proved already...

My point was, the same person that consigned the Liberty head to PIH as a POTA prop is the same guy that bought the Henry V helmet off eBay and listed in PIH as a Python screen-used helmet...

See a pattern there?

I don't fell sorry for someone willing to pay 8000 USD for a prop helmet without provenance, just upon the claim by PIH that this is screenused :behave. He should know better.
It is however another example of PIH not verifying their representations in the catalogue, which is an issue.

Uh, maybe you missed the significance of what I posted... It was a joke ......

God, no, that wasn't directed at you, Rik....... I checked out Jason's page and he had a link to the Statue of Liberty head on some other site and the Hemstock guy (or whoever has the thing now) is still saying it may be associated with "Apes..." and offering a COA as such.

Gene

Unless they can prove (and only screen-caps are going to cut it) that it was used on Monty Python, then IMO, PIH has alot of explaining to do.
Alan, hundreds upon hundreds of props sold by PIH have been shown by experts to be not as advertised over the years, including several in the recent auction, many of which have sold for thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dollars. As far as I can see, Profiles does virtually zero provenance on their own to authenticate items. IT IS ALL ABOUT MAKING AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE BY DUPING WEALTHY FOOLS.

Alan, hundreds upon hundreds of props sold by PIH have been shown by experts to be not as advertised over the years, including several in the recent auction, many of which have sold for thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dollars. As far as I can see, Profiles does virtually zero provenance on their own to authenticate items. IT IS ALL ABOUT MAKING AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE BY DUPING WEALTHY FOOLS.

I understand your beef with PIH, and your correct about many items not being what they claim in hundreds of cases over the years. Your also correct that money drives PIH. However, to say that PIH does ZERO checking is not true. It's in PIH best interest in order to make money, to check items out, and get as much provenance as they can, and in many cases they fail, or ignore the facts? yes, this is true.

Although we will of course never find out, I cannot but wonder how many claims for refunds / lawsuits PIH has received from buyers, for having sold 'fakes' / misrepresented items to them.

I'll bet you the percentage is shockingly low.

I've been up to Profiles on a number of times helping with friends' consignments and on a couple of occasions I've noticed some props that have been incorrectly identified. Every time I've brought it up, they've responded. Never once have I seen the items I've disputed in an auction catalog. And, on one occasion, I had to field some calls from them as they were having trouble finding a frame grab for a particular item a friend was consigning. They were suspicious of the consignor's memory of the item and wound up pulling it since they couldn't find proof of what film it was from. (I later found out they were correct - the item wasn't from the the film the consignor remembered.)

Again, just my experience with them. Your mileage may vary.......

Gene

Although we will of course never find out, I cannot but wonder how many claims for refunds / lawsuits PIH has received from buyers, for having sold 'fakes' / misrepresented items to them.

I'll bet you the percentage is shockingly low.

Thats a really good question . Anyone remember the Rocky gloves they tried to pawn off last year ? That went over about as well as a fart in Church.
Stallone himself jumped all over it and forced Profiles to take them out of the auction.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back