Products that were not intended to be used in model making but work anyway

I'm something of a greeble hoarder---always looking for odd parts that look to lend themselves to starship kits.

Vape pen bits for nacelles and such (I don't vape).

A recent find at a dollar store is this LED TAPER CANDLE:
https://www.dollartree.com/luminess...MIhOvUgryl_wIVtDfUAR1EFQBDEAQYASABEgJ-QvD_BwE

It is the same width as a 1/1000 Enterprise nacelle but longer. Got one for a buck and change.

These are nice:

Notice not only the caps---but the lower in has an insert that the caps also fit---the insert for the pointed brush. Good for a nosecone that won't pierce flesh.

Last edited:
Good idea.

Back when I made aquariums (22+ years ago) I got all kinds of scrap acrylic that I used for making molds and props.
If you have a shop near by, raid the dumpster. ;)
Lol, when I was working at a filtration machine company a couple years ago, the boss decided to clear out anything we weren't using because it was taking up space in an already cramped shop. I don't have room for much more in my house, so I have about 7-8 pieces of still-wrapped 3x4' acrylic sheet, 4x5' cardboard sheets, and several sheets of perforated steel and aluminum sheet just sitting in the back of my minivan. :lol:

I'm surprised this thread has gone this long though without mentioning toothpaste tube caps. They're so useful for nozzles and tapered segments of any kind that need to have ribbing along them. Same goes for mouthwash caps, which are much bigger and could be used for rocket interstages or main booster nozzles. I have also been saving the caps from A&W root beer bottles because they're ribbed, but also have a neat little step under the ribbing around the top of the caps that would add some visual interest.

One of the procedures doctors use might be of use in models:

One possible way to prevent sag in models might be something like these knots---perhaps with some ship-in-a-bottle type engineering.

You might remember this toy that had string inside:

Nacelle droop? Just tighten knob.

That would probably take an engineering skillset as well as computer modeling---but I think Trek kits deserve it.

I have often wanted tabs and slots to have holes for a zip line that can tighten things us to allow the gaps to be filled with resin for super strength.

Liquid metal

Slinky robot

These make nice nacelles---look at the attachments when you get some--cool marker plastic

Other parts

Last edited:
Many of us know someone who has diabetes. Shown are BD Nano pen needles(needles removed). Lot of detail and many combos.

Attachments

• image0 (2).jpeg
    image0 (2).jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 72
  • image1 (2).jpeg
    image1 (2).jpeg
    940.7 KB · Views: 68
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 50
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
Drip trays

More

Saucer

BUNN or Curtis? have a part 202234-001 wedge lid or something but I can’t find it.

Nice

Tile tool

Last edited:
I was thinking both part of an engine block with things glued to the first.

Others as ramscoop intakes.

Something else that occurred to me--inspired by braille and Dymo-tape...

Might decals themselves have raised greeble type patterns in them?

Chemical gardens

Last edited:
The recycling world now has a way to remove those pesky labels

The newly invented adhesive, very similar to that used on commercial packaging tape, has a chemical additive known as thionolactone which makes up 0.25% of the composition. This additive allows the adhesive to be dissolved in the recycling process, something which was previously not possible.

3D printing news
New computational method facilitates the dense placement of objects inside a rigid container
Researchers create 3D printed, biodegradable, color-changing conductive material from cellulose

Large plastic disks

Lighting

Infinigen
"We expect that Infinigen will prove to be a useful resource not just for creating training data for computer vision, but also for augmented and virtual reality, game development, film-making, 3D printing, and content generation in general," Deng said.

For text

Plastic that counts

Last edited:
I may have mentioned this before--but has anyone made a nuclear pulse Orion using those spring loaded spiked meat tenderizers that look like pusher-plates?

Hey ThinkGeek!

No meat tenderizer - when I built my version of an Orion, I used Aldo Spadoni's art to do the Micheal, from the novel Footfall. Pournelle and Niven gave their approval to Aldo's rendition, so... I used a dollar-store light reflector as the 'pusher' plate, and misc plastic parts and junk to do the rest of the ship, scaled to use a MicroMachines Shuttle as one of it's attack ships.

Attachments

• michaelModel02.jpg
    michaelModel02.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 52
  • michaelModel03.jpg
    michaelModel03.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 49
  • michaelModel01.jpg
    michaelModel01.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 49
No meat tenderizer - when I built my version of an Orion, I used Aldo Spadoni's art to do the Micheal, from the novel Footfall. Pournelle and Niven gave their approval to Aldo's rendition, so... I used a dollar-store light reflector as the 'pusher' plate, and misc plastic parts and junk to do the rest of the ship, scaled to use a MicroMachines Shuttle as one of it's attack ships.
Looking good(y)(y)

Today at phys.org is an article about University of Florida's Brent Sumerlin and James B Young who found a better way to recycle polymers...for all of you in the toy biz.

Coffee stirrers make for great scale wood boards for scale structures.
20200425214503_IMG_8120-01-01.jpeg

I bought a box of 1000 of them on Amazon for less than ten bucks. After building the structure to the right in this shot with a bunch of them, the box still looks full. It's the best hobby value purchase I've ever made.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back