Problems with Pros-Aide?

TK-4140

Hey all,

some weeks ago I painted a sample latex piece and used Pros-Aide with my color to get it hold on the latex. The mixing and painting did work very well and I realy was sprised that this realy worked very well. Now after about 3 weeks I got back to my latexsample and now I have the problem that the painted sample is totaly sticky now. What happened that it is now sticky I realy don´t understand.

Are there different brands of Pros-Aide that there would be one that would not be sticky after some time?

Or did I made a mistake with the mixing as I used it 1:1 with my paints?

Any help would be much apriciated.

Greetings Guido

You can do a couple of things for the paint being sticky. (remember, that's why you used the Pros-Aide in the first place)

The thing most people do is seal it with Perma Wet. -I've read- you can also use talcum powder but the color will get lighter.

I recommend Perma Wet or the UK equivalent. MEANGENE83 uses a water based Polycrylic thinned with Isopropyl Alcohol. He says it smells and acts just like permawet...
http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?sh...c=23712&hl=

ProsAide is actually a brand name. The actual product is acrylic medical adhesive. True ProsAide already has latex in it. Being that it is an adhesive, it will dry tacky. You can seal it with an acrylic medium or powder it well. as I mentioned a few times on other threads, the best paint for latex is Rubber Cement paint. It bonds chemically to the latex.

The downside to rubber cement paint from what I have read is that is very toxic. How many have actually painted a full suit with rubber cement?

It is toxic, which is why we always wear a respirator while working with it. As long as you work with good ventilation, and wear a respirator, you will be fine. In all actuality, a lot of this stuff is toxic, spraying any paint top a degree is toxic because there is a cloud of it in the air, ultracal dust can be inhaled and trapped in your lungs. So, with all materials, proper safety should be observed.

Everything that has been mentioned is on the money.

If I was you I would mix up some Permawet with a dash of prosaide and spray that right onto the latex piece. The fact that the latex piece is still tacky is s GOOD thing! But the permawet with seal in all of that tack.

I have figured out a good method with plastidip similar to the clear coat process with permawet. If anyone is interested?

Gotta tell you I have had such horrible results with no tack Prosaide. Half the time I have used it, it just peeled right off. The adhesion was terrible. I gave up on it like 7 years ago. If I have to use Prosaide, I always go with the original. Beta Bond is pretty nice too. The Graftobian Pro Adhesive is alright.

prosaide has a new formula in their non tack ...honesty ..I always used regular prosaide for most application. Used some non tack recently to mix a pax up for a quicky make-up and it worked pretty well ..i was actually impressed . I like Beta-bond, but the Graftobian has yet to impress me from switching brands.

I used the Graftobian on a show where I did not have the luxury of choosing the materials. Not going to go into details. I have never bought it for any of my shows, but if it was all I could get, I would not complain too much. That said, I love Prosaide. Prosaide transfers are one of my new favorite things. As far as Betabond, you can't say enough good things about the stuff from PPI.

Sorry to ramble about that. I know the bulk of you guys are unfamiliar with some of these brands or products. For any of you left wondering, PPI makes specialty glues, removers, and paints, and they are of the highest quality. Prosaide transfers are a new type of prosthetic developed for Passion of the ******, and they basically work like a tattoo transfer.

tranfers are the new Vampires ..ha. We've actually recast most of our old casualty molds to set them up for prosaide tranfer. So easy to make and apply. great for thin pieces especially age and burn scar

Dude, they are so awesome. One of these days, I am gonna buy Tinsley a beer. And it stretches the material so far. Anyway, I could go on about this for hours but for the sanity of everyone on here, I will not.

I've read just about evey thread I could find on painting latex since I joined. It seems there is not a "best way" to do it. Everyone seems to have their favorites and there are pros and cons to all methods it seems. I just wish the materials were cheaper so that experimentation wasn't so much.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back