Printing LCARS on transparencies

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Sulla, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Sulla

Sulla Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I bought some transparency pages for Ink Jet printers (I have a 3210 All-in-one HP Photosmart.) I tried setting the printer settings for "other transperincies," "HP High Quality Transparency paper," and "Auto Select." All three times it turned out exactly the same... No mattert how long I left it to dry first.

[​IMG]

Here's what the package of the transperancies said:
    [​IMG]

2. bleyd

bleyd Sr Member

Maybe your print resolution too high? I'm not graphics expert but if it's bleeding that much that tells me too much ink. Any tips from the experts?

3. Rebo

Rebo Well-Known Member

Looking at it there is too much ink getting layed down, which is giving it time to drift. Give a try at doing a straight forward *draft* print on to a transparency.

Or use a hairdryer at a distance as its printing. :ninja

4. Sulla

Heheh... :$

"coated to accept color ink" I guess it was only coated on one side... Sorry about the blur. Unsteady hands. Here's the latest update:
    (held up in front of the desk lamp in front of the white wall...)
    [​IMG]

5. Neon Sentry

Neon Sentry Sr Member

How much do these sheets run? I'm getting the old Playmates TNG Tricorder in the mail in two days and want to make a new screen (well, new everything, I've not a clue as to what condition the decals are in, and I'm assuming they're inaccurate as hell)

BTW, where'd you get the LCARS pattern? It looks rather nice

6. Sulla

<div class='quotetop'>(Neon Sentry @ Jul 14 2006, 10:20 PM) [snapback]1281108[/snapback]</div>
    I bought these at a teachers supply store this afternoon for $8 per pack of 6. You can get similar at office supply stores in packs of 25-35 sheets for $35-$40. I went the cheaper, smaller quantity rout for my "test phase." Make sure you choose either ink jet or laser jet per your needs and some of the packages in office supply stores look like they are made for black an white only as well as some that seemed to be overhead-projector-write-on-with-sharpie-only transparencies, so be wary of that too.

As far as where I got my graphics from... I really hate to do this, but I did not make them and they were given to me on the promise that I would not distribute them.

Check out okudagrams.com for some great free LCARS graphics downloads, and join the forum there. You can get lots of help for creating your own at the forum or even comission some from other photo-shop savvy folks.

Also, there is an LCARS forum in the trek section of the ASAP forum "dewback wing" http://p082.ezboard.com/bpropreplicas

Also, thanks to Rebo and bleyd for their advice. I appreciate all your help.

7. Neon Sentry

Neon Sentry Sr Member

No problem, if you promised something like that you have to honor it. I'd probably use mine for custom applications anyway, so I'd have to alter them at the very least

Hm... I think I'll pick up some of those sheets. I'm sure they have applications beyond LCARS screens :D

8. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Sulla @ Jul 14 2006, 10:55 PM) [snapback]1281124[/snapback]</div>
    Signed up for the forum there. The tutorials are quite interesting. Now if I can just improve my skills in illustrator.

:rolleyes

9. WookieeGunner

WookieeGunner Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Sulla @ Jul 14 2006, 09:16 PM) [snapback]1281106[/snapback]</div>

Generally. Most transparencies will have a smooth side and a rough side. You print on the rough side.

10. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Sr Member

Yeah, I made that mistake once, too (printing on the wrong side). Printed it out, then picked it up and watched the ink just drip off.