Princess Zelda Wizard - Cosplay Build

LucaLouise

For a local convention here in The Netherlands, AbunaiCon 2017, I decided to create new costume for Saturday 25 August as I'm invited as a guest to host a lecture about working with worbla and different techniques. I found this beautiful Zelda/Diablo Wizard crossover by Zach Fischer Illustrations and decided I wanted to make it.

View attachment 749403
The only problem? I have one month to make it. And given that a full armorset normally takes me about three to six months, I'm in con crunch mode ever since I came back from vacation which was 14 July.

Design wise, I altered some things not only to make it easier to wear, but also because time restriction. I omitted the ''wing blades'', the hip piece, if I have enough time left I'll make the shoes as well. I'm also not making the staff for this convention or the scroll fabric for the belt. I left out the gradiënt in the skirt and the stockings. With that said, here's some progress!

View attachment 749414
The breastplate started as a simple basic breastplate. I made the patterns by using paper and for the cup pattern I traced a bra cup. I don't use the sandwich method unless you also see the inside on your finished armor. The details were made by using worbla scraps, rolling them into snakes, and after adding vaseline inside a Tri-Bead roller I pushed the hot worbla in. Voila, 3D edges! This saved me some painful fingers, but I still had to sculpt all the hot worbla in the right shapes. This breastplate took four days if you count in all the hours I worked on it. I also had to take too many breaks from sore fingers...

View attachment 749415View attachment 749416View attachment 749417
My god the pauldrons were so annoying to get the shape right ughhh. I used paper patterns first to mock-up the shape and size, then transferred those to worbla and foam and stuck them together. Seems easy, until you actually get to do it. I was left with all those annoying seams, so I filled them with acrylic sealant and smoothed the residue with my Dremel.

View attachment 749421
Those got detailed as well, same method, same painful fingers. Not done yet!

View attachment 749423
The shin pieces were made with 2 mm foam and 10 mm foam dremeled into shape, before covering them with worbla.

View attachment 749424

The knee pieces were also done with sculpted details, such a pain in the ass... I also resin casted some gems already but those need to harden before I take them out.

Well, that concludes the first part! I'll keep you all updated and if you have any questions you can reach me here, or on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lucacosplayy/

Some progress on the tabard, as I burnt my hands while working with worbla and as a result I now have two huge blisters on either hand. Ugh.

20638252_2147480658812262_5186550657936425884_n.jpg20663608_2147480625478932_3980272807479620392_n.jpg
I first drew out the template in Adobe Illustrator by using Zelda's official model from Twilight Princess. I then scaled it, printed and taped it together. After that I cut out all the to-be stencilled details with a hobby knife. It took so long but it was worth it! I plan on painting the tabbard with fabric paint after I use some interfacing to make it stiff.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back