Pressure Casting-Grizzly Paint Pot Conversion

Cheers dday .. it seems they're still too small for me!

Shame though .. not sure what my options are for a mold that is 14" x 6" x 4" approx. I'm still very green on all of this but learning! ;)

Sorry for the late reply, but as others have said it's nowhere near 14in. There are casting pots that tall, but you're looking at hundreds of dollars there.

Good to know about the mixer on the 5 gallon pot, I didn't know what would be involved with that.

If you speaking about Operating Pressure ...................20–30 PSI
That is how much air it takes to make it spray when used. It says the tank will hold a max of 50, most times 40 to 44 psi is all you need to cast with. If you have weak spots or air pockets
under the skin of the rtv that you do not see, the more the psi the more you likely to have them collapse on you. I have 5 pots, from 2 1/2 to 40 gallons and 40 to 44 is really all you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
As the other say, there are bigger ones :D

You just have to be willing to shell out big $$$ I think the 40 gal ones are big enough but run in the 700-800 range.

To be honest, the 2 big ones I have, my 30 and 40 were cheaper then my two 2 1/2 and my 5. The 30, a Brinks that weights in at 125 and was a ebay find some years ago. It started at 19 bucks. Yes I said 19 bucks, but was a pick up only. The guy was only 2 hours from the house, and I was the only bidder. Road trip :)

The 40 plus gallon is or was a autoclave from a bankrupt hospital and weights in at 298 lbs and I got it for 99 bucks, it also was a pick up only. It was on the east cost about 15 miles from a friends house. He picked it up for me, gave it to another friend who I picked it up from. Long way to get it, but worth it. It looks like a torpedo tube with the spin lock door.

On both, I was the only bidder. I also picked up my 4 cyc

Hey there Robn1,

I saw your post and tried to do what you did, but I made a mistake and bought the wrong pot. It has an automixer on top. Can I do the same thing with this you think? Or should I try and return it?

photo (1).JPG

Robn, I have come across your post a while back. I have purchased a grizzly 5 gallon paint pot and would like to convert for casting. I live in Reston VA, not far from Woodbridge. I know that I could figure the conversion out on my own with enough time, but since you have done this before, I wanted to ask for your help to be on the safe side. I would be willing to pay you for your time in helping me convert my painting pot into a pressure pot. Please let me know if this is something that you would be up for, I would bring my paint pot out to you. Thank you for your time and consideration in advance.

Robn, I have come across your post a while back. I have purchased a grizzly 5 gallon paint pot and would like to convert for casting. I live in Reston VA, not far from Woodbridge. I know that I could figure the conversion out on my own with enough time, but since you have done this before, I wanted to ask for your help to be on the safe side. I would be willing to pay you for your time in helping me convert my painting pot into a pressure pot. Please let me know if this is something that you would be up for, I would bring my paint pot out to you. Thank you for your time and consideration in advance.

I'm pretty busy right now so I can't help much, but I can talk you through it here. You have the 5 gallon pot, mine is the 2.5 so it's a bit different. Follow Bigturc's thread on his 5 gallon conversion. With either pot it only takes about $20 worth of parts.

this thing cost me all and all about 90$ usd. That's 127$ shipped to my home. It's ridiculous and I always use it! Now if those damn Volvo panels could fit in there .. I would be one happy camper .. scratch that, caster! :)

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and new to casting with pressure pots. I ran into this thread while trying to find information on how to convert my pressure pot from a paint pot to a pot that will allow me to cast resin molds. My pot is a California air tools 5 gallon paint pressure pot.
http://www.californiaairtools.com/air-tools-accessories/pressure-pots/365b-5-gal-pressure-pot/
I could maybe take actual photos of my pot to show as well.
Does anyone know maybe the best steps to take on converting this pot? Or is it similar to the Grizzly pot conversion on this thread? I'm new to casting and would greatly appreciate any kind of advice. Thank you all in advance!

If you need BIG pots, try and find old ones made by the Pressed Steel Tank Company. The company shuttered its US factory years ago and no longer makes pressure tanks. They make gas bottles in some other country now.

Their pressure tanks have big lids and 6 or 8 clamps. One I have has a data plate on it rating it to 110 PSI at 650F. A piddly little 60 PSI is nothing to it.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back