Predator Spears Working New Stuff In Action Post #53

"alphatech686"
I appreciate you tagging me into the build. You're doing most of the leg work. If I was to put one together, it would be some time since I have other projects in the works. I appreciate you taking a lead on this project. It would be nice to get this out to the Lair for everyone. Maybe we can call it the APE-Predtaor Spear (Alphatech686/PredatorRay31/Eaglewood) I'm not trying to go over "Eaglewood" either. I know he contributed a lot to the ideas also, and create a great prototype of his idea. I just thought it makes a good acryonym name. But I think we all contributed ideas to coming up with a great idea, that will work.

If you get a catalog and order parts, let me know what company and all the parts you order. Hopefully they have an online catalog. The only thng I can't find is the I want to eventually make one myself. I also like the pictures of what you had made. With your build skills and all the input, I really think this thing can come together.
I propose we create a new topic and call it Project: APE Predator Spear. I can repost the images and we can get ideas and feedback from each other and members on this specific project. Let me know if you want to do this.

I'm excited about this. Because if it works, it can provide an awesome prop that adds realism. I also like the use of angle drive. I have been thinking and Makita makes a right angle, rechargable screw driver. If it has enough power, it may work. I'll do some hunting for a good 90 degree angled screwdriver with some power. I'm also trying to keep this at a decent budget so anyone can make one or have one built.

I thank everyone for all their input.

"alphatech686"
I appreciate you tagging me into the build. You're doing most of the leg work. If I was to put one together, it would be some time since I have other projects in the works. I appreciate you taking a lead on this project. It would be nice to get this out to the Lair for everyone. Maybe we can call it the APE-Predtaor Spear (Alphatech686/PredatorRay31/Eaglewood) I'm not trying to go over "Eaglewood" either. I know he contributed a lot to the ideas also, and create a great prototype of his idea. I just thought it makes a good acryonym name. But I think we all contributed ideas to coming up with a great idea, that will work.

If you get a catalog and order parts, let me know what company and all the parts you order. Hopefully they have an online catalog. The only thng I can't find is the I want to eventually make one myself. I also like the pictures of what you had made. With your build skills and all the input, I really think this thing can come together.
I propose we create a new topic and call it Project: APE Predator Spear. I can repost the images and we can get ideas and feedback from each other and members on this specific project. Let me know if you want to do this.

I'm excited about this. Because if it works, it can provide a awesome prop that adds realism.

I thank everyone for all their input.

All sounds good. After waking up at 3 this morning and going over all of this in my mind for an hour I decided to change directions again. The company that has the racks and gears is called Boston Gear. The 4 foot racks are about 30 bucks a piece. To get a spear that had decent extension, like 2 feet on each side you would need a main body to be 4 feet. Which isn't horrible. I decide to play with the (2 power antenna's) idea. I've had some good brainstorming on this today. I figured the mechanism I'm using is about 3 inches wide and the antenna's main body is 2.5 inches wide, I'm already ahead on keeping the main body as sleek as possible. When I get a few things put together I will post. Like the one I just shelved I have no idea what will work and what won't. Time will tell.

By the way I had my dad give me the measurements of the 12 tooth gear with the racks on each side and the total would be right at an inch. This means that the smallest tube would have to be just over that. So, let's keep this going.

To get more for your money, (and if the racks with teeth are plastic) you can use a table saw to cut it in half. Now you have two racks (just barely under half an inch), 4 feet each. As long as the Rail guides are not too tight and the plastic is strong enough, it will be able to extend/retract many-many times before the teeth get too worn and start slipping.

If it's metal, you would have to pay a metal shop to cut it in half, but it can be done. Great stuff. I'll look for Boston Gear.

Guys. This is great!! Im totally ok with the acronym too.
If we need any machining done, let me know as I have access to lots of people that can do this for us.
Im working on my aluminum tubing that nests right inside of each other as well. I want to be sure of the mechanism befor I go too crazy drlling and getting any fabricating done.
Alpha, let me know if ou need any $$$ and I will be glad to contribute.
Im going to keep playing with some of the other designs as well, maybe somethng will fall into place there.
So lets keep rocking here for sure.
Im totally on board.
There is a Boston Gear distributor not too far from me so I may stop by there and pick their brains a bit also.

Well, I found a company that sells nylon rack by the foot only, for $3.24 a foot. I'm going to buy 6 feet (just to be on the safe side). That's cheap enough I can get it now. That leaves 3 feet retraction and expansion on each side, even though I might not use that much. Not bad I think. The company is: SDP/SI. I attached a link directly to the rack. Now all I need is a good nylon gear, a good, powerful right angle driven screwdriver (or motor and battery) and I'm in business. Enjoy.

I feel stupid. I alrady placed my order and they also sell plastics gears--duh. They also sell extension and compression springs------and spring return pulleys----I think this place is an awesome find and it's in NY not in china or japan where I'd have to wait weeks to get my stuff--YEAH!

Link:Plastic Racks.

Well, I found a company that sells nylon rack by the foot only, for $3.24 a foot. I'm going to buy 6 feet (just to be on the safe side). That's cheap enough I can get it now. That leaves 3 feet retraction and expansion on each side, even though I might not use that much. Not bad I think. The company is: SDP/SI. I attached a link directly to the rack. Now all I need is a good nylon gear, a good, powerful right angle driven screwdriver (or motor and battery) and I'm in business. Enjoy.

I have a couple of motors and a battery that work awesome so far. Just didnt have the gearing or such down.
Hope to be able to work on it more in the next few days.
Lets keep bouncing ideas around

I'm on the road for 2 weeks for work, so It will be some time for me. But I would love for everything to be sitting there for me when I get home.

Also, here is some pictures of the PVC spear I made. You flick it and the ends slide out.

Pred_Spear_1.jpg

Pred_Spear_2.jpg

I'm on the road for 2 weeks for work, so It will be some time for me. But I would love for everyhting to be sitting there for me when I get home.

On another note. I may have a neat idea to make Predator Armor. I am using some of the Pepakura layouts then applying them to a soft plastic trashcan, then cutting them out. I'm not sure how to put it all together as I can not use the tabs like the paper versions would. I may make them out of foamies and just paint them. But I'm serously loving this Pepakura program as it show what it looks lika and prints it out on printer paper and you cut it out to build a 1:1 size 3D paper prop.

Would foamies hold up? Let me do one and post a pic later on.

Also, here is some pictures of the PVC spear I made. You flick it and the ends slide out.
Spear is cool. Lets please stay on track here with the spears. Dont want to start mixing this thread up so no one can find what they are looking for.
Check the other threads for armor builds.
Thanks

I feel stupid. I alrady placed my order and they also sell plastics gears--duh. They also sell extension and compression springs------and spring return pulleys----I think this place is an awesome find and it's in NY not in china or japan where I'd have to wait weeks to get my stuff--YEAH!

Hey dude I believe to get 3 feet on each side you would have to use 2 six foot lenghts, one for each end, which would mean the main body of the spear would have to be 6 feet. A 3 foot section of rack would yield 1.5 feet of extention/retraction.

Wow,
Really, you loose that much lateral movement. I wouldn't expect exactly 3 feet of lateral movement--but to loose half??? Even so, It still is fine by me. 1.5 feet on each side plus a 3 foot middle piece equal about 6 foot expanded length which is great. As long as it's about 4 foot when retracted, then it should look good.

I would think you loose the distance of overlap of each pipe then the distance from where the gear engages the rack when it is fully retracted to where the rack is connected to the smallest pipe. HMMM-maybe it is half. I won't know until I start the build. If so, I'll confitm it.

I'm going to start on it when I finish the Predator costume I'm buidling. Then I'll go back and start on making a fully functional spear.

OK-- I just had a conversation with a guy (engineer) who gave me a totally new idea. I cant divulge it just yet until we look at it some more, but if this works----- and NO electronics involved.

Just sayin--- hold on hunters-- will be back with you when I can!

No electronics......and retract/expand.......would be the best. No batteries to replace or recharge. I'm real interested in this. Pleas keep us posted "eaglewood."

Too bad I already purchased the plastic rack, but I'm sure I can use it for othe projects. I hope it works out and can be created.

I wold say that we just keep on trying the techniques we have started on. Im sure there will always be new ideas cropping up that may or may not work or take us other directions.
I dont want to throw this one out there just yet until I do some more research on it.

Eaglewood, I love this idea. I need a few dollars to play with, but I found Shurline's here in town and I can't wait to give something similar a go. Thanks a lot for this one.

And I can't wait to see what you and the fellas come up with for a more technical joint design.

Cheers man, thanks again.

I have been pretty consumed with the Arnold stuff as of late, but am going to be getting back to the spears after that is all done and ove with. I am working on the tip for my shurline one as we speak also in between other stuff. Ill be back in full swing soon.

Here are a couple of shots of the spear tip--Now im going to start on the painting and final touches!!

Here are some more pics-- trying to get a little done here and there. Still have to darken up the leather on the handle.

Works pretty cool too

Lookin sweet man. I'm still so in love with the concept. I can't wait to start playing around with my own.

I know you've been busy with your Arnold Expo, but have you had a chance to try etching into the metal extension rods? I think it is a cool idea and would love to see if you can make it work for you.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back