Predator Backpack Greeblies - Need help with new part!

Re: Predator Backpack Greeblies - 24 Parts Need to be IDed

I am wondering if #14 is the dashboard from the same model as #23.

Yeah, I'm sorry I couldn't give you a maker or scale for the Destroid, but they're old kits, and might be out of production... Sorry.

According to my Google-Kung-Fu:

Bandai, Imai & Arii have all issued the Destroids in 1/100, since 1982.

I'm working an angle :)

More info soon :)

Fred, I am not a model quy, but looking at similar models, I almost have to think this is even larger than 1/24 due to the detail and size on the backpack.... I could post a more full photo of the pack if it would help. I agree thought. Definitely half of a cylinder from a radial engine.

In looking a bit further, I think this is a "dummy engine" cylinder put on RC planes between the real engine and the propeller to make it look like the plane has an engine. These seem to come in sizes between 1/12th and 1/4 scale which is more inline with the size I am thinking... but I could be wrong.

Yeah, the scale was a guess, since I have no idea how large it is, in comparison to the rest of the backpack. I just know that there was too much detail to be 1/48, and even 1/32.

I don't think #14 is an IP from an R/C plane. This panel has more knobs, switches and buttons. An airplane's IP would be mostly dials and guages, just to get the feel of a real cockpit. Plus, those R/C cockpits are pretty bare, especially those from around the time the props from predator were being made. Most people would dress up their own cockpits, but those would be one-offs. Even today, fancy cockpit dressing is the realm of aftermarket stuff.

It could be something more sci-fi-ish. Is there any cockpit detail in that falcon kit, they used?

-Fred

Art,

One of the found parts on the detonation gauntlet is from the Orguss Nikick model kit.

Which raises the possibility that that was a donor for other costume parts as well.

And south of part 4, there is something that looks like a kit part. I want to say it's a Macross Valkyrie 'foot.'

-MJ

Based on previous scaling by a member at the Hunter's Lair, they believe the cylinder is about 1" which according to Williams Brothers models would make the cylinder 1/12th scale. Again, just a guess, but I think we are getting closer.

Already looked at the Facoln to see if that was the IP... didn't look like it to me, but I think you are right... Not an airplane IP.

Yeah, the scale was a guess, since I have no idea how large it is, in comparison to the rest of the backpack. I just know that there was too much detail to be 1/48, and even 1/32.

I don't think #14 is an IP from an R/C plane. This panel has more knobs, switches and buttons. An airplane's IP would be mostly dials and guages, just to get the feel of a real cockpit. Plus, those R/C cockpits are pretty bare, especially those from around the time the props from predator were being made. Most people would dress up their own cockpits, but those would be one-offs. Even today, fancy cockpit dressing is the realm of aftermarket stuff.

It could be something more sci-fi-ish. Is there any cockpit detail in that falcon kit, they used?

-Fred

Checking both out now.

Art,

One of the found parts on the detonation gauntlet is from the Orguss Nikick model kit.

Which raises the possibility that that was a donor for other costume parts as well.

And south of part 4, there is something that looks like a kit part. I want to say it's a Macross Valkyrie 'foot.'

-MJ

#17 - Destroid Defender 'gun arm' part.

I haven't posted up pics of the actual cannon, but there are a TON of the Defender parts on the cannon!!! Thanks for pointing this one out. I am heavily leaning toward the 1/100 scale from Arii.

Orguss Nikick image attached.

This is the part here, circled in red. It's behind the knee area.

I had this kit in high school. Don't recall the scale or mfr. Sorry.

There are also some 1/35 jerrycans (in racks / holders / stowage equipment mounts / whatever) on the interior of the gauntlet.

-MJ

#24 is a hip armor flap from a Votoms Scopedog (or Brutishdog, or similar model). No idea what scale or mfr, though. You would need a real good look at the kit parts to be sure. Sorry.

MJ

#24 is a hip armor flap from a Votoms Scopedog (or Brutishdog, or similar model). No idea what scale or mfr, though. You would need a real good look at the kit parts to be sure. Sorry.

MJ

Looks like Part #4 is also off the Brutishdog!!! We may not be nailing down the exact scale of mfgr yet, but I would have NEVER gotten these without your help!!!

Part #22 is also from the Brutishdog. It is a small detail piece in the back of the helmet. One of the little parts of it are broken off on the Predator backpack.

View attachment 92625

Here's a couple of pics I had already posted over at the Lair.

gallery_10275_196_339650.jpg

gallery_10275_196_335315.jpg

med_gallery_10275_196_55330.jpg

I started the thread over at the lair due ot a desire to update my backpack for my P1 display, currently in progress http://www.therpf.com/f9/lifesize-predator-display-wip-120662/

I had actually planned on posting a thread over here to see if any of the model guys could help ID more pack parts, but Art beat me to it. Thanks, Art. This has moved things a long way in my accurizing my Pred display!

Oh, and 10 and 12 are obviously from some sort of jeep or car. If we determine what make, chances are some of the other parts will fall into place. Thanks everyone for all the help provided so far!

Been looking more and there is no question at all that the part below #4 (which I am now calling part #5 since I skipped 5) is indeed a foot from the Valkrie. The only question is the scale.

I am thinking 1:72. I think I will pick one up and use it against the scopedog foot to determine the correct size.

Oh, and 10 and 12 are obviously from some sort of jeep or car. If we determine what make, chances are some of the other parts will fall into place. Thanks everyone for all the help provided so far!

I think they may be from either a big rig, or a military vehicle. But that's just based on the 8-lug configuration. Most civilian vehicles have between 4 and 6; 5 being the most common, 4 being on smaller cars, 6 being used on larger SUVs. I've seen plenty of models of howitzers and AA guns with 8-lug rims. Just nothing with the correct tread pattern, yet.

Part #13 seems to be made up of 2 different parts. There's the outside, circular part, with the bolt detail and something that looks like a hose feeding into it. Could be some kind of cooling unit or gear box.

The inside part looks like it may have been chopped in half, to fit inside the other part. The large cyclindrical shapes, on the outsides, look like they would be pivot points for something that raises and lowers, kind of like a missle rack on a SAM launcher. The two tubular shapes that sit on top, looks like one end is in a pivoting bracket, of their own - kind of like the lower mounting bracket for a strut or shock absorber. The little dome-shaped cross bettwen those two, reminds me of a military gas cap, that I've seen on some tank kits.

-Fred

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back