Predator Backpack Greeblies - Need help with new part!

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Art Andrews, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

So the guys over at the Hunter's Lair have been doing some very cool work IDing parts on the P1 Predator Backpack and finding that several are from Star Wars MPC Model kits, specifically the Falcon and the AT-ST.

You can see their progress here:

Predator 1 Backpack Found Parts! - Predator Weapons & Armor - The Hunter's Lair

I had the opportunity and privileged to photograph the original pack Prop Store had at Comic Con last year and got some decent shots of the details and greeblies on the pack, which may or may not be model kit pieces.

I have seen you guys do a phenomenal job IDing extremely obscure parts before, so I wanted to see if you could take a crack at this and see how many of the 24 unidentified parts you could help us find.

Some of the part show up in multiple pictures or places, so that is why you see several labelled more than once.

So, lets see what we can do and how fast these can be IDed.

Parts:

These are our best guesses and may not be exact matches. I plan to buy these kits and determine whether or not they are the exact part.

2. Not sure this is actually a model piece...
    3. AMT / MPC / ERTL - Item# 38273 / 8917 / 8789 - 1:72 Millennium Falcon - Part 55/56 Landing Pad Foot
    4. Takara/Tomy 1:24 Brutishdog - Foot
    5. Imai - Item#?? - 1:72 Scale - Battroid Valkyrie Kit
    6. Tamiya - Item #35132 - 1:35 Scale - U.S. M2 Bradley IFV Kit - Part D23 - Pack hanging on inside wall
    8. Tamiya - Item #35132 - 1:35 Scale - U.S. M2 Bradley IFV Kit - Part B57 - Tow Launcher Front
    9. Tamiya - Item #35132 - 1:35 Scale - U.S. M2 Bradley IFV Kit - Part B60 - Tow Launcher Rear
    11. Tamiya - Item #35132 - 1:35 Scale - U.S. M2 Bradley IFV Kit -Part A48/A49 - Port
    13. Revell - Item #8881 - 1:12 Scale - Wright Cyclone Engine - Part 40 - Fuel Intake Pipes
    14. Italaeri / Esci / AMT - Item # 2990 / ??? / 8693 - 1:12 Scale - Force One General Dynamics F-16 Cockpit - Part ???
    15. Revell - Item #8881 - 1:12 Scale - Wright Cyclone Engine - Part 43 - Supercharger Rear Cover
    16. Tamiya - Item #35132 - 1:35 Scale - U.S. M2 Bradley IFV Kit -Part D42 - TOW Missle Tops
    17. Arii - Item #AR-302-300 - 1:100 Scale - Macross Destroid Defender - Part 7/8 - upper arm/gun arm
    18. Imai / Bandai - Item # 0153435 - 1:100 Scale - Attack Tomahawk - Part 2/4 - foream/gun arm
    19. Fujimi - Item #76005 - 1:76 Scale - Elephant German Heavy Tank Destroyer - Part 49 & 50 - Cannon Breech halves
    20. Arii - Item #?? - 1:72 Scale - VF-1J/1A/1S Armored Valkyrie - Missile Pack
    21. AMT / MPC / ERTL - Item# 38273 / 8917 / 8789 - 1:72 Millennium Falcon - Part ???
    22. Takara/Tomy 1:24 Brutishdog - Back of Inner Helmet Detail
    23. Revell - Item #8881 - 1:12 Scale - Wright Cyclone Engine - Part 2-9 - Rear Cylinder Half
    24. Takara/Tomy 1:24 Brutishdog - Hip armor flap

Used but not listed:

AMT / MPC - Item# 38302 / 8734 - AT-ST
    AMT / MPC / ERTL - Item# 38273 / 8917 / 8789 - 1:72 Millennium Falcon - Part 66 - Large Panel on bottom of hull
    AMT / MPC / ERTL - Item# 38273 / 8917 / 8789 - 1:72 Millennium Falcon - Part 43 - Quad cannon turret plating

2. Art Andrews

Re: Predator Backpack Greeblies - 24 Parts Need to be IDed

Landing gear foot from the MPC Falcon model is part #3.

View attachment 92371

3. Art Andrews

Part #21 is one of the recessed detail areas on MPC Falcon

View attachment 92372

4. Damocles

Damocles Active Member

8-9,11,16 Tamiya M2 Bradley

5. Art Andrews

GOOD CALL! 8 and 9 are the front and back from the TOW Launcher on the Tamaiya M2 Bradley.

View attachment 92455

6. Damocles

Damocles Active Member

Thanks haha! I spent long enough living in a Bradley that I'd recognize those model parts anywhere!

7. Art Andrews

And here is part #11, just as you said, off the M2 Bradley.

View attachment 92469

8. Art Andrews

And here is part #6 from the Tamiya M2 Bradley...

View attachment 92470

9. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Nothing definite.

6 - an old tank part? [oops IDed while thinking]
    20- part of a engine.
    23- air cooled engine cylinder, one half.

It looks like they pushed some details into soft clay or something.

10. Art Andrews

I was thinking #20 was flare launcher tubes on a tank or something.

11. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

Anyone have a tamiya M247 Stg York? I think that part in the middle of #13 is from that kit. Only scans i have are blurry.

12. Art Andrews

Here are pics of the Sgt York. Not seeing anything matching #13. :(

Flevo Aviation Hobby

13. terryr

terryr Sr Member

#20 to me looks like eight carbs or air cleaner hats.

I never realized the backpack was so detailed.

14. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

#18 - Destroid Tomahawk 'gun arm' , which suggests the possibility of other Destroid Tomahawk parts as well...

15. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Number 1 is a collection of parts from a car, don't know which one. There's a strut assembly, the flywheel, disc brakes and what looks to be a master cylinder.

-Fred

16. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Number 23 looks to be a cylinder from a radial engine. Based on the detail, probably a 1/24 scale kit.

-Fred

17. Art Andrews

Thanks for the tips and keep them coming! I am off to research your suggestions!

18. Art Andrews

Good call! I haven't foudn the exact manufacturer, but here is the 1:60th Yamato Macross Destroid Tomahawk, and there is no doubt, it is the right piece, just not the right manufacturer. I am going to keep looking.

PS. Apparently the Destroid Tomahawk is also known as the MechWarrior/Battletech Warhammer.

View attachment 92554

19. Art Andrews

I probably need to see if I have a better pic of #19, but I think it is two halves of the same part, set side by side.

20. Art Andrews

Fred, I am not a model quy, but looking at similar models, I almost have to think this is even larger than 1/24 due to the detail and size on the backpack.... I could post a more full photo of the pack if it would help. I agree thought. Definitely half of a cylinder from a radial engine.

In looking a bit further, I think this is a "dummy engine" cylinder put on RC planes between the real engine and the propeller to make it look like the plane has an engine. These seem to come in sizes between 1/12th and 1/4 scale which is more inline with the size I am thinking... but I could be wrong.

21. Art Andrews

I am wondering if #14 is the dashboard from the same model as #23.

22. Mike J.

Yeah, I'm sorry I couldn't give you a maker or scale for the Destroid, but they're old kits, and might be out of production... Sorry.

23. Mike J.

According to my Google-Kung-Fu:

Bandai, Imai & Arii have all issued the Destroids in 1/100, since 1982.

I'm working an angle :)

More info soon :)

24. terryr

terryr Sr Member

You might be right. I was thinking WW1 airplane for 23, but it might be a RC plane.

25. Mike J.

#17 - Destroid Defender 'gun arm' part.

26. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Yeah, the scale was a guess, since I have no idea how large it is, in comparison to the rest of the backpack. I just know that there was too much detail to be 1/48, and even 1/32.

I don't think #14 is an IP from an R/C plane. This panel has more knobs, switches and buttons. An airplane's IP would be mostly dials and guages, just to get the feel of a real cockpit. Plus, those R/C cockpits are pretty bare, especially those from around the time the props from predator were being made. Most people would dress up their own cockpits, but those would be one-offs. Even today, fancy cockpit dressing is the realm of aftermarket stuff.

It could be something more sci-fi-ish. Is there any cockpit detail in that falcon kit, they used?

-Fred

27. Mike J.

Art,

One of the found parts on the detonation gauntlet is from the Orguss Nikick model kit.

Which raises the possibility that that was a donor for other costume parts as well.

And south of part 4, there is something that looks like a kit part. I want to say it's a Macross Valkyrie 'foot.'

-MJ

28. Art Andrews

Ooohhh!! Good call! I'll bet if we can find what maker this one was specifically from it will help with the other one as well!

29. Art Andrews

Based on previous scaling by a member at the Hunter's Lair, they believe the cylinder is about 1" which according to Williams Brothers models would make the cylinder 1/12th scale. Again, just a guess, but I think we are getting closer.

Already looked at the Facoln to see if that was the IP... didn't look like it to me, but I think you are right... Not an airplane IP.

30. Art Andrews

Checking both out now.

31. Art Andrews

I haven't posted up pics of the actual cannon, but there are a TON of the Defender parts on the cannon!!! Thanks for pointing this one out. I am heavily leaning toward the 1/100 scale from Arii.

32. Mike J.

Orguss Nikick image attached.

This is the part here, circled in red. It's behind the knee area.

I had this kit in high school. Don't recall the scale or mfr. Sorry.

There are also some 1/35 jerrycans (in racks / holders / stowage equipment mounts / whatever) on the interior of the gauntlet.

-MJ

33. Mike J.

#24 is a hip armor flap from a Votoms Scopedog (or Brutishdog, or similar model). No idea what scale or mfr, though. You would need a real good look at the kit parts to be sure. Sorry.

MJ

34. Art Andrews

Looks like Part #4 is also off the Brutishdog!!! We may not be nailing down the exact scale of mfgr yet, but I would have NEVER gotten these without your help!!!

35. Art Andrews

Brutishdog foot. Not exact, but clearly this is what it is... just need to find the exact one.

View attachment 92619

Edit: Nevermind... here is the right piece.

View attachment 92620

36. Art Andrews

Part #22 is also from the Brutishdog. It is a small detail piece in the back of the helmet. One of the little parts of it are broken off on the Predator backpack.

View attachment 92625

37. Slave1

Slave1 Sr Member

Here's a couple of pics I had already posted over at the Lair.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started the thread over at the lair due ot a desire to update my backpack for my P1 display, currently in progress http://www.therpf.com/f9/lifesize-predator-display-wip-120662/

I had actually planned on posting a thread over here to see if any of the model guys could help ID more pack parts, but Art beat me to it. Thanks, Art. This has moved things a long way in my accurizing my Pred display!

38. Slave1

Slave1 Sr Member

Oh, and 10 and 12 are obviously from some sort of jeep or car. If we determine what make, chances are some of the other parts will fall into place. Thanks everyone for all the help provided so far!

39. Art Andrews

Been looking more and there is no question at all that the part below #4 (which I am now calling part #5 since I skipped 5) is indeed a foot from the Valkrie. The only question is the scale.

I am thinking 1:72. I think I will pick one up and use it against the scopedog foot to determine the correct size.

40. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

I think they may be from either a big rig, or a military vehicle. But that's just based on the 8-lug configuration. Most civilian vehicles have between 4 and 6; 5 being the most common, 4 being on smaller cars, 6 being used on larger SUVs. I've seen plenty of models of howitzers and AA guns with 8-lug rims. Just nothing with the correct tread pattern, yet.

Part #13 seems to be made up of 2 different parts. There's the outside, circular part, with the bolt detail and something that looks like a hose feeding into it. Could be some kind of cooling unit or gear box.

The inside part looks like it may have been chopped in half, to fit inside the other part. The large cyclindrical shapes, on the outsides, look like they would be pivot points for something that raises and lowers, kind of like a missle rack on a SAM launcher. The two tubular shapes that sit on top, looks like one end is in a pivoting bracket, of their own - kind of like the lower mounting bracket for a strut or shock absorber. The little dome-shaped cross bettwen those two, reminds me of a military gas cap, that I've seen on some tank kits.

-Fred

41. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

This is a VERY exciting thread! :thumbsup

42. Art Andrews

I am already trying to pick some of these models up and once I have them, I will try to work with a pack builder (since I have no sculpting skills of my own) to incorporate them into a pack. I am hoping that as I pick up a model here or there we might find one or two more parts, but honestly, you guys have nailed so many so far, we really don't have that many left and those that are left are getting harder and harder to ID.

What really kills my soul is that Prop Store was so gracious to let me photograph the pack and cannon but in comparing the cannon back to original shots, it is clear that a tremendous amount of the model parts on the cannon have broken off over the years, and there are virtually ZERO good photos of the cannon in its on-screen state that would help us ID more parts.

So far I have the AT-ST and Bradley on order. Should have the Falcon ordered today and possibly the Bruitishdog. Working on the Valkyrie next, but not willing to spend very much on it because it is a total shot in the dark on the scale and I will probably have to buy one, compare its size to the size of the Bruitishdog's foot and then look for the correct scale.

43. terryr

terryr Sr Member

The middle of #13 looks like a boat winch [capstan?] Or maybe military.

44. Slave1

Slave1 Sr Member

Thinking #13 may be two parts, one laid on top the other. One possibility.

Also, here's a pic of the real pack when it was in progress. Some of those models were tinted something other than white or off-white, so maybe that will help some:

[​IMG]

Also judging by this pic, only the "V" looking portion under #4 seems to be a found part, and the plate piece it sits on just looks like part of the sculpt.

45. Mike J.

Look at the Brutishdog foot! Right there, bright pink - you were dead-on, Art! :lol

46. Slave1

Slave1 Sr Member

Yes, I think the pic with the tinted pieces shows that, and you can see the white Falcon and AT-ST pieces, and black tire.

And what about that light blue #5 part?

47. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Just thinking out loud, but #14 the instrument panel, could it be that they used the cutaway model falcon and the ip is from the interior of that?

48. Slave1

Slave1 Sr Member

Near as I can tell, the cutaway version didn't come out until '96, and of course Predator came out in '87.

49. Art Andrews

Slave1 already showed this, but I just got in my AT-ST model today and wanted to show that this is indeed the exact part.

View attachment 93073

50. Art Andrews