Pred Cloaking CG?

predatron

hey guys for give me if this has been covered before but i was searching youtube and found a fan video where the guy did the pred camo thing,im just getting in to film making and i was wonderin if any of talented people out there had done this yet and if so what process/software did ya use ect

im guessin by todays standards it a lot easier to do like P1

ps dont know if there are any stargate fans but if ya check out season 9 there are some dudes whos cloaking effects look awesome even better than the pred one in my opinion,cheers

even P1 standards are quite hard , but there is a program called sony vegas pro 8 or pro 9 either, they can create a nice predator cloak

but ive found its best when your character is all one colour , or the background is a green screen

even P1 standards are quite hard , but there is a program called sony vegas pro 8 or pro 9 either, they can create a nice predator cloak

but ive found its best when your character is all one colour , or the background is a green screen

i have vegas 9,is it a plugin or anything or can you give me any rough instruction as to how its done,i realize it will be very complicated but id love to learn,cheers

yeah iv been watchin the special features on P1 and can see they done it with a red suit and took the colour out what i dont understand is how to do the whole "light bending" trick as it moves

I have an example I'll post when I get home. I shot it against a green screen. I used Adobe After Effects to get the desired result. Its just me testing out the software. Plus, I've lost 55 pounds since then, so be easy. :p

I have an example I'll post when I get home. I shot it against a green screen. I used Adobe After Effects to get the desired result. Its just me testing out the software. Plus, I've lost 55 pounds since then, so be easy. :p

cheers for that cant wait to see it and whatever you say fat boy

:p Thanks man...I feel the love.

I'll post it when I get home from work. I'll include a link to the tutorial I used as well. I would love to do it again suited up.

cheers man that will help a lot,iv got vegas 9 and adobe after effects but im a total beginner at both,i realize i am proberbly way out of my league with this but as they say god loves a trier haha

wow looks great do you know if this is at all possible to do with a moving background as in a movie say with a red suit?im gonna make a fan movie when my suit is finished,or is still shots the only way?

I wouldn't go as far as to say it was simple but i think the easiest way to do this is by filming yourself making the movements and then use the rotobrush tool in aftereffects cs5 to cut yourself out of the clip and use yourself as a displacement map. Lets say for example: i film myself walking around my garden with the video camera on a tripod, when i've finished the movements i want i let the camera keep rolling filming the same scene but without me in it. Now in adobe after effects cs5 i rotobrush around myself and save that as a displacement map, i then take the footage of the empty garden and apply the displacement map of me moving onto it. I could probably explain it a little better but i'm way tired. Maybe i'll shoot it this weekend and upload a tutorial.

predatron...hope this gets you started in the right direction. I really wish I could upload my clip here so you could see it. I guess I could try youtube, but I really don't want to create an account for a ten second clip. :p

This tutorial is great for a static shot (no movement of the background) or a moving background. Set your camera up on a tripod and shoot some vid of what you would like to "cloak" over. Then shoot your subject, in this case a Predator over a green screen (or any solid color, you'll key it out anyway). Then follow the tutorial. It's a very cool effect.

As scottyw stated...you will have to rotoscope each frame if you shoot your scene without a green screen. Not difficult if the clip is short. Take into consideration there are 30 frames in a one second shot...rotoscoping is a tedious undertaking.

Good luck...can't wait to see what you do.

Ok...so I created a Youtube account so I could post my clip. I work in the televison industry and did this in our studio. Again...it was just to test out the software...this was well before I had started my Predator suit. I would love to do this again suited up!!! :p

Here's the link...Predator cloak test

Ok...so I created a Youtube account so I could post my clip. I work in the televison industry and did this in our studio. Again...it was just to test out the software...this was well before I had started my Predator suit. I would love to do this again suited up!!! :p

Here's the link...Predator cloak test

wow your a star!thanks so much for that,yeah iv got a great idea for a short movie that im gonna make with a few guys,i promise it will be decent!but i gotta nail this thing first,if i have to do it frame by frame then so be it because its gonna be a P2 style city thing

the help is invaluable and the clips are great/

I wouldn't go as far as to say it was simple but i think the easiest way to do this is by filming yourself making the movements and then use the rotobrush tool in aftereffects cs5 to cut yourself out of the clip and use yourself as a displacement map. Lets say for example: i film myself walking around my garden with the video camera on a tripod, when i've finished the movements i want i let the camera keep rolling filming the same scene but without me in it. Now in adobe after effects cs5 i rotobrush around myself and save that as a displacement map, i then take the footage of the empty garden and apply the displacement map of me moving onto it. I could probably explain it a little better but i'm way tired. Maybe i'll shoot it this weekend and upload a tutorial.

thanks so much for the help im really overwhelmed by the task as i have little experience with effects,if you do get the chance to do the tutorial i would be eternally greatful!many thanks!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back