Praetorian Guard helmet from The Mandalorian Season 3

kalkamel

Master Member
While I found Season 3 of The Mandalorian a big disappointment, there were a handful of things from it that I did like. One of which were the Praetorian Guards featured in the last two episodes. The helmet in particular, with its Corinthian style design, felt more like a natural progression of the Royal Guard helmets in ROTJ compared to the ridiculous looking Lobstermen seen in TLJ.

So a few days after that penultimate episode aired, I found this file on Printables: Printables

This was modeled right after that episode and while there are some inaccuracies, I thought it captured the look fine. Plus, it's free. And besides, more accurate 3D files weren't available yet at that point.

So I downloaded it and fired up my trusty workhorse, the Anycubic Mega X. I split the model vertically right at the centre so I can print it in two halves (to cut down on printing time) and printed them without centre support.

Once printed, I glued the two halves together. This was taken after I sanded the layer lines down with an orbital sander.
rps20230511_111253.jpg

rps20230511_111307.jpg
rps20230511_111325.jpg

After a few rounds of filling, sanding and priming, it was ready for the base coat.
rps20230511_111339.jpg

I used a color called Monza Red but it ended up looking a tad dull for my liking.
rps20230511_111354.jpg

So I sanded it down and reprimed.
rps20230511_111419.jpg

rps20230511_111429.jpg

I used another shade called Signal Red and I thought it looked way better. A 1K gloss clear coat made it super shiny. I added a visor made from a thin plastic sheet with 5% auto tint. Here's the completed helmet.
rps20230511_111439.jpg
rps20230511_111457.jpg
rps20230511_111448.jpg

There are more accurate paid files out now (Great Ape just released one) but for now I'm happy to add this to my collection of helmets.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Nice finish! Which 1K clear are you using? I had a can of (I think) Duplicolor that I tried once that wouldn't fully cure.
Probably moving to spray guns this year, but still exploring every avenue...

Nice finish! Which 1K clear are you using? I had a can of (I think) Duplicolor that I tried once that wouldn't fully cure.
Probably moving to spray guns this year, but still exploring every avenue...
I used a popular brand here in Southeast Asia called Samurai, but I doubt you'll be able to get it Stateside. I had initially wanted to use 2k clear but because I only had ONE helmet to clearcoat, it would be a waste since the can is only usable for about 36 hours. But I like the 1k as it gives off almost the same wet gloss look as 2k... I'll probably use it for my future helmets.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back