Praetor Claudius Glaber

Wow, you have done some awesome work. I applaud your being willing to jump in and work out your issues with getting this done. Really cool.

A quick update:

2012-03-05_18-49-25_137.jpg

I still need to attach the fur to the top, and do the other boot, but I'm really happy with this.

Second update of the night:

Doing the raised leather bit was interesting. I glued and clamped it, as well as grommets.

2012-03-05_16-06-27_850.jpg

Had to do the boots by halves since I didn't have enough clamps to do the whole thing at once. That's the only reason this took almost all night.

2012-03-05_23-44-11_625.jpg

2012-03-05_23-44-00_223.jpg

2012-03-05_23-43-41_864.jpg

But, the important part is that the boots are done. Now I just need to pray that my Pugio shows up in time, and make the ornamentation for the belts and straps and sculpt the chest detail. I've actually been putting it off since it is the part that intimidates me the most. I've sculpted things in the past, and the turned out quite ugly. I'd have to have just one part turn out crappy, and one that is such a central piece.

Another update:

Found some amazing high-def screencaps of the recent episodes, a few of which had great shots of the Praetor's chest emblem. I sketched out what I was making on paper, scanned it, and started sculpting.

ChestWork.jpg

I never said I was an artist, and after looking at the emblem really close, I wouldn't call it a scorpion. I'd call it an owl-scorpion/eagle thing.

2012-03-09_23-53-09_368.jpg

2012-03-10_12-30-51_684.jpg

2012-03-10_13-48-47_80.jpg

Starburst for scale. Got it in some MoldMax this morning. Should be pulling one in time to leave on Thursday.

2012-03-11_09-16-54_330.jpg

An update without pictures:

Demolded the emblem tonight. Looks really really good. Materials should be here tomorrow to pour the first cast. Also finished up the detail bits on the sword shoulder strap.

The dagger is the only wild card. Ordered it 16 days ago, and it still isn't here. Shipping from North Carolina to Texas must be brutal. If it isn't sitting at the post office tomorrow, the guy is getting an email about how he needs to overnight it, or I have to try and figure something out in one day.

Pictures of everything to follow tomorrow when I can find my phone/camera.

Another picture-less update:

I found my phone, but then there was work and the 'Oh my god, we leave tomorrow morning' panic of finishing up things. No pictures. I'll have quite a few after the con, though.

So, I'm trying a new material for the emblem. Task 16, by SmoothOn. It's a Urethane Rubber that looks to be pretty amazing. It's fairly rigid but also flexible. Sounded like a pretty good idea for an emblem on a leather chest piece.

It claims a 90 minute de-mold time, with a 6 minute pot life. I spent a good 3 minutes stirring just to be sure it was done right. I poured it about 4 hours ago and it still isn't ready to be demolded. It is *much* firmer than it was to start with, but it's still a little tacky, and I don't want to ruin my pull. So, looks like it's going to sit in the mold overnight.

Nothing quite like painting the day you leave for a con...and if this doesn't work, I'll just pour it in resin in the hotel.

ETA: Still sticky after an overnight. I've stripped the material out of the mold and I'm now baking it in the oven to get the last of the material to hopefully set so I can pour a resin one in the hotel.

Last edited:
Back from con!

Poured a resin emblem during a mold making and resin casting panel that myself and Skruffy gave. Painted it in the hotel stairwell and attached it to the armor with hot glue. Just posting a teaser pic before I go to bed.

03-17-12-All_Con-2795-CD.jpg

Hi guys

I know this thread is very old, but I would like to know what did you used to hang your cape into those rings? I need the same for my cape, but I dont know how to hang my cape into my "cape-holder"-rings

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back