Power Ranger RPM helmet advice, please

evanthx

Hey, all. This is Evan's wife, posting under his name until I am able to get an account of my own again. I am in the the process of making the Yellow Ranger costume from the Power Rangers RPM series. While I have the software ( fabric costume, etc) mostly worked out, I have to admit I am fairly intimidated by the helmet. I have never done anything like this before.

My first and most pressing issues right now is, where in the world do I get plexiglass for the visor that is dark enough to obscure any view inside the helmet, but can still be seen through? I emailed a couple of companies, but have not heard back from anyone.

And, I guess, after that, does any one have any tips for a first time helmet maker? I would be really grateful for any advice on products to use, tutorials to look at, methods that are especially useful, etc. As I said, I am pretty darn good with a sewing machine, but I am not too hot with the sculpting, etc.

And in case it turns out that I am just plain unskilled at this kind of thing, anyone have advice on people who custom make helmets without charging a month's mortgage payment to do so? :lol

Not to turn you away, but Ranger Props seems to be the place to get into on Sentai/Ranger materials. If you don;t find what you are looking for here, someone over on that forum will certainly know the answer.

Aside from that, maybe just check out the tutorials and other threads here. Sorry I can't be more of a help, but I'm only at the Kitbashing stage of prop building at the moment.

Thank you for the link, I will check it out. And I am sure I will be posting pics and the costume starts coming together.

Hey, all. This is Evan's wife, posting under his name until I am able to get an account of my own again. I am in the the process of making the Yellow Ranger costume from the Power Rangers RPM series. While I have the software ( fabric costume, etc) mostly worked out, I have to admit I am fairly intimidated by the helmet. I have never done anything like this before.

My first and most pressing issues right now is, where in the world do I get plexiglass for the visor that is dark enough to obscure any view inside the helmet, but can still be seen through? I emailed a couple of companies, but have not heard back from anyone.

And, I guess, after that, does any one have any tips for a first time helmet maker? I would be really grateful for any advice on products to use, tutorials to look at, methods that are especially useful, etc. As I said, I am pretty darn good with a sewing machine, but I am not too hot with the sculpting, etc.

And in case it turns out that I am just plain unskilled at this kind of thing, anyone have advice on people who custom make helmets without charging a month's mortgage payment to do so? :lol

Gavreilli plastics in North Hollywood is where I get all my plastics, we used a very dark 3/32" thick acrylic ,pre warped to fit the helms for the movie .

Not to turn you away, but Ranger Props seems to be the place to get into on Sentai/Ranger materials. If you don;t find what you are looking for here, someone over on that forum will certainly know the answer.

Errrr, the owner was kicked outta here for recasting a fellow member's work.

Power Rangers: RPM, eh? It's very simple. These helmets, Red and Yellow, are available as garage kits. It's wise NOT to buy the first thing you find, for most of these recasts are done by amateurs, either Asians or Americans, but some are quite decent. Some, even sell finished helmets with the "STUNT" visor, which is a helmet with a painted-on visor with drilled holes all over.

These are cast off original TV helmets, but rigged for live stage Japanese stunt-men. A stunt helmet would be better you. The drilled hole visor will provide vision and no fogging. A real visor would require you to use a Vac-forming table, a mold, tons of trial and error until you shape the mold that will form a visor that will fit the helmet's visor frame, blah-blah, forever work for a one time helmet.

So, my advise: Don't waist time and effort re-inventing the wheel making a helmet. I don't sell them, but if you need links and more info, PM me.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back