POTC Dead Man's Chest. Kinda.

badmojo

I know I showed off the Gilligan's Island bamboo car I made for last year's Home Depot Cashier Olympics, so I thought I'd show my entry from the year before. The theme was Oscar Winning Movie so I persuaded my store to go with POTC, figuring that I would get to keep the treasure chest and it would fit on my Tiki/Polynesian sun porch. I sorta combined the idea of the Aztec chest from Black Pearl with the design of Dead Man's Chest by scaling it up 4'x2', the Max size you could build. I need to get some better pics but this gives you a the basic idea. I just keep throwing stuff in as I find it. Need to pick up one of those Indiana Jones Fertility Idol Banks and maybe make some Copper Bones.
I built it off & on over the course of a couple weeks. Not very accurate but close enough for it's purpose. Changed a few design elements to work better with materials at hand. The basic box is 3/4" cabinet grade ply with 1"x2" pine for all the extras. All the tentacles & details were cut from rubber shelf liner and attatched with spray glue. Sprayed the whole thing in Hammered Copper and then went back with flat brown and several washes. Insane amount of upholstery tacks. Built up the false bottom and threw in 4 gross of coins we had bought & it didn't even cover the bottom. Ended up orderering another 18 gross. I had bought the skeletons on clearance the year before and thought they would dress up the inside lid.
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

My dog is not impressed.

ry%3D400

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back