Portal props

Loserizer

Ok so i want to build some Portal props, But i dont know where to start.
Does anyone know how to build a portal gun and make the Apeture Science testing jumpsuit? Also i want to build a turret and a core with an anamatronic eye. Any suggestions or tips?

There are a few pictorial walkthroughs out there. This one is easier to follow but the front shell and barrel are slightly inaccurately scaled, so make a few tweaks. It's a hybrid of the in-game and real-world Aperture blueprints:
http://www.therpf.com/f9/portal-gun-finally-finished-113268/

This one is the most accurate in-game model, but more difficult to follow:
http://www.therpf.com/f9/ashpd-portal-gun-image-heavy-just-way-you-like-115139/

You might as well buy his kit because you will end up spending between $500 - $1000 to finish this the right way, plus it will save you like 50 hours:
Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device Gun Replica Kit -eBay | eBay

I'm currently working on a real-world model based on the commercials and Aperture blueprints. So far I have never seen anyone do this. Some of the items like the white shells, the front end, and some other stuff is a little different. I also ordered the kit and plan on modifying it and remolding it to change a few things for accuracy.

Hey Jason, I got your missing piece in the mail on Saturday. Sorry again for the mistake, I hope it didn't throw off your building scheduled. I sent Crix a message asking him to try to squeeze you in for a light kit, did he ever get back to you?

Also, I was browsing the forums last night and I came across this post. I was hoping you could offer a bit of clarification.

I also ordered the kit and plan on modifying it and remolding it to change a few things for accuracy.

Hey Jason, I got your missing piece in the mail on Saturday. Sorry again for the mistake, I hope it didn't throw off your building scheduled. I sent Crix a message asking him to try to squeeze you in for a light kit, did he ever get back to you?

Also, I was browsing the forums last night and I came across this post. I was hoping you could offer a bit of clarification.

No worries. I got it yesterday. Thanks.

Last edited:

I'm working on my own design here: http://www.therpf.com/f9/yet-another-other-portal-gun-130026/

I'm further along than what's posted, but some aspects of your design is going into mine. (not shown in pics yet) Though yours is true to the game and the very best I have seen so far, I'm trying for a real world model as seen in the first pic which is a Valve mesh rendition and also shown in the commercials and in the Cave Johnson videos. So far it's small things like the claws and the front barrel and rear barrel. Never actually touching your parts, I have recreated some of them from scratch. I have reshaped my rear shell since posting these pics to match some of the aspects of yours but with differences to match the mesh model renditions. I started creating molds of my modified parts (never actually touching or molding your originals, but used them as references). I'll post more pics when I have time.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back