Poltergeist remake (Post-release)

Re: Poltergeist remake

Trailer didn't do much for me but I just watched the original 1982 trailer and it still makes the hairs on my neck freak out
https://www.youtube.com/embed/9eZgEKjYJqA

You know looking at those houses and the description this could also sort of be an allegory of the nightmare that 80s suburban life could be. The sameness of the houses and loss of identity. All i know is I made the mistake of watching this thing when i was way too little and it's stuck with me lol. I agree with the TV static, even our local tv stations no longer go off the air like they used to at 2am or whatever for maintenance.

I forgot to mention that the only thing about this reboot that I don't like is the whole staticy TV thing and that's only because not many young folk are going to understand or relate to that. You have to figure that just about anybody under age 30 has grown up in age of 24 hour TV, there may not always be something worth watching on but there's never a time where there isn't some sort of programming on TV and some younger folk might not get the idea of there being nothing but static on TV just because it's late at night.

It's funny you mention that becaus I was just watching Poltergiest a few weeks ago and though, "wow, there's something you never see anymore." no more American Anthem to sign off and then static. Just infomercials. Maybe the ghosts will shoot out off the Sham-wow guy's head.

It's funny you mention that becaus I was just watching Poltergiest a few weeks ago and though, "wow, there's something you never see anymore." no more American Anthem to sign off and then static. Just infomercials. Maybe the ghosts will shoot out off the Sham-wow guy's head.

I suddenly have this vision of the ghost of Billy Mays with a Joker-like rictus grin saying "Why settle for just one regular haunting when you can get an entire Indian burial ground of pissed off spirits for the low low cost of housing developer greed! You get the flying objects. You get the chair stacking. You get the whispers, static electricity, evil toys, and interdimensional doorways. But wait! There's more! Call a séance in the next five minutes and I'll even throw in possessed, carnivorous tree ABSOLUTELY FREE!!! What are you waiting for? Act now!"

Last edited:

The original clown looked scary because it look like a regular clown. The new clown doesn't look scary because it looks like a scary clown. Make sense?
Why make a remake so close to the original when the original was just about perfect to begin with?

Good point about static, though at least it looks like they're going with an "affected" blank blue screen. Weirdly, I feel like ghosts affecting analog signals makes sense - but not digital...

Other than that, creepy trailer, but it of course shows you everything that you're expecting to see. Why leave anything left for surprise in a movie full of "surprise" jump scares?

Meh...

Eh...don't think of it as a remake. Think of it as another family in the same house...if the house reappeared and the other family failed to mention the haunted part during their short sale.

Yeh, classic Twilight Zone and clearly the influence for the first Poltergiest

I couldn't believe how close Poltergeist was to that episode in so many ways. I remember in '82 they even played it on TV and advertised it as "The episode that inspired Poltergeist!".

Trailer didn't do much for me but I just watched the original 1982 trailer and it still makes the hairs on my neck freak out
https://www.youtube.com/embed/9eZgEKjYJqA

The original trailer is the most terrifying trailer I've ever seen. And without a doubt the most terrifying movie I've ever seen. I saw the original at a very young age... probably too young. It scared me to death. That damn tree, that damn clown!! But I absolutely love it. I think this movie actually made me unafraid of every movie I've ever seen since. They just can't compare and I just can't get scared anymore. Not since I was 6. So what's my opinion of this remake?? IT LOOKS LIKE ****K*** GARBAGE!!!!

Last edited:

I saw the original at a very young age... probably too young. It scared me to death. That damn tree, that damn clown!! But I absolutely love it.
Same. For me it was the tree and watching a guy tear his own face off. It was years in between viewings until I owned the film, and I remembered that scene being much worse than it really was. My brain had filled in all the visceral details over the years.. hehe. But yes, now it has a permanent place in the October horror film festival in my house, usually saved for last and watched on Halloween night. :)

Maybe the reason for a remake is because Hollywood is in business to make money.

Any old movie that is unknown to the current young audience, no matter how good it is, is valid remake material. Deal.

Fine, let's just remake 2001, Star Wars, Gone with the Wind, Close Encounters, Jaws, Godfather, Matrix, Apocalypse Now, etc. Hell, let's just remake every single movie that is over 10 years old. Who cares anyway, it's all just about money.

Fine, let's just remake 2001, Star Wars, Gone with the Wind, Close Encounters, Jaws, Godfather, Matrix, Apocalypse Now, etc. Hell, let's just remake every single movie that is over 10 years old. Who cares anyway, it's all just about money.

Star Wars, Matrix, and maybe Jaws & Apocalypse. Those movies probably have adequate young pop-culture presence and/or strong memory to make a remake questionable.

The rest of those movies ARE prime for a remake, in terms of timing. If they aren't being remade then it's because of the difficulty of doing it well and/or the decreased box office hopes compared to its original era.

I'm not saying you have to like it. I don't either a lot of the time. But this is still a business to make money. That's the only reason any of those movies got made the first time. Their biggest target audience these days is too young to even remember 9/11. If they are familiar with anything from the 1900s then it has to have gotten a fair amount of cable TV airing or some other exposure in recent years.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back