Planet of the Apes Spaceship builds...

Update!!!!No rest for the weary!!

I had to completely rebuild the separation point between the ship and the nose cone. You can see the rebuilt area I am pointing at with my X-Acto, and around the lower hull portion...Is this a big deal, YES!!

The client wants to remove the nose cone to see all the wonderful detail work I did on the escape tube! If we weren't worried about removing the nose, it would been a simple fix, but we want it to sit right on the ship attached via...MAGNETS!! We may have to rethink that idea.

UPDATE....

The model is ready for it's top coat of my mix of Tamiya whites...

You can see(hopefully)how the once ragged edges of the wings and winglets are now blended smooth into the hull.

I repeated the process several times until I was happy with the results.

I had to fill in all the small imperfections Along the wings and rebuild the bottom of the hull that was removed because of the flooring under the hatch mods.

Last edited:
UPDATE....

The model has been painted it's mix of air brushed Tamiya whites and the decals applied. The model has a flat finish. I wanted it to look real and in my opinion the glossy finish will make this look like a toy. Thankfully the client agreed. This thing begs to be weathered!!!

The nose cone has not been painted yet.

I also removed the Engine bells from the larger wings to allow ease of painting.

Also the window frames and glass have not been attached. The model will now be permanently attached to a base.

When it's on it's base, I'll post the finished pictures.

I agree the glossy paint would make it look like a toy. Most spacecraft are painted in flats in real life too aren't they?

UPDATE...

I have scratch built a base to display the model. The switches are mounted as you see. The battery pack is epoxied to the bottom of the base.

The base is not painted yet. The wires will go through a hole in the base hidden from view. The model will be permanently attached to it's base.

The base is the perfect size for the model. Any smaller and it would look...stupid. Any larger, The same.

Did I mention how much I like this, already?! If not, back to the top!

Excellent Stuff!

-Ry

A great looking kit and a gorgeous build. i can almost hear Chuck Heston and his monologue at the start of the film.

THE Planet of the Apes 1/48 Icarus is Complete. I stained the Base and painted the top Gloss Black. The wires for the lights are threaded through the base. I also tinted the windows to reflect the original Miniature and 5' Filming Miniature.

It is frightening that someone can achieve this out of some pieces of plastic and some paint. A truly inspiring piece of work. I hope you are charging the earth for this as it is just about priceless!

Wow! I am truly motivated by this build. I thought about building a large version years ago when the Icarus featured in the Sci-Fi and Fantasy Model Magazine. I have even enlarged the drawings that featured. Now when I see this I am going to get a move on. Thanks for the inspiration.

A truly exquisite build of my favorite spacecraft!

If I had even one quarter of your amazing skill I would attempt this kit but alas ....

"ESCAPE" SHIP Under Construction...I have been working on the "Escape from the Planet of the Apes Ship" AND it is currently in this IN PROGRESS shot. I have installed the lighting for the main Controls and the Escape hatch tube.

The upper hull has the painted green around the viewport, which will be masked when I attach the upper and lower hull to attach the wings/winglets...

That's some amazing attention to detail. Though I'm still trying to figure out how they got the ship off the planet in the first place lol.

UPDATE... The Escape ship has been assembled and lighting system added. These are IN PROGRESS shots...

You can see I have filled in the un even areas and they will in turn be sanded smooth. Also note that I have the lights on FULL. and not to scale to show here. The client can adjust to correct scale.

Also notice how the opening hatch allows for a detailed view of the interior...

Are the reel to reel tapes part of the kit or are you scratchbuilding them? Those mics have to be a nightmare to scratchbuild.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back