Picture request: Medal of Honor prop from the making of "The Wizard of Oz" book.

GuntahKela

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm about to finish this prop replica, but I've lost the pic file from the book, which is 1000 times clerarer than a screen grab. Any helpers so kind to post a scan? Thanks.

The lion's courage medal?

If so, I have a pretty sweet screen grab.
Not the pic you asked for, but not to shabby for starters.
If it's even what your talking about..I've never seen the MO book before..

OZLionsMedal.jpg

I think this is the one..

"The Making of The Wizard of Oz: Movie Magic & Studio Power In The Prime of M.G.M."

Found a slew of 'em on amazon for $5 and up.

Guntahkela, I could not find any pics online..tried for a while.
I see why you asked for the pics here.

Good Luck! with your prop..Looking forward to it :)

Re: Picture request: Medal of Honor prop from the making of "The Wizard of Oz" book

Do you mean the "Wizardry of Oz" book? :confused

It looks like they have released a few of these Oz books, in the last few years. I can't remember what the cover looked like, but it has a very good pic of the medal, inside. I figured whom ever has the book, will know what I'm talking about.

A few years ago, I asked for the same favor, and someone posted the pic. I forgot who it was, but I hope he catches this thread.

Here's a little incentive of my WIP:

get-attachmentaspx.jpg

Last edited:
Not to derail your thread but does that book have pics of the Scarecrow's
scroll or the Tin Man's heart?

If yes, please post pics of those too. Pretty please.

No , sadly it doesn't.
I am not even sure if those props still exist.
The Scarecrow's costume is in the Smithsonian, the Tinman's was never found.

Not to derail your thread but does that book have pics of the Scarecrow's
scroll or the Tin Man's heart?

If yes, please post pics of those too. Pretty please.

Always wondered why we don't see more Oz props on these boards. Certainly the Lion's medal warrants this interest, but I also think about:

Dorothy's ruby slippers
Tin Man's clock heart (i'd LOVE to have an accurate replica of this item)
Witch's hourglass
Tin Man's axe
Tin Man's oil can

I'll be following this thread with great interest.

I have the three "rewards" in work. Definitely a back burner project due to lack of real reference. But those Lion medal pics are fantastic.

I also have a preliminary drawing of the Witch's hourglass.

No , sadly it doesn't.
I am not even sure if those props still exist.
The Scarecrow's costume is in the Smithsonian, the Tinman's was never found.

Yeah, in fact, because of the lack of documentation, during the filming of the movie, the book, with the medal pic, hardly has any good prop pics. I was really surprised to see they had a good pic of the medal, although it is incompleted.

Most of the book is text with illustrations. If you are not a die-hard Oz fan, the book can get boring, pretty quickly.

Before asking for pics, here, I did a few google searches. As always, I find nothing on Google, but did find this interesting blog on how the Smithsonian Ruby slipers travel. All this trouble for Oprah to play with them:

http://www.originalprop.com/blog/?p=1496

And, the wrath of the fandom:

http://www.oprah.com/community/thre...891d9a78dcf0238e1.e3qNah8Kc34Ne3uLb3uRbN4Obi0

Re: Picture request: Medal of Honor prop from the making of "The Wizard of Oz" book

It looks like they have released a few of these Oz books, in the last few years. I can't remember what the cover looked like, but it has a very good pic of the medal, inside. I figured whom ever has the book, will know what I'm talking about.

A few years ago, I asked for the same favor, and someone posted the pic. I forgot who it was, but I hope he catches this thread.

Here's a little incentive of my WIP:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t255/BuzzsRoom/get-attachmentaspx.jpg

Necro bump to find out if this prop ever found its way to completion?
You had such a killer start.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back