Phaser 1 Kit Buildup plus MM P2 Restoration

Been taking measurements and thinking over how to approach parting the model, and I've just had an epiphany. Time to put my head down and bust my ass for the next three days, 'cause I got a 6-month gig starting Friday. But as I've so often said, every time I model something, I get better and faster. I truly think I've sussed it now, and when I can get a weekend free, I'll pop for a month at Techshop and git 'er done. :)

Today's blueprint revisions went really well. I'll finish tomorrow, only the front and back views to go. Then I dive right back into the model to do the retopo against these new drawings.

The green boxes represent actual measurements from the GJ hero. The tiny little orange box at the front of the cradle in the side views is the single measurement I took from the JL. Once I had these measurements in place in Illustrator, I discovered the Wand phaser has a couple of distortions.

The red outlines are my actual corrections to the blueprints by Sunking. They're very close, I'm very impressed. I derived the red outlines by comparing the Wand to the actual measurements from the GJ, then by using those measurements to correct the distortions in the photos of the GJ. My red countours are necessarily idealized a tiny bit, since the GJ isn't symmetrical and there's necessarily still some error in my corrections of the photos. Also, in one or two places I did a bit of fudging to my own taste, again to clean up inconsistencies in the GJ.

That said, I think I'm as close as I need to get, and once the 3D files are out in the wild, maybe others can redefine rivet counting.

I'll post comparisons of Sunking's blueprints and the Wand orthographic side view to my outlines tomorrow, but meanwhile, here's a taste:

Screenshot 2016-06-01 01.22.04.png

Zeroing in on the bottom view. Gotta get these things done and out in the wild by EOD tomorrow, so I can start using my weekend time for modeling. Off to forage for food and diapers, back to the mines later today. :)

Screenshot 2016-06-01 14.32.22.png

Well, so much for EOD today. But I've started remembering Photoshop tricks from 10 years ago when I was running a small production business, so it's looking lots better and going much faster. If I keep going like this, I might be competent one day. :p

Screenshot 2016-06-02 21.29.05.png

Quick update -- still getting in work on the drawing, but if I posted a screenshot it wouldn't look like I'd done anything. The changes are very subtle. The contour errors I got the first time around trace back to errors in the first drawings, so I only want to do this twice once. :p

Really closing in now. The front and back photos need scaling and comping, then some cleanup of the measurements and rulers, and some final dibbing and dabbing... and man, am I ever late for work. Gonna be a late one. :)

Screenshot 2016-06-15 12.27.04.png

I might do a version with a straight-up black background and no photos, since in Blender I can put the drawing in front of the model with partial transparency and that would give me nice bright lines on top of the model for comparison.

Also, at the end I have to put Sunking's credit box back in and some other info.

Holy booboos, Batman!

I can't believe my eyes, but I was off this whole time on my length for all those views down the middle of the page there. I have no idea how I missed it, but I was about 1/16" short of 6.4" and I didn't catch it till this morning. I'm sure you can see it in the picture in the last post. The 6.4" marker is correct, the guide markers are correct, yet all four of those views are wrong! Fortunately, it's a very easy fix and shouldn't take more than a few minutes, if that (I can rescale all of those layers at once). BTW, this was my error, not Sunking's. Yikes!

I seriously need new glasses. Or maybe I should just wear the ones I have. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
YIKES!

Yeah, I know -- three months is a long time to let this project lay fallow. In that time, though, I've had two gigs and three bouts of flu. Blew off my flu shot last year, and boy did I pay for that decision. Just getting over the latest one now. Nasty, but short at least -- I must've had lots of leftover antibodies from last time (two months ago).

Anyway, my current gig is ending this week, so back to this project I'll go. Not sure where exactly I'll pick up the ball, but it'll be somewhere fun. Also, I have a side project going for my cosplay, a very nice midgrade dummy. I'm using Rob's beautiful shells for the pistol body, and mastering the handle and P1 myself using mostly balsa and fiberglass. I'm going to cast them and do the traditional layups, since they're easy parts. So the whole thing will be hollow fiberglass, just like the originals. I learned the hard way the other week that a solid resin phaser won't stay on your belt no matter what, because solid resin. :p

I'll post that whole project all at once when it's finished, since I don't want to turn it into a major detour for this thread.

Stay tuned, folks, I'm still alive, and that means there are still phaser fumes to snort... :p

Yay! Re-upped my Techsop membership yesterday and got right back to work in the machine shop! Turns out operating a lathe is like riding a bike -- it's always fun and liberating until you get hit by a car. Or something like that. Anyway...

I got three aluminum things done yesterday, but I only have pix of one of them. My phone died for several hours last night, and it wasn't till I got home that I was finally able to reboot it. The battery is completely wonky. But I can live with it for the time being, since my iPhone 7 upgrade is on (back) order (till frakking November 16th). So "the time being" is actually six more weeks. Yaaayy...

But the pix I do have are kinda okay -- I used the digital zoom, which totally sucks, much to my (not at all) surprise. So yesterday I punched three items off the list:

• I cut apart a series of 9/16" side dial rings that Todd (Replicator) gave me back around the turn of the century (I've always wanted to say that!)
  • I refinished a P2 trigger that I turned on a drill, also back around the turn of the century, and now it matches the photos of the original midgrades
  • Last but not least (and actually, first), I turned a beautiful fake Kilo knob for my midgrade project.

I also got back into turning P2 emitters, but since Techshop cut their hours back to 9am - 12am, I had to bail before I could finish dialing in the exact angle for the taper. One minute you're turning acrylic like a madman, the next minute someone on the PA says "RELEASE THE HOUNDS!" and you're backed into a corner, holding off rabid Rottweilers with a dull parting tool. Ah, shop life...

So here are the knob pictures, such as they are, which are actually taken across two different pieces. Why?

A word about auto-feed. It's a beautiful thing, unless you send the carriage the wrong way. If you pull the lever one way, the tool glides slowly and precisely across your work, leaving behind a gleaming, industrial-quality finish. If you pull the lever the other way, the tool glides slowly and precisely into your workpiece, leaving behind a mangled corpse.

And that's how I got hit by that car. :p

turning%20phaser%20knob%2002.JPG

turning%20phaser%20knob%2004.JPG

turning%20phaser%20knob%2005.JPG

turning%20phaser%20knob%2007.JPG

Awesome work as usual man. and your phone takes good pics. mine sucks. congrats on having access to a machine shop again.. must be heaven. unless your getting hit by that car lol

Thanks guys!

I got pictures today, I'll post them tomorrow with a blow-by-blow. But right now I'm off to bed -- after two days straight standing at the lathe, I'm one big pile of pain. Very happy though. I've got a really nice midgrade emitter now, side dial rings, a trigger, a knob, and even the faux brass release pin. Still can't get my head around it being 3/16" instead of 1/8", but that's what it is. So I now have all my midgrade metal except for the side dial and top plate, but those will be done before long.

Anyway, pix tomorrow. Off to bed with muscle rub and a tall glass of whine. :p

Okay, so here's the wrap-up on the last two days of lathing phaser bits. And there will be more lathing tonight, because they've got Lathe 1 (Latham, as the ladies call him) running sweeeeeet.

69059316.jpg

And I want to turn as much as I can before it gets frakked up again.

1. The faux Kilo knob:

I found the best order to turn it is as follows:

1. Turn down the top stud, leaving yourself extra length to finish off at the end.
  2. Turn the taper. I moved the tool toward the stud to start with (away from the chuck), then switched direction for the last couple of fine passes (to avoid accidentally crashing the tool into the stud and ruining it).
    1. I did a 55º taper, which looked about right by eye and compared favorably to the Kilo knob. Not identical, since the faux knob looks flatter to me in photos. If I had to guess, I'd say the Kilo knob is more like 50º. Nobody's gonna walk up to me at a con and put calipers and an angle finder on it, so I'm not gonna sweat that.
  3. Turn down the diameter of the dial part, to around 5/8". This can be loosey-goosey on the midgrade, IMO, depending on the width of the back of the phaser.
  4. Finish the end of the stud down to a height of 3/32". The diameter is 7/32".
I'm going to paint the stud tonight if I remember.* I've decided to make this midgrade showroom-new, partly because everybody's doing the distressed look, and partly because the machined parts look so pretty, I just don't want to distress them. :)

*I did not. :p

2. The 9/16" rings:

Back in the day, Todd (Replicator1701) sent me a piece of tube he'd turned down for the collar that goes around the side dial. It was scored at roughly 1/4" intervals as a cutting guide. I've kept it all these years, since it turned out to be exactly the right size every time I compared it to sources. It matched the resin collar on the MM kit, it matches the collar on the Wand phaser, and it matches the diagrams and photos we've all seen. All I did was part them off, and now I have five rings plus a loose one in a box somewhere. So I think I only need to turn one or two more for a total of five heroes and one or two midgrades.

1. The outside diameter of the ring is 9/16".
  2. The diameter of the side dial is 1/2".
  3. That makes the wall thickness of the ring about 1/6", minus a couple thou for fitting. Probably best done by sanding the side dial and the inside wall till you're happy with the fit.
3. The midgrade acrylic emitter:

This is basically just a taper. I grabbed some of my 3/8" stock from last year and gave it a 4º taper, which seems to be just right. Basically, that gives me a 3/16" diameter at the tip, and 5/15" diameter at the back, across a taper length of just about an inch. Without taking calipers to the originals, I can say this looks best to my eye.

So to start, I take off material pretty aggressively, working the tool away from the chuck because I really hate it when the tool crashes into the chuck and gets destroyed. This is only around 80rpm, but at high speeds things can get kinda shrapnelly when that happens. As I've said previously about turning acrylic, use low speeds.

IMG_0119.JPG

And here's the proofy pudding that this lathe is now wobble-free: looky them perfect chips!

IMG_0120.JPG

Also, the taper comes out just gorgeous. No tool chatter, no cracking or shattering, just a nice, smooth, perfect taper. Note -- it looks very clear in these two pix because it's covered in cutting oil. It's actually very frosty, which gets taken care of later.

IMG_0121.JPGIMG_0122.JPG

Now that I've got the taper, I turn down the back to 5/16".

IMG_0123.JPGIMG_0124.JPG

Note in the first picture how rough the shaft part looks compared to the taper. That's because when you're just hogging off material, you want to move your tool faster to save time. It's only when you're doing a finish pass that you want to go really, really slow. For brass or aluminum finish passes, I'll go as slow as 0.02"/sec. Sometimes even slower -- I think the auto feed goes down to 0.0063"/sec.

(However, there's no auto feed when you're turning the taper with the compound slide, so you have to turn that gear wheel by hand. Getting that even and consistent takes practice, but you can get really sweet results that way. And it's much easier to set up -- the other two ways require very lengthy setup with additional gear and it's not worth doing unless you're turning a lot of high-quality parts.)

So I just keep turning it down till my nozzle fits nicely. That's really the easiest way to know when to stop.

IMG_0125.JPG

And now,

LET THE SANDING BEGIN!!!!

IMG_0126.JPGIMG_0127.JPGIMG_0128.JPGIMG_0129.JPG

The last sheet there is 1500 grit. In the third photo, you can see I just used cutting oil for the wet sanding, and it worked very well. Also saved me walking over to the slop sink for water. :p

In retrospect, I shouldn't have started with 320. I wound up with an ever-so-slightly loose fit into the nozzle, meaning I took off too much material after I'd gotten my nice fit. Not a show-stopper by any means, but next time I'm starting with 400 wet. In this case, I think using epoxy to hold the emitter in the nozzle will more than compensate for any looseness.

In any case, I stopped sanding when I was just shy of perfectly clear. No 2000 grit, no polishing with jeweler's rouge. To my eye, that comes closest to matching the photos of the originals:

IMG_0133.JPG

Finally, it's time for Romeo and Juliet -- parting is such sweet sorrow. Not really appropriate, but I get to show off my Shakespeare quotes. :p

funny-cat-pictures-whats-wrong-with-you1.jpg

Uh... anyway, here's me doing the cutty-offy thingy.

IMG_0135.JPG

So there's one more item off the punch list! I cut it very long in the back to give myself a choice in how far out to let it protrude from the nozzle. I can go from just the tapered part (1") all the way out to ridiculous (a little over 1 1/2").

IMG_0140.JPGIMG_0141.JPGIMG_0142.JPG

Yay!!

4. The midgrade brass release pin:

Not a big deal, but I'm not happy with my results here. I started with exactly 3/16" stock, because I was too tired to turn it down from anything bigger.

I've found that it's much easier to turn thin items down from fat stock, which seems counterintuitive -- after all, if your stock is already the right diameter, it's less work to finish, right? Nope. If it's a really narrow piece, say, less than 3/4", then you just can't stick it out very far from the end of the chuck, and that makes dancing your tool around it much harder.

senior-lady-looking-above-glasses-20600288.jpg
Please, tell me more about this dancing tool of yours.
:p

The formula for allowable length from the end of the chuck gives you 4x the diameter of the stock piece without support on the other end, and sticking a live center on the end of such a tiny piece makes things more difficult. If you stick the workpiece out any farther without support, the high speed rotation starts to distort the shape of the stock, and you can end up with anything from garbage to serious injury.

For the emitter piece above, I could stick out much farther than 4x the diameter because (1) the taper removes material from the end, making it lighter than the rest of the stock and thus safer to turn farther out; and (2) I was going at relatively low speeds -- 80rpm or so for the taper, and 230rpm or so for the sanding.

So tonight, I'm going to turn it down from some 5/8" rod stock I have on hand, and I'm sure I'll have a much better time with it. As it is, the parting tool just kept ruining my piece, so I had to saw it off. It'll do just fine since only the last 3/16" or so sticks out from the pistol body, but I'm gonna turn a couple more in case I make other midgrades or for trades.

IMG_0143.JPG

So that wraps up the wrapup! Here's the result of my last two days' labors:

IMG_0144.JPG

Not bad if I do say so myself! And I do. Because massive ego. :p

Last edited:
Turned out a decent hero emitter last night (Tuesday), but my drilling didn't center properly. I don't think the lathe still has any wobble, because the outside is turning so beautifully. I think I may have turned too fast at some point and slightly distorted the emitter. At any rate, rather than try to dial it in forever, I'm just going to turn the outside on the lathe, mark my centers for drilling, then make the actual holes on the mill. It's dead vertical, and goes all the way down to 60 rpm. The drill press only goes as slow as 150, and that's still fast enough to overheat the plastic. Pix & details later today if I get up in time, tomorrow if not (gotta be back on the lathe at 3:30pm). All in all, though, a great day. :)

Last edited:
Great progress man!
Thanks! Turns out having a proper lathe makes a huge difference. Possibly even a YUUUUUGE difference.

c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800.jpg

And as combover-in-chief, I want two things done. First, find Cyrano Jones...

So, hero emitter... not quite, but damn close!

Here's the start...

IMG_0145.JPG

And we'll take the tapering as read, since I didn't do anything different from the last post.

IMG_0147.JPG

And then I did all the sanding up to 2000 grit wet (again just using the oil, which BTW is Tap Magic).

IMG_0149.JPG

Then the drilling, which is where I went a little astray...

IMG_0150.JPGIMG_0152.JPG

The sort of grainy appearance is caused by turning too fast during the drilling. The plastic overheats and actually melts, though at this point I hadn't realized it. All I could see was that the plastic around the drill point took on a white, foamy appearance, but I hadn't connected the dots yet. I finally figured it out when I pulled out from my last plunge, and instead of regular clear chips coming out, I got brittle, white sticks. The chips had fused together in the heat, and crapped up the inside wall.

IMG_0153.JPG

But I'm not gonna learn enough if I just quit now, so I turned down the base till it properly fit my JL nozzle. Guess what -- his inside diameter is also 5/16". I'm sensing a pattern...

And at this point, I'm praying nothing breaks. Also saying several Hail Marys. For real.

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG

Yay!

Now I chuck it in facing the other way, and part off that little nubbin on the end.
IMG_0156.JPG

So now I decided two things: First, I was gonna slow my turns WAY down for drilling. Second, I decided to plunge my center drill farther in than necessary just to start my drill point, so that the little 3mm GOW bulb can slip in a little more easily.

IMG_0157.JPG

At this point, the drilling went perfectly, except for the line-up issue due to whatever bending or wobbling happened during turning. Not exactly the Chunnel project, but it worked.

IMG_0158.JPGIMG_0159.JPGIMG_0160.JPG

See the difference? Crappy at the front, where I turned too fast, crystal-clear in back, where I slowed way down. So I've definitely solved that problem, and my next attempt should come out great. As I said last post, I'll just turn and part on the lathe, and drill my holes on the mill, rather than try to figure out exactly where and how I'm getting a wobble or distortion. My best theory is that when I overheated the front end, I maybe bent the end of the emitter, and the straightness of the rear hole (till it meets the front one) seems to back that up.

OTOH, maybe I'll give it another whack on the lathe after all. I do enjoy a good whack. :p

maxresdefault.jpg

Never seen a man do so much whackin'...
:p

Attachments

• IMG_0145.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    903.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0147.JPG
    IMG_0147.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0149.JPG
    IMG_0149.JPG
    880.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0152.JPG
    IMG_0152.JPG
    760.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0154.JPG
    IMG_0154.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0155.JPG
    IMG_0155.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0156.JPG
    IMG_0156.JPG
    906.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0157.JPG
    IMG_0157.JPG
    1,021.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0158.JPG
    IMG_0158.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    1,015.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0160.JPG
    IMG_0160.JPG
    1,016.2 KB · Views: 82
Nice work. But remember the through hole on the hero steps down to a smaller diameter at the tip.
It is a smaller diameter -- it's just so screwed up in there, you can't tell. Also, my larger bit was too large by 1/64" or so. The next one will be better, I just need more time to think about my method to make sure I don't bend my piece as I work it, as well as turning it more efficiently. I'm leaning toward turning the whole thing down to 5/16" first, then doing the taper. That would probably go faster.*

I bagged the acrylic today, though -- I felt like doing up some metal. So I turned a whole bunch of side dial rings (all I'll ever need plus a few more for trades, and I still have leftover stock), and I got a P1 brass emitter collar done. I've got one perfect one done after a few attempts at dialing in my approach to it, and I still want to give it a little more thought so it's not quite so painful. Pix and details tomorrow! :)

*[EDIT -- Screw that. Just laid in some 5/16" cast acrylic. May not work, but if it does, it'll save a lot of time. Since I have to slow my speed way down anyway, I don't think wobble's going to be a problem anymore.]

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back