Phaser 1 Kit Buildup plus MM P2 Restoration

Re: John Long Phaser 1 Kit Buildup plus MM P2 Restoration

Interesting!

Just thinking out loud, I think when it's done I'll 3D print a stand for it to match the Wand one, only this one will have to have little studs for the handle to slip onto instead of a magnet. It would be nice to display them side by side. :)

The Wand Company matched the overall weight to the GJ, give or take a couple grams. I think they said their handle is a bit heavier, but it matches overall and gives it better balance.

robin1 I think something in between asalaw's handle weight and the wand handle weight would be good, say maybe 4oz or what ever feels right.:)

Interesting!

Just thinking out loud, I think when it's done I'll 3D print a stand for it to match the Wand one, only this one will have to have little studs for the handle to slip onto instead of a magnet. It would be nice to display them side by side. :)

That would be nice to see what you come up with.:) One magnetic pulse and who knows what will happen with these darn magnets.:D

It's like the scales of justice.
newhandle_zpsb4b406de.jpg

Holy Macaroni! That looks soooo nice! Where did you get that part to replace the Wand handle with brass tang nut and butterfly plate?

SpacerOne, are you considering putting straight wand style prongs to keep the handle from twisting?

Last edited:

Holy Macaroni! That looks soooo nice! Where did you get that part to replace the Wand handle with brass tang nut and butterfly plate?

SpacerOne, are you considering putting straight wand style prongs to keep the handle from twisting?

redshirt I picked up the parts at the Federationphaser.tk scifiprops store.
Top link is to the store and bottom link is the one I bought and painted.
I was thinking about adding the prongs at first but I twisted handle on and it held nice and tight without moving so I'm not sure yet if I will add the prongs.
I want to test it a little more to see how it holds up.

http://scifiprops.ecrater.com/c/795528/my-products

http://scifiprops.ecrater.com/p/21589347/star-trek-tos-phaser-plastic#

replacementhandle_zps5bf2e987.jpg

The handle looks really nice and fits onto the wand p2 and also fits inside the case.:)

replacementhandleincase_zpsd19b776f.jpg

Are there magnets in the handle on the Sci Fi Props handle to help it mate to the magnetic stand?

Are there magnets in the handle on the Sci Fi Props handle to help it mate to the magnetic stand?

No magnets inside but plenty of room inside to add a little extra weight or even batteries.
The thin metal butterfly plate on the very bottom must be steel or iron because magnets stick to it.

Here it is all together.
replacementwithwand_zpsaf920cfa.jpg

So the metal buttplate holds well to the Wand baseplate with the fully assembled new handle and the Wand p2/p1?

Wow! That looks amazing! Did you paint that with the Rustoleum? Looks like a dead match for the Wand! :)

Cool! Any chance at all you could get a comparison photo in sunlight, preferably on something white? I'm dying to see it, and I had to cancel my Wand order. :)

Well, I just ordered the Sci Fi Props painted handle version for a bit more. I hope the paint looks as good as yours.

I got the hubble gasket too. Why not go for as much accuracy as possible, like the amazing handle asalaw is doing here.

Cool! Any chance at all you could get a comparison photo in sunlight, preferably on something white? I'm dying to see it, and I had to cancel my Wand order. :)

Sorry asalaw no time to get shots of it in the sun. But I did take photos of it directly under two different light sources.
The first photo lighting is your average old fashion incandescent soft white light bulb and the second photo is under a fluorescent light.

softlight_zpsb915762b.jpg

fluorescentlight_zps1215a0f5.jpg

How does the weight of the Sci Fi Props handle feel like when it's all assembled?

redshirt when the handle is all put together it feels ok but I was just trying to make the weight as accurate as I can to the real one
so I figured I add enough weight to be some where between asalaw handle weight of 3.oz (with batteries) and the wand handle weight of 5.oz which
may be a little heavy than the original handle. So I figured 4 oz may be a good weight.

Yeah, I'm going to add some lead model kit rod weights in the battery compartment in mine. Should be sweet. Great pics BTW.

Really interesting! I see you put a gloss coat on your handle. It looks a bit darker than the Wand one. Any way you could put a spritz of bronze on a piece of paper or something to compare to the Wand?

redshirt I picked up the parts at the Federationphaser.tk scifiprops store.
Top link is to the store and bottom link is the one I bought and painted.
I was thinking about adding the prongs at first but I twisted handle on and it held nice and tight without moving so I'm not sure yet if I will add the prongs.
I want to test it a little more to see how it holds up.

http://scifiprops.ecrater.com/c/795528/my-products

http://scifiprops.ecrater.com/p/21589347/star-trek-tos-phaser-plastic#

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n547/spacerone1/replacementhandle_zps5bf2e987.jpg
The handle looks really nice and fits onto the wand p2 and also fits inside the case.:)

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n547/spacerone1/replacementhandleincase_zpsd19b776f.jpg

Sorry to interrupt you guy's. I was just wondering If this place take's Paypal? just says checks and money order's..

Sorry to interrupt you guy's. I was just wondering If this place take's Paypal? just says checks and money order's..

I bought plenty of times from him using both checks and money orders with no problems.
I used paypal once also but it is best to ask him first. I know he likes to have extra time to have his work
finished on his parts and stuff before the payment gets to him. He's told me that a few times.
Anyway just ask him he is a good guy to deal with.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back