Phase II Enterprise Study Model

Small update…

I've been wrapped up in work, so I haven't been able to devote as much attention to the model as I'd like. And it'll be another week or so before I can give it the time I'd like to.

One of the issues I felt like I needed to address was the painting of the model (which looks like it is approaching pretty soon). Because I've decided to attempt some stuff on this model that will be quite different from what I've done before, I realized that I couldn't easily use my Constellation model as a guinea pig. So I threw together a few spare parts I had laying around to do a color test.

Here are the results…

p2_1701_064.jpg

The parts are sitting on a color sample I was attempting to find a good match for. And for a quick-n-dirty test run, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Geez, I've been so busy with some of my own projects lately I forgot to come back to this :p I'd say your colour test you did on those spare parts looks good, Shaw. It's a pretty close match from what I can tell.

As for your post prior to your last, though that may have been the long way of saying there's not so much conjecture involved as one might think, it goes to show your dedication to this project and getting it just right.

I can certainly appreciate your efforts to get your new set of plans as close to Jeffries' original concept as you can, with as little speculation as possible.

Given how enamoured I've become with the Phase II design, I thank you for all the information you so generously share with us, no matter how long some of the posts may be :)

ya know, since your eventually going to build a bigger model of the phase II, youll NEED a dry dock :D

I found these pics a few months back

3351497824_6c68b8399c_o.jpg

3351498142_0d3402ef7b_o.jpg

As for your post prior to your last, though that may have been the long way of saying there's not so much conjecture involved as one might think, it goes to show your dedication to this project and getting it just right.

I can certainly appreciate your efforts to get your new set of plans as close to Jeffries' original concept as you can, with as little speculation as possible.

Given how enamoured I've become with the Phase II design, I thank you for all the information you so generously share with us, no matter how long some of the posts may be :)
Thanks!

Yeah, I think for some people the differences between the original Jefferies design and the studio model may not seem like much, but I think of it as a way of honoring both Jefferies and Price/Loos by separating the two. And it is especially helpful to know that there are others who will appreciate that effort.

Honestly, the more information I compile (specially on things other than the studio model), the more I'd love to do a book on The Art of Star Trek Phase II. I figure if I can get these plans done and sketch out what is available about the preproduction of that series, I might be able to sell the idea and get funding to incorporate the help of some other skilled researchers and artists to help flesh out what the series might have looked like had it made it.

Well, small steps first.

ya know, since your eventually going to build a bigger model of the phase II, youll NEED a dry dock :D

I found these pics a few months back
Actually, I had originally considered building one for this model... thinking that because of the scale it would be more manageable. But when I sketched out the dock over the diagrams I realized that (for a roughly 22.8" model) the dock would be nearly 34" long.

p2_spacedock_scale.jpg

And then when trying to figure out how to replicate the girders, I realized it was going to be a pretty big undertaking. Before that, I don't think I had given the guys at Magicam enough credit for the model elements they had worked on for Phase II because I was focused on the Enterprise.

Thanks!

Yeah, I think for some people the differences between the original Jefferies design and the studio model may not seem like much, but I think of it as a way of honoring both Jefferies and Price/Loos by separating the two. And it is especially helpful to know that there are others who will appreciate that effort.

Honestly, the more information I compile (specially on things other than the studio model), the more I'd love to do a book on The Art of Star Trek Phase II. I figure if I can get these plans done and sketch out what is available about the preproduction of that series, I might be able to sell the idea and get funding to incorporate the help of some other skilled researchers and artists to help flesh out what the series might have looked like had it made it.

Well, small steps first.

[...]

I agree it's only fair to honour the work both Jefferies and Price/Loos each did on thier part, and separating both helps others to focus on which version of the Phase II design they like best.

Personally, I'm more of a "purist" and like you am more interested in the original design as conceptualized by Jefferies than the altered design Price/Loos made into physical form.

Of course, if the Price/Loos model found its way into my lap I wouldn't say no, lol. It's just I'm more focused on seeing the Enterprise redesign as it was originally intended.

Btw, I think a "The Art of Star Trek: Phase II" book would be an awesome undertaking! Good luck to you, if you ever get to working toward that.

I've been debating some of the aspects of the Price/Loos model and what I would personally do if I were to build a model from parts pulled from the original molds. While the original studio model was in an advance state when the plug was pulled on Phase II, it wasn't finished. There was a real possibility that Jefferies would have invested more time in the following months as production of Little House on the Prairie finished and things that Price/Loos missed when looking at Jefferies' plans would have been corrected/modified.

And these were generally small things, which is why my study model and the incomplete studio model look very much alike. Price/Loos did a very good job of bringing Jefferies design into a physical form (under the pressure of a deadline).

I was able to string together some time over the last weeks and finally made the molds and cast the nacelle front caps.

p2_1701_067.jpg

After trimming down the nacelle fronts and cutting off the front of the nacelles, I did a test fitting...

p2_1701_068.jpg

I had made too much of the resin and poured the rest into the nacelle dome molds for my TOS Enterprise. Included in the image above is a dome that I polished and hit with a gloss coat, which show how the finish on the final parts should look like when I'm done.

I know that some people have made this model with blue front nacelle. The blue versions are based on Mike Minor's artwork, but Minor was actually out of the loop when it came to the later design of the Phase II Enterprise. All his work seemed to have been based on early Jefferies drawings or the modified AMT kit Price had done early on.

The thing is, with this design even the people who were in the loop were still out of the loop.

While Jefferies had taken great pains to include tons of details in his plans for Price/Loos to follow, the density of those details hid them during the model's construction. Heck, studying Jefferies drawings without the pressure of a looming deadline, I missed many of the same details as Price/Loos for years.

Price/Loos had very limited access to Jefferies (who was working on location on Little House on the Prairie), and the rest of the people working on Phase II had almost none at all. Jefferies had drawn up the plans for the Enterprise in his hotel room in the evenings after working all day on Little House on the Prairie.

But yeah, for Jefferies the visual language of TOS was to carry over to Phase II. The Enterprise was to be the same color (based on the color of the 33 inch studio model) and the warp engines were to light up similarly (including the blue glow behind the grills that they couldn't add during TOS). Even the deflector assembly, which returned to being a more integrated design like Jefferies originally had it in 1964, was still going to be copper with a silver emitter (Minor thought there was still going to be a dish because Price had included it on the modified AMT model, and Minor painted the retooled AMT dish in his paintings).

The other thing to keep in mind was that Minor was originally given the task of designing the Phase II Enterprise based on input from Jefferies. This is where the "Endeavor" class came from (first seen in the Mandel/Drexler Enterprise Officers Manual). Eventually Jefferies decided to make the time in his schedule to redesign the Enterprise himself. Minor went from playing a big role to not having much access towards the end, and then played a much bigger role in TMP.

What is interesting is the role lighting played on the Enterprise. In TMP most of the warp lighting effects were eliminated and more fine details were added in, and the warp nacelle lighting was eliminated completely for both the Reliant and Excelsior models. Yet a couple years later the TNG Enterprise returned to nacelle lighting that echoed what was intended for Phase II. It seemed like lighting effects were considered an important part of bringing life to models on low resolution TV screens.

So I understand why people went with blue for the front of the nacelles, but it was never in the running as a possible color for the show. Red was, but that was because of the replacement domes on the 11 foot model in the Smithsonian at the time... which was also why the TNG Enterprise used red.

Beautiful work on this enterprise . Matt Jefferies knew how to design this ship and evolve it
Elegant and graceful. Can't wait to see more pictures !

Thanks guys!

Not quite an update, but I thought you guys might find this interesting. These shots include parts of my TOS (11 foot) Enterprise study model in them. The thing is, both models are at 1/500 scale. Part of the reason for building both at this scale was to be able to do side-by-side comparisons (and both models should be just under 23 inches when finished).

p2_1701_070.jpg

I dont think anyone else had put this much thought into the Phase II Enterprise, including the original designers. This is one of the highlights of the forum for me.

Is the saucer diameter on the Phase 2 the same as the TOS? I thought it was supposed to be a little larger, like how the TMP ship ultimately ended up.

Thanks guys!

Is the saucer diameter on the Phase 2 the same as the TOS? I thought it was supposed to be a little larger, like how the TMP ship ultimately ended up.
So Jefferies changed some things, but held onto others. For example, yes, the diameter of the primary hull was increased, but the deck levels of the primary hull are the same as in TOS. And the length of the secondary hull is the same as in TOS, but it isn't cone shaped any more. Add those changes to the shorter nacelles and you end up with a starship that is about 950 feet long.

For TMP the secondary hull and nacelles were lengthened giving an overall length of 985 feet... had they stuck with Jefferies' scale. They didn't, and Probert rounded the TMP version up to 1000 feet.

Some of the design elements (like the shape of the secondary hull and the B/C deck structure) had started showing up in Jefferies' drawings of the Enterprise as early as 1966, so those elements were just how the Enterprise was in Jefferies' mental image of her. As for the change in the primary hull diameter, I'm not sure why he did that (other than for esthetics) because it wasn't really justified in the pilot script (the Enterprise was mostly to seem unchanged for the audience).

With the exception of the weapons assembly on the base of the dorsal, most of the changes were elements that Jefferies always wanted to apply to the Enterprise... specially the nacelles because he didn't like the TOS versions. His ideas for changing them in 1965/66 ended up being used for the foundation of the Klingon battle cruiser design in 1967.

I don't know about anyone else, but the first time I saw an early poster for TMP my first reaction was "why are there Klingon engines on the Enterprise?" Of course by the time I saw the Enterprise on opening they didn't seem nearly as Klingon as in the poster, but now I know why there was a similarity, that was how Jefferies would have gone with the Enterprise design had he had a bit more time to work on the design in 1964.

And speaking of nacelles, here is the grill parts placed on the nacelles (not glued on just yet though)...

p2_1701_071.jpg

Well, at some point you have to let the model stand on it's own. After all, I can't be standing by to hold it up all the time, it'll have to deal with gravity on it's own if it is ever to be finished.

So here it is, held together with some tape (missing the nacelle support carriages at this point), but aligned pretty much on fit alone.

p2_1701_072.jpg

This is way better than I thought it would do at this point.

Thanks!

The closer I get to finishing this model, the more I want to build a larger (lit) version to show more of the details that Jefferies intended for the design. I'd love to do a studio scale version (at about 64 inches long) but I might have an easier time at building something twice the scale of this model (at about 46 inches long).

Well, I was about to pull the model apart when I decided to add on a few more elements and borrowed the stand from my two-thirds scale 33 inch TOS Enterprise. I also decided to shoot it from the other side this time.

p2_1701_073.jpg

I included a shot of the original studio model under construction even though this model is more reflective of Jefferies' version of the design.

Beautiful. You're really doing the design, and Jefferies, a ton of credit. :)

I second that! I think he'd be proud to see what you're doing with it, bringing everything he'd hoped to put into this design to life after all this time. Absolutely stunning, sir! And it's not even finished yet :p lol

I hear ya on building this beauty in a larger scale. Now that we're finally getting to see a true physical representation of Jefferies' design as he always intended it to be, it just begs to be done bigger to really show off all the details.

I still plan on doing up a 1/350 scale build of this (still have the blueprint laid out on my drafting table), scavenging some useful parts from one of my two junked 1/350 PL Refit E's to build upon. I just have so many other projects I haven't been able to find the time, lol.

I definitely want to add this to my own collection, though. Using this very insightful research thread as a guideline, I'm hopeful I'll be able to do it justice as you have.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back