Phantasm Sphere? too many, or not enough?

TylerHam

Hi All -

I was never a fan of the film, but I love the ball - And I notice there arent a lot of Phantasm ball kits out there that I can find -

Is it because there isn't enough demand? Or is it that everyone who wants one, already has one?

Seems easy enough to make, which is why seeing so few is a bit confusing - Unless Im not looking in the right place (And I havent been searching for a long time, just a day or so)

I don't have one but may get it someday... a working version.
EvilGrin.gif

I always loved the elegant simplicity of the sentry sphere; a utilitarian killing machine!

Yep, I did a couple runs years ago. I wanted the prop to just feel real so I rode my very talented # 1 about getting a rig together that would allow us to machine a solid metal sphere...no easy task turning a block of aluminum into a sphere.

I didn't want to use toilet bowl floats or garden spheres with seems; it had to be a flawless, solid metal sphere. The problem with such things are, not everyone can appreciate the machining process and found the cost prohibitive. Anyway, it was just too much trouble so I retired them.

I've always planned to revisit the prop one day, but couldn't possible even consider it until next fall. I'll be sure and let you guys know, but my plate is just too full for now.

Thanks for the kind words though. Hang in there. Sooner or later I'll do them again. Hell, I need one myself since I'm a dirty prop tramp & can't hang on to my own stuff!

-Rylo

Depends on which sphere you're talking about. Those things were like Trek phasers; just all over the place from production to production and depending on which piece we're talking about. The working piece from the first film was just a half sphere while the balls being zinged up and down the halls were smaller. The general rule is bigger than a baseball but smaller than a softball depending on which film you're watching. I have some production measurements around here somewhere. No idea where they are now, but I'll look.

From what I gather the sphere is something like 15" (4.75" diameter)

Is this correct??

My problem with Rylo's version is that the blades snap off before the drill bit penetrates the skull. Luckily the orb is heavy and solid enough I could finish the job with a bludgeoning.

Did you ever sell these on Ebay, Rylo? I think I have one of yours. It's easily one of the most recognizable and awesome props. I can't thank you enough if I have yours. I'm pretty sure of it.

I'm sure a couple ended up there. I try and keep most things here though.

If it's solid metal, it's one of mine. Should weigh just over a pound if I remember correctly.

Thank you for the kind words. Very nice of you. :)

-Rylo

Did you ever sell these on Ebay, Rylo? I think I have one of yours. It's easily one of the most recognizable and awesome props. I can't thank you enough if I have yours. I'm pretty sure of it.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back