Personal Story Props

TheIrishTwit

hey guys, i am a writer/director and have come up with some drafts for the props for the movie i am writing/directing. am i the only one that does this? or does anyone else out there do this too? thats actually the reason i joined this site. i could use some tips to help me with my custom props, if you have any feel free to leave tips and suggestions, i would really appreciate the help

Lots of tips and techniques buried all around, you just have to dig them up. :)

Feel free to tell us what kind of props you're interested in making, narrow down the field somewhat and I'm sure folks will suggest similar projects to look at for inspiration. As it is, you've left the field wiiiide open. :)

And welcome to the RPF.

thank you very much and i will definitely dig around. i was looking to make this tool called an optic wrench or ... well I'm open to suggestions but it is similar to shape and size as a sonic screwdriver. and also an optic separator (if you couldn't tell i kind of like optics a little bit) which is about as big around as the top of a large sized mag light flashlight from top to bottom, kind of like the hilt of a lo-tech lightsaber i suppose. also, a shield that is just a bracer with a projected circle of pure energy and two mid-sized katanas with plasma edges. anything like those last two would be much appreciated. i already have an idea about what the first two are going to look like, it's just a matter of making them work

thank you very much and i will definitely dig around. i was looking to make this tool called an optic wrench or ... well I'm open to suggestions but it is similar to shape and size as a sonic screwdriver. and also an optic separator (if you couldn't tell i kind of like optics a little bit) which is about as big around as the top of a large sized mag light flashlight from top to bottom, kind of like the hilt of a lo-tech lightsaber i suppose. also, a shield that is just a bracer with a projected circle of pure energy and two mid-sized katanas with plasma edges. anything like those last two would be much appreciated. i already have an idea about what the first two are going to look like, it's just a matter of making them work

Hey TheIrishTwit,

there are tons of info on custom props to find. However, if it´s for a fan film, then have fun! But don´t forget that if you also want to direct the movie, you will need people to do the rest of the movie, and those people want to have fun, too. This is especially important if they have to work for free. So, if you manage to do everything in personal union, then go for it! But if you need a PD or AD, or props master, then you can of course set up a direction into which they shall go, but leave them enough room to play around.

Ridley Scott does a lot of sketching when working on a movie, it´s more like storyboarding or mood boarding, but I think I saw sketches for Deckard´s apartment that he did in collaboration with his PD.

mise-en-scene

So, sketch away!!!

Michael

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back