Pegasus Martian War Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNeill

Sr Member
I don't know about you guys but I have always wanted a model of this machine. So I got a Pegasus off Amazon for 14 bucks and order one of Randy's lighting kits from www.voodoofx.com

The video tells mostly all. One thing I left out is the light blocking. I found primer alone did the job and no black was needed.

The other thing I didn't talk about is the CA I used to hold the top and bottom together. We all know CA isn't the best on styrene. However if I ever need to get this model apart all I have to do is flex it and it will pop cleanly apart should I ever need to replace a light. Even the putty on the seams breaks clean so there's very little to repair.

I've seen it several times on this forum where LEDs for what ever reason stop working. This could be a life saver in that case. Try a test. I did.

The secret is to use very little at key points. This model fits together so well you hardly need it.

This was just the short fun break for the weekend I needed.

Steve

‪Pegasus Martian War Machine‬‏ - YouTube

IMG_7692.jpg

IMG_7690.jpg

IMG_7689.jpg

‪Pegasus Martian War Machine‬‏ - YouTube

I have one of these here I am just getting ready to start. Thanks for posting the build and the ideas for improvement.

Nice job! I built and lit one of these for Bob Burns recently. It was a really fun build.

I'm glad to hear that Tony. Bob and my wife Gilly have been friends of Bob's and Kathy since the 70s. I was wondering if he got one. Did you know he puppeteered for me Mac Tonight's mouth? The three of us did that character for years and did Gorilla shoots together in our suits.

Steve

This is such a cool kit, I've been wanting something like this for years and I finally have one!

I want to make the cobra neck flexible, just don't know how to do it.

Rob I thought about that too. I'm big into RC planes and boats and you could do it with a cheap radio control unit and make it turn and bend. Two small servos you could put in the base that pull on cables. One turns the base of the neck and the other bends the neck. Trust me you can do it.

Steve

...Two small servos you could put in the base that pull on cables. One turns the base of the neck and the other bends the neck...

Thanks but I wasn't even thinking of motorizing it! I'll be happy with something I could flex by hand, I just can't figure out how. Maybe molding the neck and casting it in rubber, but I'd rather have it be jointed somehow.

Guess I'll just settle for having it turn, that'll be easy enough.

I have one of these here I am getting ready to go. Thank you for posting in the building and ideas for improvements.

You are welecome.

Thanks but I wasn't even thinking of motorizing it! I'll be happy with something I could flex by hand, I just can't figure out how. Maybe molding the neck and casting it in rubber, but I'd rather have it be jointed somehow.

Guess I'll just settle for having it turn, that'll be easy enough.

Rob just cut the neck into sections and use some polyethylene tubing inside it that you cut little sections out of on the inside of the bend. Then when you pull a cable through it it will bend the tubing in the direction of the cut out sections. they are pie cut shaped. We use to do this all the time in the studios to make fake hands flex their fingers. Try it. It works with any tubing really.

Steve

Oh wow, Mac Tonight! That goes back a few years. Wasn't Doug Jones in that suit?

I'm currently building that big mother of a C57D kit for Bob & Kathy. Building one for myself at the same time. Needless to say, it's going to take a lot longer than the Martian War Machine did.

Just watched your video. Your version looks great. I got the model a couple of years ago and want to do a lighting setup as well. I noticed the problem of diffusion, too. You didn't say (or I missed it) whether you sprayed the diffusion paint on the inside or outside of the transparent green parts. Also, can one adjust the time on the cobra eye light fades?
Thanks.

Oh, I had meant to ask: have you considered using the light tape that was used on the costumes in Tron Legacy? Seems like that might be a great way to get even lighting throughout the front window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back