Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike

Thanks Rudd, I wanted the practice laying out the paint scheme, (seeing what I like and don't like about it), and they look cool for mock ups, all the mold making tutorials I've studied always say that the better your plugs look, the better your molds will come out, hopefully these will survive the process, now that we kinda know what we're doing.

I highly doubt they will survive the demolding process, unless you're going with a silicone mold. But based on your prep work I'm guessing you'll be doing another fiberglass mold. Getting a master out in tact is a tough proposition, especially with a piece this deep. Will you be going with a 2 part mold for the sides?

Yes, definitely going with a two piece fiberglass mold, as you said, they are too deep for a one piece, our first plugs got damaged because we didn't use enough release agent, after some experimentation, we got more comfortable with subsequent pulls and dialing in the procedure, now they pop out like butter.

Thanks everybody for the kind words and likes, this is the last go around and we wanted to hit as close to the bulls eye as possible, I'm very happy with what we were able to accomplish so far, This has been a fun project, and wouldn't have been possible without the hard work and dedication of my dad and brother and the helpful input of some key members on this thread, I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel!, I'm even thinking I might get 'er done this summer, unless the light I see is a Train coming to run me down!

Last edited:
So you must have a seam line running right down the middle that you have a to clean up then, huh? Not a big deal at all, but that's one advantage of a silicone mold. Peeling that mold off like a glove and then immediately being able to lay up a new set without worrying about waxing, or PVA is a real time saver.

Yeah, it is more tedious and messy, but I think it yields a better result, there is a small seam line you have to sand down but it's not a problem, I've only used silicone molds for very small pieces like jewelry, we're hot rodders and all have old cars and have limited experience with prop making and mold making, etc., so we all agreed that two piece fiberglass molds would hold up better doing multiple pulls with the larger pieces, we just went with what we knew the most about.

Nothing wrong with that. Fiberglass molds are more tedious, but a whole lot cheaper and work great. I'd love to see some pictures of your molds.

IMG_0336.JPGIMG_0337.JPG

Hey everyone, found this chrome spray paint. Works pretty good! The chrome post in the middle is factory chrome and the two posts on either side of it are chrome paint. The starting surface wasn't as smooth as it could have been, so you see pitting but overall it looks good. Can't really tell unless you REALLY look at it. Don't think it'll work for saddle bags but for little nuts and bolts or misc items its fine!

Alright! Glad they made it there safely. About that chrome paint, in my experience most metallic and chrome paints especially dont hold up to wear. They usually turn dull grey if you use a clear coat as well. It will be interesting to see how it holds up over time.

kev, that frame looks gorgeous.

Anyone have any dimensions for the fender slot in the rear console? Length, width, and a reference point?

a good way to do it is to tape in a large enough piece of tracing paper, have someone hover the bag over the area where it will be at, then lightly draw or shade the area or shape that needs the cut out. Then transfer that to cardboard to make a test piece. Then try and transfer to wood or whatever the final material will be.

right off the bat you should figure out the fender width and draw in some reference points/line on the sample papers to get you centered.

Looks like I'm in over my head again. I've gone into another phase, so it looks like I'm gonna be balancing building the bike and a Jack Sparrow costume at the same time.

Looks like I'm in over my head again. I've gone into another phase, so it looks like I'm gonna be balancing building the bike and a Jack Sparrow costume at the same time.
Jack Sparrow can't ride a bike and drink rum at the same time. Besides I dont think bikes were invented in his time yet, hehe What a mash!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back