Paper prop catalogue

ok the database is still in the planning stage at the momnet i'm making sure that the information will be available 24/7/365 before i start to upload any files also once this is done it will be a few months before it will be available for browsing due to the imence amount of files etc to be catalogued but i will keep you all imformed

That's an ingenious idea, especially for newcomers such as myself. No rude replies to questions "that have been discussed previously".

ok another note on this a couple of members sent me private emails as they did not want to pm incase of complications....

it has been sugested that the catalogue be for premium members only or at least members that have 100+ post count and activly contributing to the forum.

this is to protect peoples work and to have some control over who has access.

I'd like to keep my views on this private as i do not want to influence anybody elses - WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS ON THIS ????

On the drive / backup idea:
I think this a great idea!

On creating an 'elite' access group:
thats just an stupid idea... this is an open forum in which people can share etc. why would you want to hide the good stuff? in addition to this: I'm an active propper and have already build 3 helmets. however I don't get to post too much on this forum for various reasons. If you want >100 posts - okay - I will jus randomly start posting nonsense messages to each sub-forum until I have 100+ posts...

This is a free forum to help each other...

I'm a newbie but have created a Pep file that is unique and not based on any other work which I'd be willing to share (Star Trek Phaser Rifle III) so I'd prefer that this is not 'Elitist'. Certainly willing for vetting to take place though...

Hey,

Whole idea of paper props drive/database is great.

Im also quite new here and mostly done some paper props only because Im missing workshop facilities at the moment. I have plenty of plans to do many kind of props. With bigger projects its easier to get post count higher, but I dont want to post if i dont have anything to post. But Ive done some 24 ID Badge's and shared them in here for everyones free use.

How paper props database should be accessed? I really dont know the right answer. But I really like the idea of free paper props and ive been watching some BTTF newspaper threads where people are together working to make as screen accurate as possible paper props. Ive never been on forum where is this kind of almost unique atmosphere.

Just trying to say, we shouldnt screw it putting insane access reguirements. Also new people without hundreds of post can do great work in here!

so by the sounds of it everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet as me no to the preminum member Idea but "still" under discussion about the post count idea - or should that be full members after there "40" post trial period ?

what you think ?

I think being a full member of the forum would be fair, if there is any restriction at all in place. I don't think anything more than that is going to make much difference. Count me as another big no to needing to be a premium member too.

Hey again,

I was thinking this again and I want to say one more thing. I definitely think that the free paper prop section is very easy and nice way to start with props. Like myself and probably many other new also might not have access to a workshops and tools to make bigger props even they would want to do.

If we are thinking littlebit further in future, new starters can get better making free paper props and they are easily introduced the quality level what most of the free stuff is. They (me also) are kind of growing in to the community. Never knows how cool stuff they could do after couple years. At least their dreams and enthusiasm hasnt been killed with "Post 100 cool post and you may get a lollipop"-thinking.

But if somekind of requirements is needed, the 40 post for access sounds ok.

I think there are two different ideas here (as I see it), I will outline them and give my views:

1. An Index/catalogue of the Paper Props available on this forum.
  2. A backup of all the Paper Prop available on this forum.

1. Index/Catalogue

This is a great idea (but a hell of a lot of work for someone). Over on the Harry Potter sub forum Decat has done a fantastic job of doing just that check it out if you haven't seen it.
I'm not sure how or even if this would work for the main Paper Props forum. Perhaps a list of all Movies/TV Shows/Games etc. with a link to each thread....
This would be very useful, especially for new members, and also for those of us looking at creating "new" props to see if they have been done before (the search facility can be a bit hit or miss), the only downside is that some of the older files are no longer available (for whatever reason), which can get a little frustrating sometimes), it would be better if the files were uploaded to the RPF, however this isn't always practical, due to file sizes...which is where point 2 comes in...

2. Backup/Database of Paper Props

In principal I like the idea, however I have a few reservations, the files would have to be accessible at all times, this means unless they are stored on their own server, they will need to be stored in the "cloud" which could cost a bit. Another problem would be who would have access, ideally it should be available to all RPF members (with qualifying criteria of some kind) however how would this work, once qualified you get a link and/or password? It is somehow linked to your RPF account (not sure if this would even be possible) to gain access? The main concern I see, and I may be wrong here, is that having all the files in one easily accessible place could open the doors for more Paper Prop Recaster/sellers to get hold of many files easily.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see either or both of these ideas come to fruition, I just think that we need to be sure of what is intended and what the possible implications could be.

Just my 2p worth.

Peter

On the other hand, depending on how user access is handled, maybe having it all centralized will make it easier for people to freely find these files for their own usage, helping decrease the chances of others successfully profiting off trying to sell them?

On the other hand, depending on how user access is handled, maybe having it all centralized will make it easier for people to freely find these files for their own usage, helping decrease the chances of others successfully profiting off trying to sell them?

That's what I always say: You can have millions of restrictions - recasters will always find a way to get your files. But: the easier it is for everyone to find and download all those files, the more difficult it is for a recaster to find buyers.

Hey,

That is a very good point. Roland and some others are doing and selling very good quality screen accurate paper props and Im always willing to support and pay for those. Those files don't belong here and its right, but maybe in the catalog there could be own section for screen accurate props? Here is plenty of good looking stuff but it would be nice to know is it screen accurate.

Off course there is also a problem. How to check is something screen accurate? And who would do all that work?

Having all files easily accessed is good idea. Im still new here and I like BTTF props, ive been trying to do some newspaper pages myself and also trying to find those from here...I can find stuff with variable quality...but there was a temptation to buy the props. And I also did that. But yes, I also think that if there is a potential customer who cant find/or do props himself, there will always be someone trying to sell stuff, and unfortunately probably someone else has made that.

Minimum of 100 posts is fine but I'm OK with 40 as well. Recasters and such can be dealt with as needed much like they are now.

nice idea like it..... im new here so some stuff that was posted along time ago sometimes links etc dont work or is not there anymore.... but a good idea would be to credit the person that made it etc on the list, this may help to stop people copying and selling as there own..... keep me in the loop :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back