Painting Stripes on a Shirt - Fight Club

Soulinertia

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've come across this problem a few times over the years, trying to get the perfect type, color and amount of stripes on an article of clothing to match screen accuracy. This time it's for a Tyler Durden shirt. One Brad Pitt wears with his seersucker suit as he's "selling rich women their own fat asses back to them".

fightclub_1908.jpg

I searched the interwebs high and low for years and have never been able to find this shirt! Not even something close. All the yellow polo's I've seen have horizontal stripes, never vertical. And the only vertical striped shirts I've seen are full button up. I'm a stickler for ASOS, so I finally decided I would just have to make my own.

I started with a vintage yellow polo I picked up at a local thrift store for $2.50 and began the tedious process of masking off the stripes using 1/16 formaline tape.

IMG_8800.jpg

IMG_8801.jpg

I ran out of blue so I switched to red.

IMG_8802.jpg

IMG_8803.jpg

IMG_8806.jpg

At this point I had run out of 1/16 tape so I masked off my area to paint first using packaging tape.

IMG_8808.jpg

I used Dye-na-flow. It's thin enough to run through my airbrush. I did a mix of the yellow and umber.

IMG_8809.jpg

Application begins

IMG_8810.jpg

Now for the fun part, peeling off the tape!

IMG_8811.jpg

IMG_8812.jpg

1st section done. I got a bit of overspray on the left side. I should have been a bit more careful, but once I got all the stripes done it isn't even noticeable.

IMG_8813.jpg

IMG_8816.jpg

Some detail shots.

IMG_8817.jpg

IMG_8818.jpg

IMG_8819.jpg

I reused the tape to mask off the second section.

IMG_8839.jpg

IMG_8840.jpg

Airbrushing

IMG_8843.jpg

IMG_8846.jpg

3rd section masked and painted

IMG_8847.jpg

IMG_8853.jpg

Now the inside of the collar

IMG_8859.jpg

IMG_8861.jpg

All of Tyler Durden's shirts are cut short midriff style so I removed the bottom 3-4 inches of shirt and re-hemmed it.

IMG_8866.jpg

IMG_8867.jpg

IMG_8873.jpg

Then I heat pressed the shirt to set the dye.

Finished product!

IMG_8868.jpg

yellowpolocompare2.jpg

yellowpolocompare.jpg

Reminds me of the Daft Punk encore Tshirt a friend of mine commissioned me to make. It's more like pinstriping a car.

Awesome job. I would have gone crosseyed WAY before you.

That is amazing. You just might be crazier than Tyler. =P

:lol Thanks!

Yeah, notice I left the sleeves and back blank. I already put way too much time into this thing, about 8hrs iirc. Definitely one of the more tedious clothing items I've tackled.

Wow. Effing impressive. The spacing in between the stripes is perfect! It's almost hard to believe you did all that by hand!

8 hours? You are a god amongst men! Do you think you could have cut your time down by 2-3 hours if you had enough of the tape to begin with and could have done most of it in one shot? None the less, this is impressive and amazing!

I did think about Spoonflower, but I'm better at airbrush than I am at sewing. In my mind it seemed far easier to just paint the stripes, even though It's time consuming, than it would be to sew up a polo shirt from scratch. Plus, I was itching to work on it right away and didn't want to wait for fabric to arrive in the mail.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back