Paint Ratios

sandhunter

Hello all!
I am getting ready to try my hand at airbrushing some latex,and would like the advice of the great painters of the lair.I have my liquitex acrylics,and pros-aide,with perma-wet for sealing.what would be the best ratios for mixing acrylics,water and pros-aide for painting?
Thanks
Chris

Thread Moved.

This has been asked many many times, and comes up every few months.

Some people mix prosaide in , others use latex mixed in instead, some do not mix either but put a basecoat of prosaide down 1st, search this section, and you will find ALOT of info on this, and may different ways to do it.

Let us not forget rubber cement paints. They may require a respirator and a pair of latex gloves, but nothing bonds better. There is no solvent that will dissolve the. If you want to use prosaide, the higher percentage of your mix that is prosaide, the better your bond will be. I have used 50/50 mix, as was the original formula for PAX, and had peeling issues on appliances, so I switched to 75% prosaide, 25% acrylic paint.

Rubber cement paints are VERY expensive, compared to acrylics.

and prosaide is NOT needed to be mixed in with Inks, you can base coat a item with Prosaide 1st then use inks on their own or thinned with isopropynol. which then save gunking up your airbrush.

and is how i have been painting my masks for a loooooooong time.

I would place Rubber cement Paints at about the same cost level as acrylics. Considering the mixed paint is probably about 20% rubber cement at most, and about 5% oil paint at most, and the rest is Naphtha or some similar solvent, not very expensive.

PAX, about the same, and Prosaide with acrylic inks and sealers, about the same.

It is all a matter of personal preference I would say. Just throwing options out there.

In my experience. I have used acrylic paints thinned down with various things. But they always manage to clog the airbrush. And there is nothing worse than cleaning out an airbrush every 5 minutes, it really kills my Mojo.

I was recomended FW INKS by a friend and I will never go back to thinning my own paints. The paint spray so smooth and they blend with each other giving you some COOL EFFECTS! Spend the money and do it right and do it ONCE!

Definitly coat the entire latex item with prosaide, I prefer to brush it on with a chip brush. Someone once told me there is no such thing as too much prosaide. It is the KEY to the paint sticking.

When you are done painting I would also suggest you clear coat the latex item. One thing I have kinda figured out through experience is that if the item is still tacky from the prosaide, even after all the layers of paint, it is ideal for painting it with permawet. The surface being tacky from prosaide REALLY bonds with your sealant.
Maybe if there is a way for you to recoat with prosaide before spraying with permawet? Or mixing prosaide into your permawet? Experiment here.

Remember none of the FW inks or acrylics will stick WITHOUT ADHESION. PROSAIDE is your friend.

And also most importantly, have fun painting! Its one of my favorite parts.

I’ve been prying open George’s head for months in regards to painting and one of the other options for post-paint, in lieu of Permawet, is to spray a straight coat (No cutting) of V-Gloss

Someone once told me there is no such thing as too much prosaide. It is the KEY to the paint sticking.

There is such a thing as too much. If it gets overly thick, it can get gummy and even distort and come off.

As for V Gloss, there is a V Matte. Both are made by Vance Hartwell, and amazing effects artist, and they are fantastic products

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back