Pacific Rim (Post-release)

I saw this in 2d as it was converted..I see no point..I have never seen a converted 3d film that I ever liked the 3d, the color correction is always off, as is everything else, it looks way out of place..but movies filmed in 3d I have no problem watching in the theater, as they are always a joy to watch!...loved this film!..hope we get to see the hour of character development that was sorely missed (IMHO), not enough character development to care that much about the people in the film, the jaw dropping battle sequences are worth the price of admission, but the 'people' parts need more, much more..:)

Good battles, everything else left alot to be desired. Idris Elba lifts the film only for it to be sunk by the 'comedy' supporting actors. Shame that the entirety of the action with Cherno Alpha and Crimson Typoon was already seen in the trailers. Could have been so, so much more.

I liked it. Mindless fun. Too much rain and water in general. The scientists almost killed it for me.
Independence Day gets ripped off once again on how to defeat the aliens.

Wow. So many here liked it. I'm surprised.

Amazing effects and giant monster fight scenes. Loved every minute.

The characters and dialogue were laughable. Seriously, stone cold sober and I did a lot of laughing.

Was supposed to be that way? I guess so.

"Rule number one. Don't touch me. Rule number two. Don't touch me." I laughed so hard, at the dialogue, not the film moment.

The film was jammed with ever last action movie cliche imaginable.

Again, I loved the giant monster stuff but I didn't think it was a good movie at all.

Yes it was full of cliched dialogue, but I think that it embraced it. GdT knew full well that he was making a derivative genre flick, so he went all-in with it.

"Gipsy Danger is ANALOG!" Hahaha what?!? Seriously? With those sophisticated virtual consoles and displays?

It was dialogue like above-mentioned, "Don't touch me,", and the hackneyed mathematician/scientist that made me really not want any more character development. Other than Mako and Stacker (Idris Elba), the characters were relatively straightforward archetypes. Raleigh's character had a little bit of dimensionality as well, but he jumped from emotionally scarred ex-pilot to super-enthusiastic & helpful pro a little too quickly.

But in my opinion, NONE OF THAT MATTERS. Fans were clearly there for the action - I know I was. And it absolutely delivered. I loved it. The Tokyo(?) battle was jaw-dropping.

I saw it in (full size) IMAX 3D, and imho, that should be the required way to see it. I'm going to see it in that format again before it's pulled from that theater. Of course, I look forward to bringing the 3D Blu-Ray home to my 60" plasma, but it's one of the few movies that I believe really need to be seen in IMAX.

I liked it. Mindless fun. Too much rain and water in general. The scientists almost killed it for me.
Independence Day gets ripped off once again on how to defeat the aliens.

I think the rain was on purpose. Notice how the with the exception of Mako's flashback the entire movie was either raining or night? Then after they close the rift they surface in calm water with the sun shining. I think it was to help reinforce the atmosphere of what was going on.

I think the rain was on purpose. Notice how the with the exception of Mako's flashback the entire movie was either raining or night? Then after they close the rift they surface in calm water with the sun shining. I think it was to help reinforce the atmosphere of what was going on.

Both the Striker Eureka fight in Australia and the Mako flashback in Japan were shot in daylight and clear skies. Any extended fight scene was shot either in the rain at night or underwater. I really believe this was done to save money; detail work isn't as demanding when you can't see it clearly.

I can accept that. However can you imagine broad daylight battles in the mountains/forrest ala King Kong vs. Godzilla? That would have ruled. I thought there were just too many elements (har har) involved during the fight scenes. You really had to concentrate to see what was going on. I must be getting too old also. The speakers were LOUD and the constant rumble gave me a headache. Lol!

Agreed - the mites reminded me of the critters that dropped off the Cloverfield monster. And the fluid was interesting, though I'm not sure what purpose it served.

What I find interesting is that this is the first time I have heard that all movies with a lot of explosions are 9/11 movies. Maybe it is because I do not live in a big city and most reviewers do or because I have a science degree instead of an arts degree. :unsure Does that mean Michael Bay is from the future and that is why he made Armageddon?

It's not just about the explosions, it's more so about the visual representation of the aftermath that were meant to evoke 9/11 imagery. The new Star Trek movie's poster was a prime example where lot of such comparisons were made.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back