Pacific Rim (Post-release)

Just me, or did this movie just get 100 times cooler with a Japanese dub?.....:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say in surprised the film did so well in China, I mean the film is the equivalent of what a Marvel vs. DC film would be here in North America. I just wish it had done better here but regardless, I hope it gets a sequel.

Saw it few weeks ago now, still eagerly want to see it again, can't wait for the blu-ray !

Growing up with japanese anime such as grendizer and later gundam, patlabor, evangelion, I loved the movie !

And the first thing I googled for when I came back from the theater was "jaeger model kit" :D

Weekend Box Office :

Domestic: 1,550,226 --- 96,779,757 Total

Worldwide: 344,179,757

Looks like the movie is running out of steam .....was hoping it could get to 100 million in the US...but not sure now.
Not sure why so many theaters are dropping this movie so quickly......it lost over 1600 of them during the last week.

Last edited:
Would that be like a Japanese version of Star Wars not doing well in the US? It's not like Japan hasn't been making giant robot movies for 50 years... ;)

I read further down on the replies to that link- a guy that teaches in one prefecture in Japan said nobody there even knew about the movie. There was virtually no ad campaign for it, save for a small thing in Tokyo. Which seemed to focus on the little girl..........

They knew all about Brad Pitt and World War Z, though:\

I read further down on the replies to that link- a guy that teaches in one prefecture in Japan said nobody there even knew about the movie. There was virtually no ad campaign for it, save for a small thing in Tokyo. Which seemed to focus on the little girl..........

They knew all about Brad Pitt and World War Z, though:\

That makes sense. I read that there wasn't a lot of ad exposure here for Pacific Rim either, which confused me, because I saw ads and commercials for it all the time. On the other hand, my brother lives outside Houston, TX and said he hadn't heard of it.

In the Chinese theatrical release, the dialog is in English with Chinese subs. Interestingly, Mako's English-subbed Japanese has been dubbed into English. So has Raleigh's--and I believe even Pentecost had a line in Japanese--so there are a couple of rubber-lip moments. Maybe they did it to downplay her nationality for Chinese audiences?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back