Our Collective 5-Foot Millennium Falcon Build

Thanks guys. I have some home work to do to understand the the 5th rivet discussion after already doing my cutting on the Yardley and Sheridan pieces on the main landing gear deck. Will have to go back and rework my dry fit of those kit parts as necessary.
Been playing around with the “belly of the beast” to properly replicate skin, armor patterns and segment lines not to mention engine pit geometry.

SK,
Nice work on your armature in addition to your 5th river persistence with master t2sides.

One of the few benefits of living in the midwest is you can drive over to Plastruct/Evergreen and save your shipping costs...
1668391779075.jpeg

And then some small progress doing test-fitting and reverse-engineering with greeblies and subassemblies later in the week...
1668391719086.jpeg

One of the few benefits of living in the midwest is you can drive over to Plastruct/Evergreen and save your shipping costs...
View attachment 1637901

And then some small progress doing test-fitting and reverse-engineering with greeblies and subassemblies later in the week...
View attachment 1637900
Nice job on main L/G deck layout. Amazing thing is that no matter how much one pays attention to measurement checking, kit parts show you how to adjust. Looks like you have your perimeter edge distances correct.

How do you:
1.) get your forward mandibles perfectly aligned with the rest of the ship?
2.) make sure they are dead-center and "locked in" at exactly 2 inches high?

1670934784312.jpeg

You make a sidewall fascia plate that 'receives' and 'guides' your mandibles.

1670933502510.jpeg

ABS Structural Flanges (SAF-24L to SAF-40L are the pieces to look at on Plastruct.com) from Plastruct with 1/8" channels in the center, along with a center spacer plain strip of ABS, and now you have a fascia plate that is a.) exactly 2" from upper to lower channel, which is, b.) exactly the width of your styrene mandible jaw pieces.

And that dead-center hole cut at 3/4" diameter? That's so you can do this:
1670934941490.jpeg

So that once you epoxy them down conformally to the sidewall, you know for absolute certain that they are placed at the exact center point of the armature sidewall. See those white squares around the rest of the tubes? The ABS Structural Flanges will go "behind" those, obviously, but those are there to lend support/guidance to the rest of the mandibles as they get built above and below them. Those are acrylic cut from a lasercutter, and are also the exact width/height needed to have the 1/8" styrene mandible plates come out to a total height of 2 inches exactly.

1670938846262.jpeg

The hardest part, so far, in all this, is now figuring out precisely how much/little to "trim" the inner curvature of the mandible plates themselves for an exact placement in terms of length. So I won't have pictures of the finished product until a whole lot more reverse-engineering with greeblies and with tip-to-tail measurements are made and I can come reasonably close to a total length of 170cm, or 169.25cm according to the Bandai conversion method. Right now I'm a little "long" overall, but happier to be long than short, because this stuff is basically the world's most expensive haircut -- it's a whole lot easier to cut it off than to grow it back.

Anyway, having a fair amount of fun and excitement as I get closer to the point of making some final decisions and commitments that require epoxy, and permanence, and then I can say I'm actually building the thing instead of endlessly researching it, which is what the last two years has mostly felt like.

I'm actually building the thing instead of endlessly researching it, which is what the last two years has mostly felt like.
Don't feel bad, I've been " building " a Studio Scale Galactica, since 1986, LOL. Me and a friend in the army made a cardboard mockup of the ole girl. It wasn't much, but I was having a hard time explaining what I was talking about. He had never seen the show, or maybe just a few episodes. He was impressed by the mockup. I don't know what ever became of it. Wish I had taken pictures of it at least. It would be good for a laugh at least. What's 2022 - 1986, 36 years, WOW ! Oh well it's not the destination it's the journey, someone wise once said.

Don't feel bad, I've been " building " a Studio Scale Galactica, since 1986, LOL. Me and a friend in the army made a cardboard mockup of the ole girl. It wasn't much, but I was having a hard time explaining what I was talking about. He had never seen the show, or maybe just a few episodes. He was impressed by the mockup. I don't know what ever became of it. Wish I had taken pictures of it at least. It would be good for a laugh at least. What's 2022 - 1986, 36 years, WOW ! Oh well it's not the destination it's the journey, someone wise once said.
Bwayne64,

Is it true that the Galactica uses 2 pieces from the Bandai 1/24 M60? If so, can you tell me which pieces they are, as I might be able to mold/cast them for you (if you don't already have them, of course). I'm a "Star Wars-only" kind of guy, and find Star Trek and Galactica to be a form of "cheating" on my first true love, so even though "I've looked" at some of those films or TV shows, I've never partaken of their forbidden fruits... and thus know nothing of their intimate details... ; )

SK,
Great pictures of how you are going about “rigging” your Falcon. These show an incredibly strong armature and beautiful plexiglass looking disc. Goes without saying you validated your mandible toe-in and toe-out.

I got lucky in my engine deck envelope. Bottom landing gear plateau was easier on kit part layout. Also, got lucky on cockpit & tube diameter due to postings on this web sight. Got lucky on approximate overall 2” mandible height for same reason in spite of the lack of the Pontoon Bridge. Too thick a overall mandible thickness however will not allow a gap above and below the joint that mates with the front “cut back” wall. The end of the Duster gun barrels the can then not go under the skin / armor overlap.

Without going into detail my biggest rework areas were as follows, mainly due to not having key kit parts in the beginning of the build.
1. Sheridan height for jaw box mouth for about a 3-1/2” I.D. Insert.
2. “Cut Back” of front disk diameter at base of jaw box as it is actually behind the disc wall.
3. FALGAL side wall I.D. gap is about 2-3/8” for insert not counting any skin & armor plate overlap unless significant taper is desired on top and bottom of casting, before applying armor overlap.
4. Overlap of disk armor as it relates to docking ring side wall outboard length. Use the vertical Sea Lab plate as a jig.

If any of the above does not make sense, please PM me. If you have been there, you know what I mean.

Sorry guys for being so verbose.

Bwayne64,

Is it true that the Galactica uses 2 pieces from the Bandai 1/24 M60? If so, can you tell me which pieces they are, as I might be able to mold/cast them for you (if you don't already have them, of course). I'm a "Star Wars-only" kind of guy, and find Star Trek and Galactica to be a form of "cheating" on my first true love, so even though "I've looked" at some of those films or TV shows, I've never partaken of their forbidden fruits... and thus know nothing of their intimate details... ; )
I appreciate that. There are over 20 parts from the M60. There are 4 large scale Bandai tanks used on the Galactica. The 1/24 M60, the 1/24 Panther G, the 1/24 King Tiger and the 1/15 Hummel Tank. I managed to snag a Hummel for $150 back in the day. Before the price gouging insanity, ; ) I really want the Panther G #35405, but can't find one for a reasonable price, if at all. It has parts for almost every ship in Galactica. It's a grail kit for this show. Don't feel bad about" cheating". It's only cheating, if it's your wife or the IRS, ; )

P.S. If you want to see how far down the rabbit hole goes, here are the maps for the Big G.

Last edited:

Can relate. 1997 and the Y-Wing here.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back